Which saltwater fish tastes best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Man View Post
    I plan on trying these next outting just to finally say i did and have my own first hand opinion on it
    Lol, honestly they eat absolutely fine. I caught a few in the surf, filleted them out and fried em up. Good flakey meat and tasty!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote=rvd;15138938]
      Originally posted by doug View Post

Would you share your cilantro sauce recipe?
      That is Doug's, and I'm sure he will share it. He' a great dude!

Comment

I think it depends on how you cook your fish.

Fried - redfish is great, followed by specked trout

Baked - flounder can be amazing in you debone it and stuff it with crab meat. Redfish we use a Buffalo Aioli toping (spicy), no additional seasoning needed. Specks we use a Dill Aioli toping with salt and pepper.

Panko - we also bake the speck and reds with a Panko coating.

Comment

Not sure why flounder is so popular other than the fact it really has no taste.
          Trout by far has the most flavor since its high in fat. Fat = flavor in any food.

Trout
          Redfish
          Flounder

Comment

[quote=Burnadell;15139579]
            Originally posted by rvd View Post

That is Doug's, and I'm sure he will share it. He' a great dude!
            I dont know about all that.

Heres the sauce we use. Its actually a kind of copy of the sauce at Chuys mexican place. Put it all a blender or processor and get it to a good consistency. Its actually better the next day.

1 cup sour cream
            1 cup mayonnaise
            5 tablespoon dry Ranch Dressing Mix
            1/2 cup pickled jalapeno peppers
            1/2 cup fresh cilantro
            2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Comment

inshore, trout is my favorite with flounder being a close second.

I love to eat sheepshead but HATE cleaning them.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                Fried trout is really good but unless I’m cooking for a large group I rarely fry trout. I typically cook it on the griddle (really hot and only turn once) in a little avocado oil and the coastal seasoning from H‑E‑B (comes in a flat tub). That with a squeeze of lemon once it’s on the plate with some griddled asparagus...yessir
                I'm gonna remember that!! Hey Justin Livingston! Trout bite year round down there?!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Randy.....there ain't nothing better tasting.....than a hard earned COOKIE!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    I can't say that I have ever eaten trout but love redfish, flounder and snapper. We are going bayfishing in November and wonder what to target.

How does trout compare to redfish, flounder or whatever else we might catch in November?
                    To answer your question, Speckled Trout are awesome table fare, if you can get past the worms.

Comment

Sheepshead is my favorite inshore fish, but I never catch them any more because I only throw lures now. They're a pain to clean, but worth the work!

Redfish, trout, and flounder are all good to me as well.

Comment

Barrelfish - 900ft down - a mix between Lobster & Crab in texture and white, firm and flakey when cooked.

Another one of the tasty Lobster/Crab texture and taste mix.......California Sheepshead! This species is unreal - white, firm and flakey as well. These guys eat spiny lobsters along the Baja - no fin fish - like sheepshead, they love crustaceans and these guys get left coast spiny lobster to fatten up the flavor.

Florida Pompano - another shrimp/clam shellfish eater that is awesome table fair - no scales. Gut and toss these guys on a hot fire, peel the skin off and pick the white meat out - buttery with a hint of apple smoke is how these go down at my house.

The big pomps, those that push 20" plus......the filets are sushi level raw. This is a Brute FITTY for a pomp size review.

Golden Tilefish - sweet lobster/crab like flavor and so darn deep to target offshore with a light bite.

Pacific Yellowtail - HAMACHI - Wonderful sushi with the right oil content

Hamachi - Pacific Yellowtail sushi grade

Comment

Randy.......all I'm missing....is a Momma San .....SON

Someone spotted her down Seadrift way one weekend.......

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                            To answer your question, Speckled Trout are awesome table fare, if you can get past the worms.
                            Worms? KRAPP!!! I didn't know about those!

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                            Randy.....there ain't nothing better tasting.....than a hard earned COOKIE!

A hard earned cookie? I had to read that 3 times, Rob!

Thanks for the lesson on the other for table fare!

Comment

Black drum aren’t getting near enough credit. A drum up to 18 or 20 inches is fantastic- grilled or fried. I like reds about equally, but spend time cleaning the red meat off the fillets. Flounder is great and versatile. Trout are good, but in don’t like them as much as the others. Easier to clean than a red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wahoo - ONO - There isn't a way I couldn't fix this fish. It's cooked the minute it's off the bone IMO. ONO Steaks, crusted with a firm panko crust, then baked covered in cheese and Pico de Gallo at 375 for about 40 minutes and serve hot. It's unreal and steaks 3 inch plus thick, all are firm, white and juicy moist.

Then there's the ONO/AHI Poke bowl using fresh wahoo and yellowfin tuna. No fire needed - it's already cooked right off the bone!

Comment

Working...
                                X