Broken Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
    IMO it is selfish and greedy to think a bullet is better than Gods system.
    In this case you have got to be kidding, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Txag96 View Post
      I can't believe what I am seeing here!!! God help your parents if they get cancer or your spouses if they get a bad case of the sniffles

Nature takes care of it's own. If it is in season and you want to use your tag on it, then fine. I would do that if it was in season and I saw one hurt, but there is no reason to break the law (and yes it is illegal, even if most GW's will turn the blind eye... allegedly) for an animal. I respect the quarry and I respect the hunt, but I also respect the law. It is an animal, and nature provides a great equalizer for it.
      IMHO this is what's gone so wrong with the world now. This logic is what has lead to more welfare programs, more labels on hair dryers that say "don't use in a shower or bath tub, and more warning signs on a cup of coffee that tell it is hot. The strong survive and the weak don't. I don't see anyone on here signing up to go to Africa or even a homeless shelter and shoot a bunch of starving or hurt people so we can not have to "see them suffer"
      It doesn't make it right if you put something out of it's "misery" just because you feel bad about it happening. If you had shot it and broke it's leg, or hit it with your truck, then you are responsible and I can see the feeling, but if you didn't it is nature's way. Nature will take care of it, no need to play God.

Just my opinion, but I say it isn't your duty to put it out of it's misery, just because it is hurt. That is nature's duty
      It appears that with your statements Gods gift of "cognititive thought" eluded you! SEE the smiley, don't get your feathers ruffled!

Your comparisons do, however, defy logic. Rethink... and repost. Then we can continue an intelligent conversation.

Comment

no ruffled feathers, I just don't think it is our place to use our "cognitive thought" to take care of something that nature has long before we came along and will long after we are gone. I don't see how my comments defy logic, just extrapolating on other situations. At what point does it become not ok to stop the suffering of something. Is it another person, is it your family pet, is it a deer, is it a spider that has lost a leg?

Comment

no ruffled feathers, I just don't think it is our place to use our "cognitive thought" to take care of something that nature has long before we came along and will long after we are gone. I don't see how my comments defy logic, just extrapolating on other situations. At what point does it become not ok to stop the suffering of something. Is it another person, is it your family pet, is it a deer, is it a spider that has lost a leg?
          If we must...I digress. The reasonable answer to your question is blatantly obvious. If a 7 legged spider scares your wife you kill it. If the family pet is fatally wounded and the vet says no chance for survival, you compassionately have it put to sleep not watch it suffer.( I hope not anyway) If your family member has a major trauma, you seek medical treatment. If no chance for recovery, you remove life support(if that is their wishes). I do not want to be vegetative! IMO this is what most reasonable people would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4speed1 View Post
            If we must...I digress. The reasonable answer to your question is blatantly obvious. If a 7 legged spider scares your wife you kill it. If the family pet is fatally wounded and the vet says no chance for survival, you compassionately have it put to sleep not watch it suffer.( I hope not anyway) If your family member has a major trauma, you seek medical treatment. If no chance for recovery, you remove life support(if that is their wishes). I do not want to be vegetative! IMO this is what most reasonable people would do.
            I see your point, but what if the spider doesn't scare your wife.
            The dog is your reponsiblity,it is yours you own it. I can see that too
            The major trama and removal of life support I can see, but that is their wishes.
            The deer can survive with a broken leg, and more often than not will.
            I don't want to be a vegetable either, but I know several folks (myself included) that have broken limbs, were suffering and no one wanted to put them down.
            Look at the soldiers and Marines that are banged up in combat, and given no chance for survival. They are suffering pretty bad, but they can make it if given the chance.
            Bottom line is, your idea of suffering doesn't translate to what the deer is going thru. A broken leg is hardly "major trauma" with "no chance for recovery"
            If the deer was being mauled and eaten alive by coyotes, would you "put it out of it's misery" then?
            Also look at it from a legal stand point.

