Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you spend to save a pet’s life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My main issue with spending money on a pet that's not a producer is the fact that there are so many needy animals out there. If you love your dog and want to spend a couple grand to fix his bum knee, and there's a good chance the surgery will hold, great. If he has cancer and you're spending 10 grand to keep him alive 1 year longer, I think you need to re-examine your life. You could have saved (literally) 10 dogs for that money, or helped a family in need.

My dog was a rescue and has been great, but he's also had a great life and it's rapidly coming to a close. I'll definitely be very sad to see it, but I'm not going to flush money down the toilet trying to extend him when he's not happy anymore because he can't run and do the things a heeler-lab cross wants to do. I'll spend that money on the next couple rescues I pick up.

Comment

It would be in direct proportion to the usefulness of the dog.

I’m a dog person, but I love them for what they are. They’re not people and I don’t “humanize” them.

I wouldn’t spend a single cent on a cat...other than the cost of the .22 shell it’d cost me to be rid of it. (Barn cats are not pets and are exempted from the .22 shell. Still wouldn’t spend money to prolong the life of one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not much. Just a dog to me.

Comment

Regardless of what others post your absolutely correct.
          No he's not entirely correct, certainly not absolutely correct.

But there is help for you both.

Comment

Apparently more than I ever imagined, but it all depends on the circumstances. In Charlie's case, I couldn't put her down over a broken leg, but had no idea she would require two surgeries and lose her tail. No matter what the original estimate is, it's always going to require followup. Learned that the hard way. Once she had the 1st surgery, we were too far invested to not have the 2nd one. Now, my kids come first but if I'm in my power to help our crazy mutt, I will. After her last vet trip though, she's out of 9 lives!

Comment

Dropped almost a grand at the local vet and then $4K on the wife’s horse at A&M and it still died. Only reason we did that it was her baby. Lesson learned, they’re just animals and sometimes no matter what u do they’re still gonna die. We take good care of our animals but they’re on a shorter leash next time.

Comment

Not sure why the people that don't believe in spending money on dogs always seem to devolve this conversation into a 'people are more important than animals' argument, but here we are again....

Fact: some people like some dogs more than some people
                --- get over it

Fact: you don't get to tell anyone what to do with their money -- get over it

Fact: hardly anyone has ever changed anyone's mind by arguing on the internet.

These are what we refer to as reality.

You may want to change how someone else spends their money, but you can't.

If you have issues dealing with reality, I'd suggest you go see someone about that....there are professionals that can help you

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post

Quick question do you have kids? A spouse that you love? If you answer yes to either and then you can tell me that losing a dog would hurt you the same as losing a child or spouse ...well......then I would say you have at least some degree of mental illness........

JMHO.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                    Not sure why the people that don't believe in spending money on dogs always seem to devolve this conversation into a 'people are more important than animals' argument, but here we are again....

Fact: some people like some dogs more than some people
                    --- get over it

Fact: you don't get to tell anyone what to do with their money -- get over it

Fact: hardly anyone has ever changed anyone's mind by arguing on the internet.

These are what we refer to as reality.

You may want to change how someone else spends their money, but you can't.

If you have issues dealing with reality, I'd suggest you go see someone about that....there are professionals that can help you

well said!!

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                      I know its ( obviously ) common to put animals on the same level as people, and people say it regularly, but if anyone here truly believes that dogs ( or any other animal ) is equal to, or above humans, please seek help. Please.There is help for these kind of mental issues, its not your fault.
                      Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post

-john
                      Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post

Here is a easy scenario to see how is right.

You are trying to save a dog and a person from falling over a cliff. You have one in each hand but you aren't strong enough to save them both. You have to let go of one to save the other. You know nothing about ether. If you save the dog he could be the meanest dog in the world and go straight for the throat. The guy could be a Saint or a sinner for all you know. In that context Miket's statement should be "absolutely correct" if you are being honest. If the guy has pedifile tattooed on his forehead, cut him loose.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post

-john
                        You're both wrong

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                          :d well said!!
                          x 1000!

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                            You're both wrong
                            LOL....well played and you are absolutely correct......

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                              People place way too much value on pets these days. To each their own but I grew up in an environment where if an pet had to be put down, you did it yourself. Is that heartless? No, because it was not an easy thing to do. As a society, our perspective on pets has changed. They are not "children" or "kids". IMO.

I'm putting on my flash suit now. LOL.

I know some couples that never had kids(their choice) and treat their dogs as if they were their kids. It borderlines on ridiculous sometimes. Kinda of sad that they were never able to actually experience human children of their own and to know the difference between a human life that you created and a fu*ckin golden retriever that will puke on the floor then eat it. I don’t care how much you spend on your dog, but the comparisons to children are dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can't tell someone what to spend their money on and you can't change their mind on the internet, but you can certainly opine as to whether they are making a wise choice.

I know a guy that spent $200k on purses trying to get his gold digger girlfriend to marry him. While I certainly couldn't tell him not to do it or change his mind about doing it, I absolutely believed and told him he was a fool for doing it.

The OP asked a question and is receiving opinions and feedback in response. Not hard to understand.

Comment

Working...
                                X