No announcement yet.

Broken Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

major difference here is wild animal not domesticated. I was taught to not let our animals suffer cows,hogs, goats etc. Because they were under our care, but a wild deer with a broke leg is not. Like everyone above nature has a way of handling it's own wild animal injuries and illnesses. Been taking care of itself since creation. If the animal is under your care and is domesticated you are responsible for it's well being. To say a persons morals are out of wack because they won't break a law to kill a deer with a broke leg is way out of line. Morals are one person's life values, not applied to all...I've had deer hung up in fences and released them with a broke leg to give them a chance at life. Way to good of survival rate in my area to kill for a lame foot.

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
      major difference here is wild animal not domesticated. I was taught to not let our animals suffer cows,hogs, goats etc. Because they were under our care, but a wild deer with a broke leg is not. Like everyone above nature has a way of handling it's own wild animal injuries and illnesses. Been taking care of itself since creation. If the animal is under your care and is domesticated you are responsible for it's well being. To say a persons morals are out of wack because they won't break a law to kill a deer with a broke leg is way out of line. Morals are one person's life values, not applied to all...I've had deer hung up in fences and released them with a broke leg to give them a chance at life. Way to good of survival rate in my area to kill for a lame foot.
      First of all, no one has stated anyone's morals are out of whack. Some of us are willing to do this and some not. I will agree that I have seen deer that have survived with a broken leg. I believe I stated above that severity of the injury was a prevailing factor.But I have to emphatically disagree with you on deer hung up in fences. Fence hung deer typically not only damage their trapped foot, but also pull the hip out of socket and severely damage tendons and ligaments. I have tagged a fence hung deer and I can speak from processing it, the damage was similar to what you would see in a gunshot wound abscent the hole. The first deer I found like that I made the choice of just cutting it free. The deer flopped around and drug itself about 10'. I went to town and returned approx. 3-4 hrs later. It was still in the same location, but had wore a hole in the hard Uvalde dirt. I took care of the problem then. Each situation is a case by case basis, common sense and compassion both taken into account. What it all breaks down to is can you you look into the mirror and be OK with the choice you made.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
        When I turned around to check it out you could see where lots of folks had circled into the bar ditch to check it out but noone did anything for him. You could tell he had been there a long time and you can see in the pic where he has torn up the ground pawing with his front legs.

That is a great scenario, and the answer is obvious.

There is a reason that deer was still there and you seen so many car tracks in the ditch going to look at it.
        It is against the law to kill it out of season or off a public highway mate.
        Thats why nothing was done.

And if you cant get a cell phone reception, make the call when you can and give information. Even mark the fence area with something like white plastic sack so it can be seen by the Game warden or whom ever you contacted.
        They would probably kill this animal because it was most likely paralyzed. Then either let it waste or give it to someone needing the food.

Any scenario someone can come up with still revolves around a law being broken to kill it unless, it is during season or you have permits for management. Other then that you have to take any legal actions you can or be a poacher.
        Personally i choose everything but that.

Comment

I would say not to let suffer if you canthelp them.. I had to shoot a dog years ago that was droped off on our land. It had been bit by a snake and the leg was so swollen it was as big as my arm..It was not fun but I could never get close enough to help it..

Comment

There is a BIG difference between a deer that is getting around on it's own with a broke leg and deer caught in fences or busted up by a vehicle. Not good comparisons. If it is getting around on it's own, leave it be.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
              SSS!!!

Geez!!

How many of yall shoot pigs and let em lay? How many shoot yotes and let em lay? Tell me what the difference is between a suffering pig or a deer? Is one animal better than the other? .
              A little off the subject, but this is something that bothers me often. I saw a hunting show one day where they were hunting deer and hogs. While hunting deer, as you would expect, they were respectful of the animal. Lethal shots only. When it came time to hunt the pigs, it was like a bunch of high school kids set loose. One guy was rapid firing at running pigs. Where did the ethics and safety go. I know if my dad saw me doing that, I would get an earful. In my mind, a pig is the same as a deer. I understand that pigs are a nuisance and they need to be controlled. That is why there is no limit/season on them, right? Same with coyotes. I don't really think that an animal as cunning as a coyote deserves to be exterminated. Survival of the fittest. Coyotes are pretty fit if you ask me.

