No announcement yet.

"Official" Davy Crockett National Forest hunt thread 13-14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close encounter. Bucks are chasing here.

Comment

Originally posted by snikrah View Post
      Close encounter. Bucks are chasing here.
      What area are you in?

Comment

I am heading down at noon. Are you guys in the Kennard area? I plan to set up in Alabama Creek....Hopefully it will not be a ghost town this weekend.
        Last edited by tbeard; 10-18-2013, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tbeard View Post
          I am heading down at noon. Are you guys in the Kennard area? I plan to set up in Alabama Creek....Hopefully it will not be a ghost town this weekend.
          I'm not leaving town until about five I won't get down there until around eight and I still have to set up stands it's going to be a long night

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
            What area are you in?
            Just north of kennard. 2 yotes just stepped out. Heard about 5 packs this morning. Have a feeling thats what scared off the deer I saw earlier.

Comment

I will be on the lookout for TBH stickers when I head into kennard to currys.

Comment

Originally posted by boliverpete View Post
                I hunted alone out there a few years ago. I printed my wife a map of the forest, showed her where the truck would be parked and where my tree was. Told her if I'm not back by Sunday morning, tell the police this is the area my tree is in and that's where'll you'll find my body. Hunted until it was pitch dark, exhausted, and decided not to walk the trail back to the truck as it winds thru the forest and takes forever. I knew if I walked in a straight line from my tree I could make it back to the truck and save a ton of time. So I walk and walk and walk and walk and walk and never find the road. Evidently I have one leg shorter than the other and can't walk in a straight line. All the trees look the same in the dark and it settles in that I'm LOST. So I keep walking, treestand on my back, back pack strapped to the stand, bow in one hand and flashlight in the other all the while thinking that I'll eventually find the road. Left my compass in the truck, no cell service, completely overcast so I can't see any stars, not even a breeze to help me figure out which way north was. Every where in front of me are green eyes staring at me. I look behind me three pairs of orange eyes and now my flashlight is dying. And now the panic is setting in. I'm about to grab my stand and climb up a tree and hang out till morning but I remember what I told my wife and she'll think I died if I don't show up in the morning and now my body wont even be where I showed her. The only thing that kept me from losing it was the area I hunt has a road that goes all the way around it. If I can just walk straight, I'll eventually hit the road. Finally saw head lights and about collapsed when I got to the road. Ditched all my gear and made it back to the truck.
                Been there several times. Im terible in the woods. The best thing that ever happen is GPS. Luckily the area I hunt now, I know like the back of my hand. Have to stick to trails when in a new area. My Grandpa use to take us out and tell us we were lost. We would build a camp fire and spend the night out there. In the morning, we would walk out. That use to scare me to death. Granpa though would never panic, just keep walking.

Comment

Yes I carry a compass and my GPS on my cell phone.
                  I grew up coon hunting 40 years ago in Land Between the lakes in KY....walking most the night in the woods with just a light on my hat listing to the coon dogs run. Never used a compass and GPS was not around but we never went alone! Looking back I think man that was nuts

Comment

Did you find em Garguy?

Comment

Anyone hunting this afternoon?

Comment

Tom, you in the woods yet??

Comment

Hey Jordan.... Just checked my phone. I got in tree at 5:30

Comment

Got my Doe permit in the mail today for the Alabama Creek WMA..did anyone else get drawn.

Comment

I didn't but I have a doe laying down 60 yrds from me right now. Buddy hunting the next tree line over from me had a small 6 walk by him earlier. Anyone else seeing anything?

Comment

Got my Doe permit for Alabama Creek WMA a couple of days ago. Deer activity has been slow for Alabama Creek. Pulled my camera yesterday and all deer pic's are at night. Something has to change soon!!

Comment

Working...
                                X