Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Turkey Tour 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
    Pulled cards in Brady Friday night and was pretty disappointed. Some birds around but nearly as many on cam as there were a few weeks ago. I went and hunted by a roost I found this summer that I scouted a couple weeks ago. Jurassic park gobbling at daylight but the birds were on the opposite side of the creek. They flew down and went the opposite way.

Had a bird as far away as I could hear on my side answer me whenever I called. He worked his way up to about 80 yards gobbling, strutting, and drumming. Put on a great show. Then he stopped it all and walked off. I turned around and saw a cow was standing in my decoys. Literally the only cow I had seen all morning came in the few minutes that bird was closing. So frustrating.

Finished camp chores and began hunting again a little before 2 PM. Walked and called the whole pasture, under the roost, all through the creek bottom, by the water, everywhere, and couldn’t buy a response. About 15 minutes before sunset birds lit up all up and down the creek. Called in the only 2 birds on my side, which were two jakes that put on a good show gobbling and strutting.

I elected to go back to the same spot Sunday morning mostly because I just left all my stuff there. Sunday morning started the same, lots of birds talking on the other side of the creek. Saturday was cloudy and overcast, and Sunday was clear and sunny, but the birds literally pitched down at the exact same minute both mornings. Two different waves of birds pitched down at the exact same minute both mornings. Crazy stuff.

Once they flew down, the birds across the creek went in the opposite direction, so I assumed they were gone. A few birds gobbled way up the hill from me on my side, so I stayed where I was to let them come closer.

After a while of no other action, it got to be 7:45, and I was going to give it until 8 before I got out to go chase the birds up the hill. I let out a loud raucous calling sequence one more time from that spot before I left. The birds across the creek gobbled instantly. They were a lot closer than they were before. They did it to me the day before though, so I didn’t pay much attention to it.

At 7:50, I heard it.

WOP WOP WOP, WOP WOP WOP WOP, WOP WOP WOP WOP. I instantly grabbed my bow and knew they were on the way. They just flew across the creek.

Less than a minute after that, the first red head popped out.Soon two more followed. I confirmed that they had long beards and got ready. They had gobbled a bunch all morning from across the creek and three of them were now closing the distance. The sun was behind me and couldn’t have lit them up anymore, and the strutter was just slowly walking and drumming in. It was all you could ask for on a turkey hunt.

The problem though, was that they flew over on the opposite side of where I expected birds to come from, so my decoys were all positioned wrong for them to come in and put on a show. That led them to not do what I needed them to do for a clean bow shot. Although they were in range, they started to skirt the set up and the strutter went behind some catclaw.

After a minute or two of watching I knew they weren’t coming all the way in. They were just at the far edge of my turkey bow range, and with some small brush in the way, I decided to set the bow down. I grabbed the shotgun and broke the beautiful silence of the morning.

10.25” beard and the big spur is 1.375”.

Interestingly, I threw every call I had at them all weekend, all my diaphragms, box call, everything. The only thing they would respond to was the slate call. Even the jakes from Saturday wouldn’t respond to anything but the slate.

This season has been really rough for most of the places I hunt. Glad to finally have filled a tag.

Heck yeah! Congrats!

Comment

Great picture. Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on the Tom!!

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
          Pulled cards in Brady Friday night and was pretty disappointed. Some birds around but nearly as many on cam as there were a few weeks ago. I went and hunted by a roost I found this summer that I scouted a couple weeks ago. Jurassic park gobbling at daylight but the birds were on the opposite side of the creek. They flew down and went the opposite way.

Had a bird as far away as I could hear on my side answer me whenever I called. He worked his way up to about 80 yards gobbling, strutting, and drumming. Put on a great show. Then he stopped it all and walked off. I turned around and saw a cow was standing in my decoys. Literally the only cow I had seen all morning came in the few minutes that bird was closing. So frustrating.

Finished camp chores and began hunting again a little before 2 PM. Walked and called the whole pasture, under the roost, all through the creek bottom, by the water, everywhere, and couldn’t buy a response. About 15 minutes before sunset birds lit up all up and down the creek. Called in the only 2 birds on my side, which were two jakes that put on a good show gobbling and strutting.

I elected to go back to the same spot Sunday morning mostly because I just left all my stuff there. Sunday morning started the same, lots of birds talking on the other side of the creek. Saturday was cloudy and overcast, and Sunday was clear and sunny, but the birds literally pitched down at the exact same minute both mornings. Two different waves of birds pitched down at the exact same minute both mornings. Crazy stuff.

Once they flew down, the birds across the creek went in the opposite direction, so I assumed they were gone. A few birds gobbled way up the hill from me on my side, so I stayed where I was to let them come closer.

After a while of no other action, it got to be 7:45, and I was going to give it until 8 before I got out to go chase the birds up the hill. I let out a loud raucous calling sequence one more time from that spot before I left. The birds across the creek gobbled instantly. They were a lot closer than they were before. They did it to me the day before though, so I didn’t pay much attention to it.

At 7:50, I heard it.

WOP WOP WOP, WOP WOP WOP WOP, WOP WOP WOP WOP. I instantly grabbed my bow and knew they were on the way. They just flew across the creek.

Less than a minute after that, the first red head popped out.Soon two more followed. I confirmed that they had long beards and got ready. They had gobbled a bunch all morning from across the creek and three of them were now closing the distance. The sun was behind me and couldn’t have lit them up anymore, and the strutter was just slowly walking and drumming in. It was all you could ask for on a turkey hunt.

