No announcement yet.

F150: 5.0 or ecoboost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 2011 eco with 95k and just got a 2015 platinum with eco. The 15 has a rumble to the exhaust and the 11 always sounds like a toy helicopter. The technology package, auto-park, afaptiveCrus control and backup cross traffic collision warning is great.

Comment

Looked at some 2015s had a 2.7l v6 ecoboost. That seems small. The older ones I looked at had 3.5l ecoboost. Is that 2.7l something new?

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
        Looked at some 2015s had a 2.7l v6 ecoboost. That seems small. The older ones I looked at had 3.5l ecoboost. Is that 2.7l something new?

The 2.7L is a smaller Eco option. They still have the 3.5L .

I have both. 2012 5.0 work truck and 2014 Ecoboost. 5.0 gets better gas mileage but the Eco has way more power! Love my Ecoboost

Comment

Originally posted by spotsanddots View Post
          Some what new. You can still get the 3.5

Comment

I had a 2013 eco and liked the power. Pretty amazing for an engine that is just over 200 cu. inch displacement. What I could not tolerate was the lack of a decent suspension on the F150. Hook a boat on the back and it would feel really squishy. I had wrecked my F250 that I used with the livetock trailer. I knew that it was stupid to try to use the F150 to haul even two or three cows at a time so I got rid of the 150.

If you are not going to tow with the truck the Eco is a good choice. I was getting a solid 20 mpg combined driving and could get 23 on highway trips. I now have a 6.7 PS that give me 16 mpg and has a solid suspension for hauling and towing.

Comment

I hear a lot of 5.0 guys on this thread saying the Ecoboost exhaust sounds weird.

That's only because they hear it blowing past them on the road. Eco with a programer is very fun love mine.

Comment

I drive a '15 CC 4x4 for work with a 5.0 in it. Drives good, plenty of power. Do good to squeeze 15 mpg out of it though. And tiny gas tank. My projected range when I fill up is just over 300 miles. My '14 Ram with Hemi personal truck, though, I regularly see 21-22 mpg on the highway, average 17 in combined. More power than the 5.0 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Buddah View Post
                  I hear a lot of 5.0 guys on this thread saying the Ecoboost exhaust sounds weird.

That's only because they hear it blowing past them on the road. Eco with a programer is very fun love mine.
                  What programmer are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                    I had a 2013 eco and liked the power. Pretty amazing for an engine that is just over 200 cu. inch displacement. What I could not tolerate was the lack of a decent suspension on the F150. Hook a boat on the back and it would feel really squishy. I had wrecked my F250 that I used with the livetock trailer. I knew that it was stupid to try to use the F150 to haul even two or three cows at a time so I got rid of the 150.

If you are not going to tow with the truck the Eco is a good choice. I was getting a solid 20 mpg combined driving and could get 23 on highway trips. I now have a 6.7 PS that give me 16 mpg and has a solid suspension for hauling and towing.
                    I thought it was better to tow in the Eco?

Comment

I'm about to roll 22k in my '13 ecoboost. I have no idea why folks are complaining about the ecoboost towing/handling, as mine will flat scoot with or without a trailer. No complaints about mine.

Comment

I love my Eco. More low end torque so it pulls in a higher gear than 5.0. Basically engines are twins though.

I went with the Eco because I pull my boat a lot.

Pulls my 24'6" Seahunt bx24 in 6th gear at 70.

Comment

What am I doing wrong!!!!!!!! the most I get on the highway is 16.5 with the ecoboost. City its 15. The only thing I've done is a level kit and put one size bigger tires. I think 275/65.

I'm sick with myself, yesterday took it to the wash and backed in to vacuum, went to far back, pulled up and apparently did not make it all the way to park. Drivers door got bent back by a pole. I'm so ****** with myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            I have an Ecoboost, and even though it does have some torque, I won't own another.

The 5.0 actually gets better fuel mileage, but it's a terd otherwise.

I'd look into the Ram with the Hemi and 8 speed transmission or the Ram Ecodiesel.
                            If you think the 5.0 is a terd, wait till you drive the ecodiesel. I wasn't impressed at all with its performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                              If you think the 5.0 is a terd, wait till you drive the ecodiesel. I wasn't impressed at all with its performance.

The only thing the eco diesel does well is get good fuel mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                The only thing the eco diesel does well is get good fuel mileage.
                                I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X