Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much would you spend to save a pet’s life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My doberman had an enlarged heart. Last year we spent about 7k on bills. Different surgeries, medicine, emergency vet visits.

Comment

Whatever I could comfortably. I like my dogs but I couldn't go broke trying to save one. My family's finances will always be more important than a pet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
        I get that. But you are spending it on a hunting dog, so that's OK in my book. My MIL spent $3K on a lap dog that just sits on the couch all day. SMH
        Sometimes I wish I had a good bird dog, but I have kids to fetch my birds for me. A good dog would probably be a lot easier and cheaper than raising teenagers.
        the thing about it is this: if you go spend $3K on a hunting dog, you're buying him to put him to work. But people who buy dogs for companionship get just as much out of their dogs as others do from hunting dogs. And like you said, kids (or yourself) can go fetch your birds. But a lot of people don't want to spend much time with the MIL, so in a way, her lapdog is more valuable, as it gives her the companionship that you may or may not want to consistently go and give her

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          I can absolutely, 100% guarantee you, and without question, state that it wasn't purses he spent $200K on.
          That is some funny chit right there.....LOL.....

-john

Comment

I'm kinda curious about all of these specific numbers... "I wouldn't spend more than $100, or $250, or $500, or $1000" etc. Like I get that there has to at some point be some sort of limit, but at the same time, is someone really going to be like "I'm only willing to pay $250 to fix my dog. How much? $282? Put him down."

Comment

Gonna spend $800 tomorrow on abscessed teeth on a 13 year old female dachsund....and I would probably spend 10x that amount if I had to.
              That dog helped me get through some incredibly tough times.
              If I sit down, she is in my lap, if I go to the bathroom she sits outside the door, she follows me everywhere......
              And yes I value her more that most people I know

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                A new one at the pound is only like $40 so......$39
                Ha!

A good medium age dog, a few hundred $.
                Young Pup or old suffering dog, not much.
                Vet almost choked when he heard my answer to this same question once.
                It was a stray cat getting “fixed”. He asked me my $ limit if things went south.
                “0”. Truth.

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                  How much money do you give to the local food bank per year?

Well, considering that the next couple years every spare penny of the budget is focused on finishing our debt snowball, then getting an emergency fund funded... we don’t have any funds at this point to spend on giving. Once we get those basics covered... out of our household income, 15% goes to retirement investing, 10% goes to giving, and another 10% goes to college funding for our already 10 year old. If you know anything about economics, that doesn’t leave any other spending money for a below average household income after living expenses.

That’s why I hunt with a 13 year old bow, 9 year old arrows, hunt public land, make my own gear, and borrow what gear I can’t buy.
                  It’s also why I meal prep 30 meals at a time and eat 6 days straight out of a cooler, ensuring that every meal I prep comes out less than $3.75 so we don’t blow our monthly budget.

To some on here, $10,000 is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a pet... to us, it would put us almost 2 years further into our financial goals. So, you can see how those of us who have to budget ever single dollar to make sure there’s enough cash left for groceries before the end of the month (literally) might find it insane to spend that much on a pet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                    Well, considering that the next couple years every spare penny of the budget is focused on finishing our debt snowball, then getting an emergency fund funded... we don’t have any funds at this point to spend on giving. Once we get those basics covered... out of our household income, 15% goes to retirement investing, 10% goes to giving, and another 10% goes to college funding for our already 10 year old. If you know anything about economics, that doesn’t leave any other spending money for a below average household income after living expenses.

That’s why I hunt with a 13 year old bow, 9 year old arrows, hunt public land, make my own gear, and borrow what gear I can’t buy.
                    It’s also why I meal prep 30 meals at a time and eat 6 days straight out of a cooler, ensuring that every meal I prep comes out less than $3.75 so we don’t blow our monthly budget.

To some on here, $10,000 is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a pet... to us, it would put us almost 2 years further into our financial goals. So, you can see how those of us who have to budget ever single dollar to make sure there’s enough cash left for groceries before the end of the month (literally) might find it insane to spend that much on a pet.

Nowww you're making sense! I completely get your situation now. Though I still don't think that what other people spend on their dog is a "waste". Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

See. I have no kids. My gf and I have 3 dogs together and we both make very good money. For me, it’s an absolute no brainer to take care of the only “children” we have ever known no matter the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Depends on age. My wife's dog is a mini Schnauzer and was just plain dumb his whole life. Got into rat poison took I believe $1700ish to save him and we did. Think he's about 10 now ? His teeth were falling out and ended up with a swollen up face I figured snake got him. Wife took him to vet ended up being abcess . Paid to have all the rest of his teeth pulled...he won't eat any canned food she's bought and bow eats people food. I haven't added it up but I'm guessing he's cost 5k on ve bills not including routine shots, heart worm check medicine etc.
                        He came off the street as a pup and didn't cost a dime so. Over all 5k for 10 years so far isn't bad for a lil happiness. You can buy another dog tomorrow but it wouldn't be that same dog.
                        My big dog would fight to the death protecting my kid or wife guaranteed.....what's that worth to you?
                        My big dog has been pretty healthy had a few vet trips that were a few hundred
                        Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 01-25-2018, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                          That's funny right there

How many bums does it take to eat $5,000 worth of soup?
                          Not just "bums" get food from food banks. Single moms working multiple low paying jobs get help there. Old widows raising their grand children get food there. And for the record food banks get food for a lot less than what is paid at the grocery store. So $5000 spent by them is closer to $25,000 for you and I.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

This thread jinxed me. Got a call around noon from my buddy who lets my puppy out that I needed to get home ASAP. Puppy broke its leg on the kennel. Clean break through both ulna and radius. Having surgery tonight.

Comment

Vets have also learned to play on our guilt, I would spend a reasonable amount to a point. Chemo, acl surgery, hip replacement, totally ridiculous IMO. I was raised that a pet is just that a pet

Comment

I work with a guy that spends $600 a month for a private pet setter and drives 60 miles (30 miles round trip twice a day out of his way) 5 days a week just to drop the dog off. That's about a $1K a month just because his wife thinks the dog has anxiety issues and can't be left alone. He estimates they spend between $15-$20k a year on that dog.

THAT IS NUTS!!!!

I'd get a new wife.

Comment

Working...
                                X