Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Turkey Tour 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Hell I'm not concerned....I'm just making conversation in quarantine.

On the flipside there is plenty of discussion going on behind the scenes about the JMalin parameter setter types...
    Not surprised by that at all.

Comment

One more week and I get to join in the fun! Running up this weekend to check cameras for birds, and take a look around. Season opens on Wednesday, I will be heading up Thursday evening or Friday, and will try to get the little man on a bird. Hopefully the weather will cooperate, and so will the birds!

Comment

They were hot midday today boys! Gunna try to call one up for a buddy tomorrow then will be hitting the road to NM to maybe get one roosted before dark. If not, I know a couple of spots lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
          And 1% out trees??? [emoji23][emoji2957]

Haha

The only time they aren’t in transit!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
            They were hot midday today boys! Gunna try to call one up for a buddy tomorrow then will be hitting the road to NM to maybe get one roosted before dark. If not, I know a couple of spots lol

Congrats. Glad they are gobbling somewhere. Good luck in NM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post

Was there any corn in his craw?

Comment

Hunt recap. Started out misty this morning. I didn’t bother to get out early. Hit the woods around 11 with it still misting outside off and on. Got a bird to gobble almost immediately, but across the highway with a high fence between us. Sometimes the neighboring place has their gate open, so I attempted to lure him that way, but when I got there, I saw the gate was closed and when I worked back closer to the bird, he had lost interest and moved on or simply shut up. He gobbled a good 15-20 times as I attempted to drag him several hundred yards. Moved towards the center of the ranch and had a distant bird answer the box from what seemed like a long ways. Closed the distance some, tried to strike him again, but no success.

The mist kicks back up and I take cover under an oak tree for 10-15 minutes before he gobbles on his own, not having moved much. I have a much better bead on him and move in. I call again and he hammers inside of 200, so I sit down and setup in a pretty nice opening that I felt a bird might do some strutting in. He gobbles again, I answer, and a hen also starts yelping. I yelp back aggressively. Bird gobbles, hen yelps more. I continue to call but after a couple go unanswered, I decide to dial it back to see how it’s going to play out. After several minutes of silence, I give a few quiet clucks on the slate and the gobbler hammers in response and has closed the distance. A few more minutes pass and then I see two hens emerge out at 40 or so yards. Great! Only a matter of time until the gobbler is in view. But to my dismay, he’s well out of shotgun range when I first lay eyes on him, skirting me like they often do. The hens stay relatively close though and they move from right to left. The hens settle in about 30 yards out to my left mostly obstructed from view by cedar and agarita that make up the understory of my setup. The Tom disappears from view last in sight at about 80 yards. I yelp on the diaphragm and get no response. He gobbles on his own, and I fire some jake yelps. He gobbles back. I fire back. He fires back once more, and then nothing. A few minutes pass and with the hens still close, I still feel okay. Then I hear him drumming, but hard to tell from what direction. I assume he’s moving closer to the hens, so I crawl a couple of yards from the oak I’m resting my back against to the agarita bush that’s partially blocking my view of the hens. Another couple of minutes pass and then the Tom emerges from a spot I would have been able to shoot from the oak. Luckily I’ve got a great backdrop and he doesn’t make me. I’m able to swing on him when his attention turns to feeding for a moment and I’m able to bust him at 30 yards.
                Last edited by TwoHighways; 04-17-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Way to go JMalin!!

Comment

Well, I'm gonna head out in the morning to Oklahoma and try my hand on some public land birds. Don't have to be back till Wed., so hopefully I can find a bird by then.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                      Well, I'm gonna head out in the morning to Oklahoma and try my hand on some public land birds. Don't have to be back till Wed., so hopefully I can find a bird by then.
                      Been looking at some walk in hunting areas myself, but for now, I’m focused on New Mexico. Good luck and post up a report.

Comment

Well....literally had my azz kicked last weekend. We going back at em tomorrow and gonna hunt for several days on some different properties. Season opens up for us “Eastern” boys on Wednesday.....so I’ll be back for that. Think I might just take the whole week off and turkey hunt....err....I mean....social distance!!

Comment

Made a quick afternoon hunt in with my wife after work. Saw 3 lone hens and bumped 3 gobblers on the way in. Figured we’d blown it before we got good and started. Only toted one shotty and left the decoys and popup in the truck. Made 3 stands moving down the creek each time. It seemed to rain each time we’d move. Third stand had a single come in and my wife shot it. Never gobbled just came in looking for the hen silently. It was flopping around as we stood up, and noticed two more longbeards headed our way in the field. Couple yelps and they ran in to the flopping bird that had just been shot and I shot one. The other one took off like a ruptured duck. We sat there for a brief moment and my wife pointed out there was a lone longbeard down the road just standing with its head held high. I couldn’t see it but called once and she said here he comes. Killed him as soon as he came into range. None of the 4 birds that came in gobbled once. Not even a shock gobble at the report of the shotgun. Kinda odd but whatever it takes I guess. There was a feeder about 220 yards to me north. We did not deer hunt them like Jmalin has been doing[emoji1787]. They ended up being two 11’s and a 10 3/4” with good hooks. One more tag to go for myself. It’s been tough, but all it takes is 10 good minutes to turn a slow evening around......

I made a promise to my little one to take quality pics next time and get her in on the action.

Comment

Turkey Tour 2020

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post

Made a quick afternoon hunt in with my wife after work. Saw 3 lone hens and bumped 3 gobblers on the way in. Figured we’d blown it before we got good and started. Only toted one shotty and left the decoys and popup in the truck. Made 3 stands moving down the creek each time. It seemed to rain each time we’d move. Third stand had a single come in and my wife shot it. Never gobbled just came in looking for the hen silently. It was flopping around as we stood up, and noticed two more longbeards headed our way in the field. Couple yelps and they ran in to the flopping bird that had just been shot and I shot one. The other one took off like a ruptured duck. We sat there for a brief moment and my wife pointed out there was a lone longbeard down the road just standing with its head held high. I couldn’t see it but called once and she said here he comes. Killed him as soon as he came into range. None of the 4 birds that came in gobbled once. Not even a shock gobble at the report of the shotgun. Kinda odd but whatever it takes I guess. There was a feeder about 220 yards to me north. We did not deer hunt them like Jmalin has been doing[emoji1787]. They ended up being two 11’s and a 10 3/4” with good hooks. One more tag to go for myself. It’s been tough, but all it takes is 10 good minutes to turn a slow evening around......

I made a promise to my little one to take quality pics next time and get her in on the action.

Outstanding. Congrats !

Comment

PoPo and I are back at it this morning

Winds blowing pretty good but the birds are still here somewhere. I’m hoping the large group of jakes has moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post

Good work!

Comment

Working...
                                X