No announcement yet.

Turkey Tour 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple gobbles on the roost this mornin but nada since. It sure was nice to hear em!

Comment

Turkey Tour 2020

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post

Made a quick afternoon hunt in with my wife after work. Saw 3 lone hens and bumped 3 gobblers on the way in. Figured we’d blown it before we got good and started. Only toted one shotty and left the decoys and popup in the truck. Made 3 stands moving down the creek each time. It seemed to rain each time we’d move. Third stand had a single come in and my wife shot it. Never gobbled just came in looking for the hen silently. It was flopping around as we stood up, and noticed two more longbeards headed our way in the field. Couple yelps and they ran in to the flopping bird that had just been shot and I shot one. The other one took off like a ruptured duck. We sat there for a brief moment and my wife pointed out there was a lone longbeard down the road just standing with its head held high. I couldn’t see it but called once and she said here he comes. Killed him as soon as he came into range. None of the 4 birds that came in gobbled once. Not even a shock gobble at the report of the shotgun. Kinda odd but whatever it takes I guess. There was a feeder about 220 yards to me north. We did not deer hunt them like Jmalin has been doing[emoji1787]. They ended up being two 11’s and a 10 3/4” with good hooks. One more tag to go for myself. It’s been tough, but all it takes is 10 good minutes to turn a slow evening around......

I made a promise to my little one to take quality pics next time and get her in on the action.

Attaboy! Helluva day right there! Congrats to both of y’all!

Hopefully they weren’t in transit to eat, drink or roost somewhere before you cut them off so the satisfaction was off the charts !![emoji12][emoji41][emoji23]

Comment

Turkeys, if there are any, were silent west of Llano this AM. Not sure what we should be doing. Maybe just too scattered out. Water everywhere on the landscape. Haven’t heard a gobbler yet and no interactions with turkeys since the hens opening weekend. Can’t believe the wouldn’t gobble this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had one gobble behind us at 8:08 but been quiet since.

We’re sittin til about 10

Comment

Good roost gobbling this morning, but wrong side of the fence. Haven’t heard much since. Cool, overcast. Should turn on when the sun breaks out this afternoon, but I’ll be on the road at that point.

Comment

The big spurred bird were after just cane cruising through at 45 yards

Showed zero interest in our set.

He may have been the one gobbling behind us but I’m not certain.

Comment

Had 4 gobblers hammering on the roost, heard them pitch off at 7:01am, this bird came from the opposite direction quietly till he got the the cross fence and hammered a gobble out at about 85 yards. Got repositioned and my buddy made it count at about 35 yards. His first bird of the year. The rain set in so we called it a morning after finding some arrowheads

And a man sized breakfast

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                  The big spurred bird were after just cane cruising through at 45 yards

Showed zero interest in our set.

He may have been the one gobbling behind us but I’m not certain.
                  Stay after him

Comment

Stay after him

Gettin personal now

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Attaboy! Helluva day right there! Congrats to both of y’all!

Hopefully they weren’t in transit to eat, drink or roost somewhere before you cut them off so the satisfaction was off the charts !![emoji12][emoji41][emoji23]
                      They are in route to the skillet this evening!

Sometimes when I’m out in the middle of the pasture and there is not a feeder, roost, or water source within a mile or so, I daydream about hunting under feeders like “Jmalin both streets” does....��

Comment

Had 4 gobblers hammering on the roost, heard them pitch off at 7:01am, this bird came from the opposite direction quietly till he got the the cross fence and hammered a gobble out at about 85 yards. Got repositioned and my buddy made it count at about 35 yards. His first bird of the year. The rain set in so we called it a morning after finding some arrowheads

And a man sized breakfast

Very nice! I’m a bit jealous! What call is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Well hell...somebody needs to give my Toms El General's turkey bible. Our Toms cruise all the time looking for girlfriends. It's natural as hell for my place... They walk around solo gobbling for suitors after the hens break off mid morning/afternoon have been bred.. See it and hear it all the time. It's nothing to hear a Tom gobble a couple of times out of the blue and watch him appear. It's also nothing to have a Tom appear silently and he struts into the hen dekes crossing a field to do so.....no calling required.
                          True that. Gobblers will also gobble when returning to the roost in the PM. They may or may not have hens and are looking as the head to the roost. I have killed many when they have done this.

Comment

Scored in Kennedy County this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                              Very nice! I’m a bit jealous! What call is that?
                              Thanks! John Sinclair titanium over slate. Turned out of some mesquite burl I sent him. High pitch resonates well and can be used for fairly long distance locating calls. It’s cost a few dozen gobblers their ghosts......

Comment

That’s a sweet looking call for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X