Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Which saltwater fish tastes best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flounder

Trout are the best fried IMO
    Reds are delicious grilled on the half shell!

Comment

They are all good if prepared properly.

To answer the OP's question, Speckled trout is a fine delicate meat similar in texture to small snapper or flounder. They often have worms, but not as bad as black drum...but are still OK to eat even if they do.

Redfish is my favorite of them all as long as they aren't too big.

Comment

All of them are pretty good. Get tired of flounder sometimes fried trout is great.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Triple tail by far the best
          Flounder second, but I hate fishing for them
          Trout third
          Redfish fourth

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            In all seriousness. Sheep head and mangrove are top when it comes to bays and November. Flounder are also good on the table. Drum, reds, trout are all decent as well.
            I'm gonna agree with sheep head and mangrove. I sure do like those little drum we been catching too!

You know Glen im thinking Randy might like one of those Garca fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              Offshore- wahoo

Inshore- flounder and 15–20” speckled trout hot out of the grease is hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I agree

Comment

I love speckled trout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Flounder has about as much taste as cotton. Puppy drum tops bay fish.
                  This x10
                  Small drum.....flaky, clean and juicy

Comment

Flat Fish... hands down..

Comment

Thanks for y'all's input, I felt that I would get a plethora of answers, but I needed the info. I have eaten flounder and love it. I also love redfish and snapper on the hallfshell (the only way I cook it). You have convinced me that trout is apparently excellent table fare (best fried?) and thrown in a few other species of fish I would not have thought of! I appreciate it!v

Doug and glen, I'm sure it would be a fight to catch a Garcafish, and I'm not sure we will have a large enough lure. Plus, I'm sure I would have to release it once I got a sighting ! Also I know in my younger years, glen, I would have sample one of those Mermaid fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                        This x10
                        Small drum.....flaky, clean and juicy
                        Only a commercial fisherman would say that! Lol although puppy drum are pretty tasty there are plenty better out there in the salt.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          Trout are good. You are not gonna find a guide that will sheephead fish I’m guessing. They are not fun to clean. I think they are as good as some of the offshore species. Mangroves are not often targeted by bay guides.

Who you book with will dictate what you go fish for most of the time
                          Agree. We target sheepshead winter/spring, they’re pretty sporty on the fly, I have a 7wt w/ fast sinking line we call the “sheepshead rig”.

I like most saltwater game fish, a lot depend on how you prepare them but you can’t go wrong with flounder/trout/reds for the table.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                            Agree. We target sheepshead winter/spring, they’re pretty sporty on the fly, I have a 7wt w/ fast sinking line we call the “sheepshead rig”.

I like most saltwater game fish, a lot depend on how you prepare them but you can’t go wrong with flounder/trout/reds for the table.

Thanks for the input, usually I will be grilling them, but it sounds like speckled trout need to be fried? I'm okay with that. Are fried trought as good, or better, than fried catfish?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              Thanks for the input, usually I will be grilling them, but it sounds like speckled trout need to be fried? I'm okay with that. Are fried trought as good, or better, than fried catfish?
                              Absolutely. Fresh trout is my favorite to fry. If you’re looking to stay healthier try it skillet blackened. Get your limit of flounder then chase yella mouths.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                                Trout are different but as good fried as catfish to me. Both are a little soft for grilling though, at least to me. Glen and I been catching a lot of drum and reds lately and they are perfect grilled. I really like them in a fish taco.

Where and when you going?

Comment

Working...
                                X