Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
    I don’t follow

So you base your satisfaction on the amount of gobbles you hear?
    Honestly, having a bird work is more satisfying than simply killing a bird, but ideally, you want both.
    Last edited by TwoHighways; 04-15-2020, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Birds in Live Oak county not behaving right at all. Almost no gobbling for week now. Had 3 gobblers and 10 jakes all grouped up and refused to gobble. Did see em work a couple hens in field but not overly interested.

Having said all that, wife got her first double though, so can't complain too hard. Luckily we were set up on side of the road leaving field that they wanted to use.
      Attached Files

Comment

Congrats TwoHighways and TomTalker! Nice birds!

Going to pull cards from the Medina county place this afternoon/evening. Two cameras are in fields that have ponds in the middle of them. On normal years, there will be several hens that nest by each field with gobblers visiting the fields most days. This year they've been almost empty. Some decent activity in early to mid March and almost nothing after that.

If this card pull is still slow I might have to turn into a jake hunter and get some camp meat
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
          Birds in Live Oak county not behaving right at all. Almost no gobbling for week now. Had 3 gobblers and 10 jakes all grouped up and refused to gobble. Did see em work a couple hens in field but not overly interested.

Having said all that, wife got her first double though, so can't complain too hard. Luckily we were set up on side of the road leaving field that they wanted to use.
          Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on the birds! Headed to Brady this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
              Honestly, having a bird work is more satisfying than simply killing a bird, but ideally, you want both.

I concur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                I’m no stranger to gobblers skirting setups. It sucks and I think maybe it’s influenced by the number of jakes around, but that’s just a wild *** guess. Best thing to do is to let them walk away, make a big circle around the bird, and try again.

You must have a big feed pen if you can circle the bird without him seeing you......

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                  You must have a big feed pen if you can circle the bird without him seeing you......

Comment

Whelp, yesterday afternoon in Medina county was another bust. No birds on camera again. Saw a couple gobbler and hen tracks around one of the ponds from sometime this past week but that's about it. The birds don't roost on the property I hunt, but I can see the creek they roost on a couple hundred yards away. Set up for the last hour and a half of daylight. Didn't hear a peep all evening.

Heading to Sonora this weekend. Hopefully there are birds around out that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                      I don’t follow

So you base your satisfaction on the amount of gobbles you hear?
                      Not necessarily the amount of gobbles, but 'tricking' the bird and making him do something against his nature is way more satisfying than plinking one off a feeder or sniping one in transit.

Disclaimer: I don't care how anyone kills turkeys as long as they end up in the skillet!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                        Not necessarily the amount of gobbles, but 'tricking' the bird and making him do something against his nature is way more satisfying than plinking one off a feeder or sniping one in transit.

Disclaimer: I don't care how anyone kills turkeys as long as they end up in the skillet!

Agreed on the feeder....

But cutting off a turkey in transit and making him work is not satisfying to you?

Comment

I mean seriously.....what is something "against his nature?" He's looking to breed when he's coming to your call....that is totally natural. He's always either in transit to food, water, turkey poontang or the roost to sleep when we do get him to work. He does it every day in the wild during the spring. He's always in transit when looking for girlfriends...he has to do the others to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            I mean seriously.....what is something "against his nature?" He's looking to breed when he's coming to your call....that is totally natural. He's always either in transit to food, water, turkey poontang or the roost to sleep when we do get him to work. He does it every day in the wild during the spring. He's always in transit when looking for girlfriends...he has to do the others to survive.
                            Tom's going to the hens is not the natural order.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              Tom's going to the hens is not the natural order.

Well hell...somebody needs to give my Toms El General's turkey bible. Our Toms cruise all the time looking for girlfriends. It's natural as hell for my place... They walk around solo gobbling for suitors after the hens break off mid morning/afternoon have been bred.. See it and hear it all the time. It's nothing to hear a Tom gobble a couple of times out of the blue and watch him appear. It's also nothing to have a Tom appear silently and he struts into the hen dekes crossing a field to do so.....no calling required.
                              Last edited by Smart; 04-17-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Agreed on the feeder....

But cutting off a turkey in transit and making him work is not satisfying to you?
                                I just meant sitting on a road, trail, etc and snipe him when he comes by as opposed to getting him to work/commit
                                Last edited by eradicator; 04-17-2020, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X