The problem though, was that they flew over on the opposite side of where I expected birds to come from, so my decoys were all positioned wrong for them to come in and put on a show. That led them to not do what I needed them to do for a clean bow shot. Although they were in range, they started to skirt the set up and the strutter went behind some catclaw.

After a minute or two of watching I knew they weren’t coming all the way in. They were just at the far edge of my turkey bow range, and with some small brush in the way, I decided to set the bow down. I grabbed the shotgun and broke the beautiful silence of the morning.

10.25” beard and the big spur is 1.375”.

Interestingly, I threw every call I had at them all weekend, all my diaphragms, box call, everything. The only thing they would respond to was the slate call. Even the jakes from Saturday wouldn’t respond to anything but the slate.

This season has been really rough for most of the places I hunt. Glad to finally have filled a tag.

Bout time you got somethin killed, that bird had a death wish![emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Starting to cooperate a little more. Setup near a water source with a hen nearby that I glassed up but didn’t spook. Called once, nothing. Waited 10 minutes, called again, gobble within 200 yards. Then the hen starts yelping and we have a little back and forth with the gobbler occasionally answering. I dial back the calling at this point to see how it’s going to play out and if the hen was going to drag the gobbler away. I can hear him drumming faintly and then more distinctly, but I honestly thought the bird had circled around me. Then the hen comes in silently and a few moments later the Tom emerges at 50. The hen ends up inside of 10 yards eyeballing the decoy and I shoot the Tom at 15.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
              Starting to cooperate a little more. Setup near a water source with a hen nearby that I glassed up but didn’t spook. Called once, nothing. Waited 10 minutes, called again, gobble within 200 yards. Then the hen starts yelping and we have a little back and forth with the gobbler occasionally answering. I dial back the calling at this point to see how it’s going to play out and if the hen was going to drag the gobbler away. I can hear him drumming faintly and then more distinctly, but I honestly thought the bird had circled around me. Then the hen comes in silently and a few moments later the Tom emerges at 50. The hen ends up inside of 10 yards eyeballing the decoy and I shoot the Tom at 15.

Nice! Congrats

Was this first thing in the morning or midday??

Comment

I feel like yesterday and today have been the prettiest days of the season so far

I’m not sure when I’ll be back after em

Comment

Been slow here. They just dont seem interested. Hear gobbles occasionally not really responding to my calls. Finally got my first one interested a bit ago. Would return with a gobble and could hear him get closer. He was behind me so I moved to the other side of the opening and he ends up going way around to the left and came up behind me.

Ended up getting about 20yds behind me in the brush. I can see him but Im pointed the wrong way. Not in a popup. So I shut up and he moves away. Then I call again and he gobbles. Eventually I decide to shut up ao he will go looking for the decoy and give me a shot.

Just wont come out. Moves around gobbling but wont come into the opening. I wait till a wind gust comes and call hard and loud to cover up my footsteps and move back to the other side of the opening. I want him to think she is leaving.

Nope. Stays put. I call a while and he keeps responding but wont come out. Hes about 50yds away. Finally I shut up again for a while to make him think he is missing out and come out to find her. Nope again..hes gone. No response...sonofa..

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                    Nice! Congrats

Was this first thing in the morning or midday??
                    Pulled the trigger at 3 pm. Had one other responsive gobbler (but not interested enough to come to the call) around noon.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                      Been slow here. They just dont seem interested. Hear gobbles occasionally not really responding to my calls. Finally got my first one interested a bit ago. Would return with a gobble and could hear him get closer. He was behind me so I moved to the other side of the opening and he ends up going way around to the left and came up behind me.

Ended up getting about 20yds behind me in the brush. I can see him but Im pointed the wrong way. Not in a popup. So I shut up and he moves away. Then I call again and he gobbles. Eventually I decide to shut up ao he will go looking for the decoy and give me a shot.

Just wont come out. Moves around gobbling but wont come into the opening. I wait till a wind gust comes and call hard and loud to cover up my footsteps and move back to the other side of the opening. I want him to think she is leaving.

Nope. Stays put. I call a while and he keeps responding but wont come out. Hes about 50yds away. Finally I shut up again for a while to make him think he is missing out and come out to find her. Nope again..hes gone. No response...sonofa..
                      I’m no stranger to gobblers skirting setups. It sucks and I think maybe it’s influenced by the number of jakes around, but that’s just a wild *** guess. Best thing to do is to let them walk away, make a big circle around the bird, and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post

What he said ^

It’s been one of those seasons for us. Sometimes a little motion in the decoys will do the trick, sometimes silence, but most times it doesn’t matter what we do.

Comment

Pulled the trigger at 3 pm. Had one other responsive gobbler (but not interested enough to come to the call) around noon.

So I gotta ask....

Your “deer hunting” turkeys comment from earlier.....how was this hunt (or any hunt for that matter) different?

Figure them out, get where they want to go, and get em. Ain’t that what we’re trying to do every hunt??

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                            So I gotta ask....

Your “deer hunting” turkeys comment from earlier.....how was this hunt (or any hunt for that matter) different?

Figure them out, get where they want to go, and get em. Ain’t that what we’re trying to do every hunt??
                            I had a conversation with them today.

Comment

I had a conversation with them today.

I don’t follow

So you base your satisfaction on the amount of gobbles you hear?

Comment

A rancher friend of mine in Lampasas said birds were talking and strutting strong from mid-February to mid-March in his place. He hasn’t heard any gobbling in April. Very weird season.

Comment

Working...
                                X