No announcement yet.

F150: 5.0 or ecoboost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a 2013 FX4 with ecoboost.... By far worst vehicle I've ever owned. Wouldn't buy another Ford and sure wouldn't get an ecoboost!

Comment

I have an Ecoboost, and even though it does have some torque, I won't own another.

The 5.0 actually gets better fuel mileage, but it's a terd otherwise.

I'd look into the Ram with the Hemi and 8 speed transmission or the Ram Ecodiesel.

Comment

Love my Ecoboost 2014 model love the power

Comment

I've been very pleased so far with the new 2015 5.0
          Getting 16 mph mixed with 34" tires and leveling kit. [emoji106]

Comment

14 5.0 and it pulled a pickup bed full of 20 bags of corn, a water tank with 65 gallons of water in it and a 22' RV behind all that with no problem. Love mine!

Comment

I have the Eco and like it very much. For those that have them and don't like them, why? The only thing I don't like is the fuel mileage isn't as good as other full size trucks.
              I was in a wreck a few days ago and had the chance to drive a dodge with the hemi and a F-150 with the 5.0. The hemi had the power of the Eco and then some, and the 8 speed transmission is nice but has no leg room for a 6'7" guy. So I took it back and swaped it out with the 5.0. The 5.0 doesn't have the power of the Eco or the Hemi. Both get better fuel mileage than my Eco, both were 2015 models and both were 2 wheel drive. My Eco is a 2013 FX4.
              Again I'm curious why don't y'all like your Eco's? I really like mine.

Comment

Truck

I have a 2013 with 95,000 miles on it and I love mine. Pull 16 foot trailer quite a bit with it and I love mine!!!!!!!! Plenty of power!!!!!!

Comment

Guess I'm in the minority but I have been very impressed with the EcoBoost. Very smooth revving, quiet, and VERY responsive. You goose it and it jumps immediately. I also like how the power band is at much lower RPM. Get it to about 2700rpm in 1st and you have 420lbft of torque from then on up to highway speed.

The EcoBoost engine is Eco OR Boost not Eco and Boost. Driving in manual, I can get over 20mpg pretty easily in mixed city and highway, including Houston traffic. Drive it like a performance engine or put the truck under load and mileage drops to 17. Still pretty good for a 4dr 4x4. The computer is definitely programmed to produce max power and torque when the turbos kick in, so the truck drives awesome at all times. Sometimes that may be overkill whereas the 5.0 produces gradually more power and torque to its max at 3800-4000 rpm.

I dunno, I like mine and would definitely buy another. What I'd REALLY like to see is an EcoBoosted 5.0. To heck with gas mileage that thing would be a total monster!

Comment

I've had a 2013 fx4 with Eco now got 15 with 3.5 Eco.. I'm a Chevy guy, switched to ford because the turbo charged Eco. Lots of low end torque, pulls great and very quick. Fuel mileage is overrated a little but, they are big trucks.. I drove the 5.0 it was kind of a dog. I've never had an issue with either of them. A lot of old school folks don't believe in a v6 and turbos... But, I like them way better and they out pull my old Chevy 5.3l engines easily. Get the Eco, you will be happy. Drive them both and you will feel a huge difference. The 5.0 has to rev up high to make torque where the Eco makes torque at 2,200 rpm similar to a diesel. I'm not downing the 5.0, I'm sure it's good but I personally love the Eco for its torque. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      I have an Ecoboost, and even though it does have some torque, I won't own another.

The 5.0 actually gets better fuel mileage, but it's a terd otherwise.

I'd look into the Ram with the Hemi and 8 speed transmission or the Ram Ecodiesel.
                      If I was buying a half ton truck I'd buy the Eco Diesel.

Comment

Yes!

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                        Guess I'm in the minority but I have been very impressed with the EcoBoost. Very smooth revving, quiet, and VERY responsive. You goose it and it jumps immediately. I also like how the power band is at much lower RPM. Get it to about 2700rpm in 1st and you have 420lbft of torque from then on up to highway speed.

The EcoBoost engine is Eco OR Boost not Eco and Boost. Driving in manual, I can get over 20mpg pretty easily in mixed city and highway, including Houston traffic. Drive it like a performance engine or put the truck under load and mileage drops to 17. Still pretty good for a 4dr 4x4. The computer is definitely programmed to produce max power and torque when the turbos kick in, so the truck drives awesome at all times. Sometimes that may be overkill whereas the 5.0 produces gradually more power and torque to its max at 3800-4000 rpm.

I dunno, I like mine and would definitely buy another. What I'd REALLY like to see is an EcoBoosted 5.0. To heck with gas mileage that thing would be a total monster!
                        I'd love to see that last sentence happen!

Comment

Eco boost, tows more and is way more powerful. On Houston Freeways its great, I can fly right into openings with the turbos that I couldnt with a regular engine. I hate driving my wifes because of this. ALso we tow a 30ft travel trailer around the state and it flies.

Comment

I also enjoy my 36 Gal gas tank in my 2014 5.0

Comment

You forgot the best combination ford has ever put out, F150 with the 6.2!! Have a 2011 and it has it all the torque and get up you will ever need. Get 14/15 in Dallas driving with big nitto's and a leveling kit. Put a tuner, K&N, and exhaust and it flat screams not to mention is a blast to drive!

Comment

Dad has a 14' eco and I have a 15' 5.0, my 4x4 5.0 gets better real world MPG than his 4x2 ecoboost. The only thing I like better about the eco is the way it takes off, feels like a race car for the first 2 seconds, not that the 5.0 is slow but doesn't pull quite as hard. But I pull the ecoboost on the top end becasue the power falls off at a pretty low RPM and the 5.0 is a high strung SOB. Again those things arent too important in a truck. I would go 5.0 again if I bought a new one today.

Comment

Working...
                                X