Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Deer Dog Recoveries: 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats to you both
    Great looking little dog

Comment

Good looking beagle gyp. I have a couple of tri-color males that would make some great pups if you ever decide to breed her. They are both from gun dog bloodlines.

Comment

Great job pyrobow. Getting your the other hunters on your lease is on board with training a dog is not always easy.

Comment

Man, I love this thread.
          I shot a doe late Saturday night and after waiting thirty minutes, I got down and went to look for some blood. I had a bit of foamy blood where the doe jumped the fence into the thickest stuff you can imagine, so I backed out and went and got Alison.
          It was pitch black when I got back, but when I stopped the Ranger she hit the ground fast looking for some scent. She immediately found the blood that I had found and she took off through the fence. I climbed over, slowly because of my gracefulness and went to look the direction she had run. I saw no blood or dog, so I called her and she came running back and stopped to bark at me, then ran back, so I knew she had found it. I tried to work my way through the thicket and lost her again, so I called her again. She did a repeat of the first time, so I followed the way she went and sure enough she was tugging at the deer.
          I gave her a good congrats, then started my 100 yard drag through the thicket. It would have been easier, but the dog was pulling one way while I pulled the other.
          I don't think I would have found that deer at all, if not for my dog.
          sorry, but I didn't take pictures this time.

Comment

Attaboy Ron.
            I have wondered if I tried that with Bagley, would she go back to the deer or just strt following me around.
            After we find one, I make her heal and follow me out.
            If I leave her with it she will rip the guts out before I can get back.
            That sure would be handy if she would do it

Comment

Buff, she ain't gonna leave that dear unless it's moving with her, I bet Bagley doesn't want to leave her deer either

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                Man, I love this thread.
                I shot a doe late Saturday night and after waiting thirty minutes, I got down and went to look for some blood. I had a bit of foamy blood where the doe jumped the fence into the thickest stuff you can imagine, so I backed out and went and got Alison.
                It was pitch black when I got back, but when I stopped the Ranger she hit the ground fast looking for some scent. She immediately found the blood that I had found and she took off through the fence. I climbed over, slowly because of my gracefulness and went to look the direction she had run. I saw no blood or dog, so I called her and she came running back and stopped to bark at me, then ran back, so I knew she had found it. I tried to work my way through the thicket and lost her again, so I called her again. She did a repeat of the first time, so I followed the way she went and sure enough she was tugging at the deer.
                I gave her a good congrats, then started my 100 yard drag through the thicket. It would have been easier, but the dog was pulling one way while I pulled the other.
                I don't think I would have found that deer at all, if not for my dog.
                sorry, but I didn't take pictures this time.
                Good Job Ron and Alison!!!

Comment

It's a good thing Ally will do that, Ron......

I've tried to keep up with that dog on a track and I just ended up tired!

Folks, this dog can flat-out run, and flat out-run you.
                  She moves so fast, it looks like she isn't even tracking until you get to the deer -- then you realize you have to walk all the way back to where you started

Ron ain't so easy to keep up with either.....

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                    It's a good thing Ally will do that, Ron......

I've tried to keep up with that dog on a track and I just ended up tired!

Folks, this dog can flat-out run, and flat out-run you.
                    She moves so fast, it looks like she isn't even tracking until you get to the deer -- then you realize you have to walk all the way back to where you started

Ron ain't so easy to keep up with either.....
                    Ain't that the truth, I don't even try to keep up anymore. She can't stand it I get out her sight very long, so she will keep coming back to make sure I'm on the right trail I sure am glad for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                      I believe she is from a line of dogs JerryG has been breeding
                      Negative ghost rider! She is out of a line that Jesse Balboa was working while he was overseeing a ranch in Catarina, I honestly don't know where they came from, (jesse knows the lines behind that female). I would be proud to call her from my lines but she is not

Jerryg

Comment

Missed my guess.
                        She sure looks like your male

Comment

She is a pistol

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                          Ain't that the truth, I don't even try to keep up anymore. She can't stand it I get out her sight very long, so she will keep coming back to make sure I'm on the right trail I sure am glad for that.
                          Allison can flat out run ya. When she was 6 months old. I had to get an enhailer just to keep up. LOL> congrads RON. We are soo happy she is working out for you. Give her a big hug and kiss. maybe some day down the line we can hook up and give her a hug..

Kevin

Comment

love my Lacey I put her on some trails last year, and had some recovereys. Haven't had a chance to get her out there this year.

Comment

Well Snickers found the arrow does that count.

Got a call from a fellow TBHer in Comal Co. His friend had hid a buck. almost straight down on it. No blood. Saw him run off with the arrow sticking in and out of him. So I loaded up Snickers and headed to the site.

The problem was he had also shot a doe that ran in the same direction and did bleed. So Snickers was pretty confussed. Since there was not blood of the buck to start him on. I decided to do a perimater search and fence line. The grass was extreamly tall an there might be a chance he was layin down in the grass. We did this for an hour with no luck. Headed back to the original site and when we got there Snickers was 60 yards behind us and wouldnt come to me. We went to where he was and he was standing ontop of a bloody arrow. We were able to pick up the blood trail from that point on and Snickers tracked him for 200+ yards but then it dried up. The hunter had to get home and we were pretty sure he jumped the fence but could not determine where. So we called it a night. Both Snickers and I were exhausted.
                              IFI can tell you anything is make sure you take a backpack or fanny pack with water for you and your dog and extra batteries or flashlight.

Comment

Good try snickers..

Comment

Working...
                                X