Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Broken Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Leg

I was out at my parents place a few days ago and saw a WT doe with a broken hind leg. Her leg was very badly broken, dangling and flopped around every time she took a step. They are in Kendall county so season is over. A discussion started about what could be done. I argued that there was nothing that we can do. Out of season so mercy killing is out of the question. Calling a GW wouldn't do any good. Any thoughts?

After about twenty minutes at the feeder a couple of Axis ran her, and the other WT, off. She fell when she tried to hurry out of the way.

Quite possibly the leg will fall off, and she'll then be 3-legged. If not, she'll be coyote fodder. No need for a mercy-killing, it's just nature's way. I've seen 3-legged does with twin fawns, so if infection doesn't kill her or coyotes don't catch her, she'll probably adapt.

Comment

I would have just shot her and been done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
        sss

Comment

We had a noce nine point show up this year with three legs. He got around pretty good considering. I don't know how long he had been three legged or what caused it but he was in good shape. Interestingly his off-side antler wasn't really deformed. A little smaller but not by much.

Comment

Out of the question, people doing what they want like this is why we have such stiff hunting regs now. Thank you for that pal.

I agree that the deer may survive and be three legged or even four with a lame leg. Doesnt mean you can just shoot her "out of season".
            Not to mention if your caught doing it would be worse and/or word of it getting around to people of what you did.

Nature is cruel, so let it be.

Comment

dont be a poacher!.

Comment

Originally posted by JLively View Post
                Calling a GW wouldn't do any good.
                How do you know this? It would be the first thing I would do.

Comment

Last year I found a young buck that had a broken leg. I called the GW and he came out and shot it and thanked me for calling.

Comment

well, if you hadnt sen her, it would still be broken. she has to be a deer every day and night, regardless of her health. if she is too slow then she will get eaten by faster predators. If not she will find a way to survive. Let nature take its course without human intervention is what I say!!

Comment

X2 Im not going to let an animal suffer like that.

Comment

I ask again, how may are suffering that you dont see? Let nature do what she does best!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                          I ask again, how may are suffering that you dont see? Let nature do what she does best!!
                          Who knows but he also doesn't have to see those suffer. Sometimes breaking the law is the right thing too do. You just keep it to yourself when you do it. I also have a feeling if it got back to a GW that 8 out of 10 would not ticket you for doing the right thing as long as you didn't take any meat from it They might just suggest that you call them next time.

Comment

Jason I understand what you are saying, but coyotes,crows,buzzards, raccoons, bobcats, worms, fire ants, and what not have gotta eat too. Just because someone actually saw it does not mean that intervention is required.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                              Jason I understand what you are saying, but coyotes,crows,buzzards, raccoons, bobcats, worms, fire ants, and what not have gotta eat too. Just because someone actually saw it does not mean that intervention is required.
                              They will get to eat it. Just sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                              X