Sorry if I jacked this thread. I hope I didn't open another can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by 152 Sumo View Post
                A little off the subject, but this is something that bothers me often. I saw a hunting show one day where they were hunting deer and hogs. While hunting deer, as you would expect, they were respectful of the animal. Lethal shots only. When it came time to hunt the pigs, it was like a bunch of high school kids set loose. One guy was rapid firing at running pigs. Where did the ethics and safety go. I know if my dad saw me doing that, I would get an earful. In my mind, a pig is the same as a deer. I understand that pigs are a nuisance and they need to be controlled. That is why there is no limit/season on them, right? Same with coyotes. I don't really think that an animal as cunning as a coyote deserves to be exterminated. Survival of the fittest. Coyotes are pretty fit if you ask me.

Sorry if I jacked this thread. I hope I didn't open another can of worms.
                You did! And you did!! But this site is about opening a can of worms. Ethics is at the root of all of these statements. Some here may not be willing to dispense of an injured deer, but would be willing to take an unethical shot at a pig, and then just let it lay. I am not saying that my viewpoint is right for everyone here. We all have our own set of standards. DO you make personal copies at work? Take a pen, paper, staples etc. home? Is this not stealing, thus breaking the law.(by the way, I own my business) Are you viewing the green screen on your employers time? It all shapes who we are. So if you are willing to do these things. Why not dispense of the deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                  There is a BIG difference between a deer that is getting around on it's own with a broke leg and deer caught in fences or busted up by a vehicle. Not good comparisons. If it is getting around on it's own, leave it be.
                  ding ding ding....we have a winner

Comment

I would pull the trigger on a crippled deer. I have.

But wouldn't do it to a bald eagle with a broken wing.

Could you?

Comment

let nature run its course, full coyote on a broke leg deer means one less fawn thats killed

Comment

Originally posted by txdukklr View Post
                        let nature run its course, full coyote on a broke leg deer means one less fawn thats killed
                        That presumes a lot on your part. If it's not during birthing season, your argument holds no water.

Comment

Originally posted by txsteele View Post
                          ding ding ding....we have a winner
                          ...and a loser too... (the deer)

Comment

Done this before. Call game warden. He will tell you that he will not do anything for the situation. I had one one time that I called about, the local game warden told me those exact words. He also told me that if I felt it was going to suffer then call him and let him know I was going to put it down. Its leg was broke just below the knee but after a few weeks the bone fused and he was walking on it. The thing with putting it down though is IT STAYS WHERE IT LAYS. He said there would be no moving or dragging it off. The little guy started getting around better and turns out it was the eight point I ended up with this year with my bow. I have on a few occasions pulled off the road and politely put a deer out of its missery by cutting its throat after having its back broke from being HBC. I will not shoot a gun on or close to the highway. I also then call the local game warden and let him know that I did and where the deer was left laying if I had to drag it off the road.
                            Last edited by HandiKap Bowhunter; 01-23-2009, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter78676 View Post
                              Done this before. Call game warden. He will tell you that he will not do anything for the situation. I had one one time that I called about, the local game warden told me those exact words. He also told me that if I felt it was going to suffer then call him and let him know I was going to put it down. Its leg was broke just below the knee but after a few weeks the bone fused and he was walking on it. The thing with putting it down though is IT STAYS WHERE IT LAYS. He said there would be no moving or dragging it off. The little guy started getting around better and turns out it was the eight point I ended up with this year with my bow. I have on a few occasions pulled off the road and politely put a deer out of its missery by cutting its throat after having its back broke from being HBC. I will not shoot a gun on or close to the highway. I also then call the local game warden and let him know that I did and where the deer was left laying if I had to drag it off the road.

You sir, are the winner! Combining logic and compassion.

Comment

Dont mind being the winner but you just have to make sure you know the rules and have a local GW number. I have the Game Warden name and number for the county I live in and the one I hunt in to make sure I am covered.

Comment

Working...
                                X