Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you spend to save a pet’s life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spent 3K on my hunting dog to fix a busted up leg. I spent a ton of money on my lab for some stomach issues as well as a broke leg. I don't know that I have a cap. I gained a responsibility when I bought them to take the utmost care of them and I think I've done the best I could. I don't have kids yet, so it's just a couple of dogs for us for now. Lol

Comment

If it was a working dog that provided value, I'd spend quite a bit.

My personal pet? Not much. I love him, but he's 12 and those knees ain't fixable. So I'm trying to keep him comfortable to the point that he can't do his dog doos on his own anymore and then there's 1 final check to cut...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        I’m not sure what I would do if all I had was a biscuit eater that I didn’t do anything with but throw a stick for occasionally either. I guess it just depends.

But my past labs have had a lot of time and money invested in them for duck and dove hunting training. When you get a good one it’s more than just putting a 22 to the head and waiting for the next biscuit-eater to show so you do what you can to save them within reason.

I’m not trying to sway your thinking, I’m just explaining why I personally would put a good amount of money into one medically. That being said Abby, I mentioned earlier, was retired from all that and she went from super to “oh ****” overnight. It caught us by surprise so we took a chance hoping to get a few more years out of her considering all we had been through hunting wise in her previous 11 years. And also we have no kids to spend it on.[emoji41]

Not much better in the hunting world than a good working retriever.
        I get that. But you are spending it on a hunting dog, so that's OK in my book. My MIL spent $3K on a lap dog that just sits on the couch all day. SMH
        Sometimes I wish I had a good bird dog, but I have kids to fetch my birds for me. A good dog would probably be a lot easier and cheaper than raising teenagers.

Comment

There's some vet in Houston that specializes on some very difficult and potentially live saving surgery for pets (of obviously rich people). His billings start at like $40k and can go up towards a quarter million, depending on what needs to be done.

He lives in River Oaks and has a waiting list. That guy has it figured out. Bunch of ultra-wealthy people need little Pookie Wookie fixed, and money is no issue.

Comment

Good grief, there are some crazy amounts of money being spent on pets....
            I have loved every pet I ever had, but there’s no way I would spend 1/3 the price of a new truck on one. As wonderful as they are, I don’t consider them to be actual family. My wife and son are family. They are pets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dogs arent kids - Kinda hate when people say that. You may think they are like your kids, but they aren't.

I dont think there is a firm number on what we would pay for my Pup, but it would be determined by the quality of life. I wont spend $500 if it means my 11 yr old barely get around dog will have another year or 2 added on.

I would spend (and have) $1500 to save a Pups life when there is a very good chance there will be no side effects and the surgery would do no permanent damage. Dumb thing about that expense is that we were lied to by the vet, and the puppy never really got around to being a puppy. She was miserable and never fully recovered. Put her to sleep 6 mos. later when the vet asked for another $4k

Comment

What ever it takes!

It's just money - Life is worth way more!

Comment

Hunting or working dogs have value to me.
                  My lab is 13 and spent her entire life in service to me. I will spend as much money to keep her comfortable and as happy at the end of her life as I want to.
                  Her health is going pretty quick but she isnt in pain, her kidneys are failing so I'm probably 200 a month on her right now in special foods and medicines.

She is my buddy and we have spent many years building memories. She is not one of my kids though, she is a good dog.
                  I have had other dogs that where just pets and I wouldn't have spent 200 on them over the course of their lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                    I care more about my dog than almost 7 billion people, so, a lot.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

How much would you spend to save a pet’s life?

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                      I've got a buddy spent north of 6 grand on a cat. Twice.

No way in hell on a cat. Dogs are different[emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreyGhost View Post
                        $0. Pets are a dime a dozen.
                        You must've never had a great dog.

Comment

Originally posted by scjeeptx View Post
                          You must've never had a great dog.

He doesn’t deserve one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I know its ( obviously ) common to put animals on the same level as people, and people say it regularly, but if anyone here truly believes that dogs ( or any other animal ) is equal to, or above humans, please seek help. Please.There is help for these kind of mental issues, its not your fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              No way in hell on a cat. Dogs are different[emoji23]
                              I concur. It's his wife's cat. He had to save the kitty to keep the kitty, I guess.

Comment

A couple hundred bucks. Depends on the problem and the quality of life of the pet.

There's millions of pets that need a home and a CHANCE at having a family. Go adopt a new one and give it a good life.

Comment

Working...
                                X