What do you consider LOW FENCE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you consider LOW FENCE?

Not trying to bash anyone's opinion on the subject just curios what others think? How about 6k acres with a 100 yard gap open ? Low or high? Or 3 sides high fenced and 1 low to a major highway where the deer would have a difficult time escaping? Another example would be an enormous HF ranch such as the Junco, I'm sure some deer there never even see the fence. Where do you draw the line if any?
    Last edited by Mexico; 04-24-2017, 02:16 PM.

In for the responses!

Comment

For me a low fence ranch is one that is not completely fenced in, at least one entire side of the place is low fence, and still has its native genetics.

Comment

Couple weeks ago I trailed an axis deer on a 12,000 acre hf ranch with about a mile of low fence. I consider that free range.

Comment

But after thinking about it a massive high fenced ranch like Juco I dont see how the deer could possibly be that much different from hunting a low fence ranch.

Comment

The example you stated is definitely high fence with the 100 yard opening.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              Not trying to bash anyone's opinion on the subject just curios what others think? How about 6k acres with a 100 yard gap open ? Low or high? Or 3 sides high fenced and 1 low to a major highway where the deer would have a difficult time escaping? Another example would be an enormous HF ranch such as the Juco, I'm sure some deer there never even see the fence. Where do you draw the line if any?
              What does P&Y and B&C say: 1000' of continuous low fence, all the rest can be hi-fence.

Comment

As an aside Where is Juco? Google isn't finding it.

Comment

I normally don't have a need to split hairs, and the places I hunt are either high-fence as in all of it for management of whitetail genetics and/or containment of exotics, or they are low-fence as in there's not a fence over 4' anywhere on the place.
                  If it is a 15,000-acre place with 3 sides high fenced it's hard to call it either and it's not really technically either, so if it came to splitting hairs I'd probably just call it what it is... a 15,000-acre place with HF on 3 sides.
                  If somebody wants to put a 1' gap in their 50-acre pen fence and call their purchased deer free range, that's their business, but I'd disagree with them if they asked me.

Comment

I think it sold.

Comment

I hunt a high fence property (17,000 acres +/- ) with an open gate and other no-fence leases within. I don't consider it high fence unless it's high fenced on all sides. Another thing: A very large property that's completely high fenced with native genetics ( no pen raised pets ) would be like hunting low fence to me. I don't know exactly where to draw the line on large acreage, but it seems 5,000 acres or so would be a starting point.

Comment

How about this? a low fence ranch within a separately owned high fence ranch? I use to know of a place in South Texas that was 20,000+ acres but there was 2000 acre within that belong to another person ( had an easement ). that place was low fenced.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                          How about this? a low fence ranch within a separately owned high fence ranch? I use to know of a place in South Texas that was 20,000+ acres but there was 2000 acre within that belong to another person ( had an easement ). that place was low fenced.
                          I was thinking of the same scenario and don't have the answer...but I'm guessing the owner of the 2k feels like he's LF since his boundaries are low?

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                            What does P&Y and B&C say: 1000' of continuous low fence, all the rest can be hi-fence.
                            What if it's low fenced to your buddy's adjacent place that is all HF except for the same 1000' "gap?"

At some point the intent of the definition has got to come up and common sense and decency hopefully prevail.

Comment

Junco.

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                              As an aside Where is Juco? Google isn't finding it.
                              Junco, HWY 44 between freer and encinal.

Comment

Working...
                              X