Comment

I see your point, but what if the spider doesn't scare your wife.
              The dog is your reponsiblity,it is yours you own it. I can see that too
              The major trama and removal of life support I can see, but that is their wishes.
              The deer can survive with a broken leg, and more often than not will.
              I don't want to be a vegetable either, but I know several folks (myself included) that have broken limbs, were suffering and no one wanted to put them down.
              Look at the soldiers and Marines that are banged up in combat, and given no chance for survival. They are suffering pretty bad, but they can make it if given the chance.
              Bottom line is, your idea of suffering doesn't translate to what the deer is going thru. A broken leg is hardly "major trauma" with "no chance for recovery"
              If the deer was being mauled and eaten alive by coyotes, would you "put it out of it's misery" then?
              Also look at it from a legal stand point.
              If the spider doesn't scare your wife, you kill it any way. If you let it go and she sees another one, she will swear it was the same spider and it is your fault. And you don't know my wife. She sets off car alarms and all the neighborhood dogs start barking when she screams. The big difference between a broken leg in both is the ability to treat. Man can be treated and a wild animal can not be "reasonably" treated. If it was being "eaten alive" by coyotes I would kill the coyotes! A broken leg is a major trauma when it can't run. I have dispatched several deer that were hung in fences. In my case, they were all in season and I tagged them. But these injuries were major traumas.

Comment

My wife is scared to death of them too!!! Pretty funny. I have seen two different 3 legged deer keeping up just fine with their 4 legged partners.

Comment

No I am not a Scientologist, but thanks for asking!!!

Not only is it somewhat shocking to me how many folks are willing to break game laws by shooting a game animal out of season, but it has also been suggested that they would not even attempt to recover the game, which is also a crime!! If you are gonna shoot it and leave it for the coyotes and what not, save your bullet and let them earn it is what I say.

Comment

Originally Posted by Txag96
                    I can't believe what I am seeing here!!! God help your parents if they get cancer or your spouses if they get a bad case of the sniffles
                    this would only be part of the discussion if you are going to catch the deer and take it to the vet.....the rest of the arguement makes about as much sense to me.....i guess i just dont get it.....i was raised to put animals down that cant defend themselves and are going to suffer for a long time in the process...

Comment

For those who say don't shoot, where do you draw the line? What if the deer is hung in a fence with no chance of freeing itself? You know it's alive but it's been there awhile. What if cutting the fence isn't an option? Do you let it be or put one in its head/neck?

I've even seen a deer jump a fence and land in a 5' high cement holding tank (thinking there was good ground on the other side of the fence). We pulled another deer out of the same tank that drowned. They'll swim and swim and swim until they get tired and drown.

Is that nature at work? Sure. But is there anything wrong with ending the battle a little quicker? I don't think so. And no, I'm not worried about a deer's "feelings." I think putting a deer out of its misery is for our own good as much as theirs. They don't think about "suffering," but that's how we see it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                        No I am not a Scientologist, but thanks for asking!!!

Not only is it somewhat shocking to me how many folks are willing to break game laws by shooting a game animal out of season, but it has also been suggested that they would not even attempt to recover the game, which is also a crime!! If you are gonna shoot it and leave it for the coyotes and what not, save your bullet and let them earn it is what I say.
                        Well, it's ok to admit you are a Scientologist...but, sinceyou are not, I know you won't pull a Tom Cruise on us.

I concede that there are a lot of people who are willing to break the law in this case, but to find it shocking is nieve. I would be willing to bet that 100% of the people on this site, and in this nation, break the law on a habitual basis. I bet that you exceeded the posted speed limit or perhaps ran through that red ,er, I mean orange light. In the process of our daily lives most of us violate the law in some form or another violate with or without intent. I knowingly drove my car with the brake light not working and tags expired.

While I agree that nature will take its' course and that I am sure the deer is not thinking that some human should end its' misery, many of us would do this for our own selfish reasons. But I submit to you that God put us here and thus we are an integral part of nature. IMO a deer does have an injury it does experience pain, anxiety and fear. I also hear many stories of hunters who, during the course of a season, kill an in injured deer. Does this meet to your approval, or should the hunter have let nature take it course. Should he exhibit compassion or wait for a better deer to tag?

Comment

And who is to say that my bullet wasn't part of god's plan for that deer anyway.

I have no problem doing what is morally right even if it means bending a law made by man put in place to manage a creature of god.

Comment

if it wasn't for mans law, god wouldn't have any problem with you feeding your family.

Comment

I've got a 3 legged doe running around our place. She has twins every year and is doing just fine. Let her be.

Comment

Quit freakin' out gentlemen.....that deer will most likely survive anyway I've seen a couple three legged deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X