Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F150: 5.0 or ecoboost?

Got a '14 ecoboost.
    I was averaging 16.2 mpg with a level kit, stock tires and a SCT tuner on 93oct performance tune.
    Not the best gas mileage but it will flat out run and plenty of power.
    Put bigger tires on 295/55/20 and gas went down to 14.2 mpg

When I hook up my 12' dbl axle trailer with samurai, 35gal water tank, 500lbs corn going to lease I think I average around 8mpg but you don't even notice it back there.

I have a tow tune and a economy tune also but have not tried them out cause I really like the performance tune

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
      I have an Ecoboost, and even though it does have some torque, I won't own another.

The 5.0 actually gets better fuel mileage, but it's a terd otherwise.

I'd look into the Ram with the Hemi and 8 speed transmission or the Ram Ecodiesel.

The 2015 5.0 has 385HP/387TQ

The 2015 Ram 5.7 Hemi is 390HP/407 TQ

Negligible difference in numbers so I don't see how you feel the 5.0 is a terd but the Hemi wouldn't feel the same? 5HP/20TQ is not even able to be felt.

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE.A View Post
        Headed to the lease. 5.0
        No way you were getting 21 mpg going over 70 mph unless you were going downhill or just gunned it prior to taking the pic. I have had the 5.0 since they came out and it has been a great truck but the only time that truck has seen over 20 mpg was when the engine was off and it was on the trailer going to the dealership.

Comment

I eco gets just under 20 mpg if I stay about 75 or less on the highway. My 5.0 never got much over 17 doing the same.

Comment

Have a bunch of both for work trucks. If you are going to be doing much towing I would go with the eco. If you aren't I would go with the best deal.

I think a lot of the folks fuel mileage issues with the eco are those keeping their foot in it because they are fun to drive.

Comment

^^^^ This, it is hard to stay out of it. He'll you can chirp the tires in 3rd gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Lethal Injection View Post
                No way you were getting 21 mpg going over 70 mph unless you were going downhill or just gunned it prior to taking the pic. I have had the 5.0 since they came out and it has been a great truck but the only time that truck has seen over 20 mpg was when the engine was off and it was on the trailer going to the dealership.
                Definitely. Stop and going I get around 17. Allow you drive it. Don't get in a huge hurry accelerating. Ease up to speed padding people. Don't downshift. Stuff like that. The 6 speed is awesome. I'm 100% stock at the moment. 31,000 on the same tires. All original. Gonna put a leveling kit and some large tires on very soon. My wife's 2010 5.4 2wd gets 22-24 on the highway if driven right. I keep up on my oil changes as well never go over 6k miles. Motocraft synthetic blend.

Comment

Originally posted by Lethal Injection View Post
                  Just got back from Corpus a few minutes ago. South side of Corpus to NW side of San Antonio. On cruise at 78 on I37. Averaged 20.7 according to the built in unit. It's usually off a tad but my normal highway trips are between 19.5 and 21.5 depending on how flat it is.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
                    Just got back from Corpus a few minutes ago. South side of Corpus to NW side of San Antonio. On cruise at 78 on I37. Averaged 20.7 according to the built in unit. It's usually off a tad but my normal highway trips are between 19.5 and 21.5 depending on how flat it is.

Are you all stock also? 4x4?

Comment

Pull the engine performance specs and tow schedule off the ford website. Anyone telling you the V8 engine is bettereither has never owned an eco boost or is in love with their truck so nothing is better or if they owned one it was a freak lemon. There is literally nothing about the V8 that out performs the V6 with twin turbos.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                        Pull the engine performance specs and tow schedule off the ford website. Anyone telling you the V8 engine is bettereither has never owned an eco boost or is in love with their truck so nothing is better or if they owned one it was a freak lemon. There is literally nothing about the V8 that out performs the V6 with twin turbos.

Sound of exhaust on it?

Comment

Sound of exhaust on it?
                          Can't hear it running. Silent untill the turbos whistle while you fly by everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                            Can't hear it running. Silent untill the turbos whistle while you fly by everyone.
                            I mean if you put aftermarket exhaust on it. You're not gonna get a deep rumble like a V8. I know lots of folks don't care or want exhaust. My buddy got an eco when it came out. I drove it a few years back. It is pretty quick.

Comment

I mean if you put aftermarket exhaust on it. You're not gonna get a deep rumble like a V8. I know lots of folks don't care or want exhaust. My buddy got an eco when it came out. I drove it a few years back. It is pretty quick.
                              Yeah, you're not gonna get the rumble. My wife has a GMC Denali with a Corvette engine in it. Will turn heads it growls so loud but I get frustrated on the highway driving it because my Eco drives circles around it. I need twice the distance at least to overtake someone on the highway with the monster.

Comment

I bought a 2015 FX4 about 6 weeks ago and STRUGGLED with engine choice. I had decided on the 5.0 but still had the dealership pull 2 identical (and I mean identical other than the engine) trucks around front for me to drive. I test drove them back to back on the same route and my thoughts were the 5.0 sounds awesome and is plenty quick but nowhere near the seat of the pants acceleration of the EB. I ended up getting the 3.5 EB mainly because it was cheaper, I know the EB is supposed to be a several hundred dollar upgrade but for some reason (ford incentives I think) it ended up being a little cheaper. I am really having a hard time getting used to it in a good way. It is smooth, has tons of power and is so quiet all compared to my 10 year old Ram Hemi I traded in.

I however do not get good fuel mileage. It is 14ish in town and 16-17ish on the highway and that is babying it. The computer mileage on mine is not accurate to what it is currently getting.
                                Last edited by Cantcatch5; 12-20-2015, 05:45 PM. Reason: ..

Comment

Working...
                                X