No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have to try out this 'trick pin' idea and see how it works with my setup. Would have come in handy last year when I was trying to make a follow-up shot on an elk that was moving at an unknown distance and I didn't have time to range it.

Comment

I just received my antelope yesterday. I got my mule deer several weeks back

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
        TWP I'm very interested in this. What happened shooting under 20? Our white tails would need to use the same 3 inch pattern as antelope in the examples I think.
        I can shoot just about anything with my top pin up close.

I was listening to the Jim Burnworth podcast on the Rich Outdoors Podcast and it reminded me of the Trick Pin system. I like aiming at the heart, instead of aiming below the animal. With a trad bows arch, you aim at the deer's knee up close, point on mid range and high back once it gets out there. But this takes practice, everyone's set up is different. The faster the bow, the less variance or smaller gap you will have. I'd go test it out and prove to yourself where your sweet spot is and where it falls off the side of the cliff. I have been playing with this for several days and I am really enjoying it. This is more for elk with me, but imagine putting your single pin at say 44 yards and know that from anywhere around your blind come deer season that you can hold that pin on anything around your shooting lanes. 22 yards bam, 37 done, one pin, no extra movement.

Comment

2 months away exactly and we are headed to Utah. This is the earliest I've gone on a hunt, so it's got me all jacked up. I have a feeling I won't b as prepared as I normally am.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

DEAL ALERT!!!
            Defender outdoors in Fort Worth has all their first lite gear at cost until they sell out.

I just got
            a pair of corrugate guide pants
            A Chamma hoodie
            And 2 pairs of new aero wool boxers

For $230.00 [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              DEAL ALERT!!!
              Defender outdoors in Fort Worth has all their first lite gear at cost until they sell out.

I just got
              a pair of corrugate guide pants
              A Chamma hoodie
              And 2 pairs of new aero wool boxers

For $230.00 [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Geez I'd kill for several pairs of the aero wool boxers. I love my red desert boxers from FL but haven't tried the new and improved.

How much were the boxers?

Heck I can always find uses for good merino and good prices. I'd be interested in some shirts too.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                Geez I'd kill for several pairs of the aero wool boxers. I love my red desert boxers from FL but haven't tried the new and improved.

How much were the boxers?

Heck I can always find uses for good merino and good prices. I'd be interested in some shirts too.

They were 24$ I think. They will ship. Just give them a call.

Comment

Anybody want to accompany me on a 10 day colo limited elk./deer hunt in wilderness with pack horse?
                  must be in no hurry. in reasonable shape, and can handle hours of sitting still and glassing. I have taken many bulls in this area and am primarily hunting big timberline bucks. we will be camped at 11.500 and moving to different areas until we find "the buck"
                  I will provide all food and transportation from el paso.. Just need personal gear. sleeping bag and some packing backcountry experience preferred.but not essential. dates are aug 23.sept 7 2017. pm me if interested.,

Comment

Thinking about using QAD exodus heads this September. Are either version, full or swept, legal in New Mexico?

Comment

Not really elk related but Wyoming deer and antelope results are out

Comment

Originally posted by eyedoc View Post
                        Thinking about using QAD exodus heads this September. Are either version, full or swept, legal in New Mexico?
                        No restrictions

Comment

Our group will be making our final decision on which unit tonight. 78, 80, & 42 are what we have narrowed it down to. Looks like we are going to try and leave Burnet around September 15th and hunt thru the 23rd. Been planning a trip like this with my brothers for a long time, glad it's finally happening! If anybody has any info ( no honey holes) about these units I will gladly accept any guidance!

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                            Not really elk related but Wyoming deer and antelope results are out
                            My group drew haulasselope buck tags but not doe?
                            Last edited by justletmein; 06-22-2017, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Looks like it's unit 78 for us ... good luck boys

Comment

We're doing unit 80/81 OTC archery this year. It will be my first elk hunt, much less my first DIY and public land hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X