No announcement yet.

2017 TBH cyclists thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are some good bike brands for leisurely riding, bike lanes here in College Station etc.... and what can I expect to pay for a decent one? What burns more calories, walking or riding a bike?

Comment

I just ordered a Framed 3.0 Fat Tire bike. I've enjoyed putting in a few 8 mile trips per week (on my walmart special mountain bike) so I decided to drop some coin on a fatty. It's not in yet and I can't wait to try it out. Ready to do some more serious off road trails and test it out on the sandy stuff we have around here.

Comment

OK question for you biker guys. I haven't biked much at all, but picked up an old Cannondale to try and get in shape. If I had to guess I could go on a 15-20 mile ride and be shot. I'm in pretty terrible shape. That bring said, I'm trying to set a goal. I'm thinking trying to do a 1 day, 100 mile ride by the end of the summer. Realistic?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

BT....very realistic. The important thing is to set yourself a goal and work toward it! Good luck!!

Comment

Looking to up grade a little , I've got a hybrid trail / road bike.
            . Any input would be welcome , saw some in the $600-900 range at Bike Barn .

Comment

Originally posted by BTGuard View Post
              OK question for you biker guys. I haven't biked much at all, but picked up an old Cannondale to try and get in shape. If I had to guess I could go on a 15-20 mile ride and be shot. I'm in pretty terrible shape. That bring said, I'm trying to set a goal. I'm thinking trying to do a 1 day, 100 mile ride by the end of the summer. Realistic?

It is much like training for your first marathon. My suggestion is to Google "Training for a century ride". You will find many training plans designed to get you through a 100 miler. It is definitely doable if you train properly. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by tadmaryperry View Post
                BT....very realistic. The important thing is to set yourself a goal and work toward it! Good luck!!
                Update... 5.3 miles in 25 ish minutes. Forgot to turn strava on for the first mile. I need to figure out a good pace yet...

Comment

I just started riding again this week for the first time since I did a 70.3 tri in Palm Beach May of 2013. Rode my mountain bike on the farm and it felt really good. While I haven't been involved in triathlon for a few years I've kept fit and have maintained swimming and running though cut distance back a bit. Debating to train back up again.

I love the bike though I don't like the road options around where I live. Maybe xterra kind of stuff is worth exploring. I have a Specialized rock hopper mb and a Pinerella tri bike. Time to put them back to use.

I suppose the good news for me in racing is there aren't many in my 62 yr age group. The bad news is the ones there are really good. Inspire me preacher man!

Comment

2017 TBH cyclists thread

Hotter than hell in Wichita Falls? You can definitely do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sparzo View Post
                      Hotter than hell in Wichita Falls? You can definitely do it.

Nope, that's a little ways from Central Iowa! Not sure what I would actually be riding. Might end up just being a route I ride around here. There are a couple nice trails around here.

Comment

Nope, that's a little ways from Central Iowa! Not sure what I would actually be riding. Might end up just being a route I ride around here. There are a couple nice trails around here.

Good stuff! Did it last year after taking time off but only did the metric century ~63 miles with minimal training. Bike really did most of the work. You may find yourself want to upgrade and be fitted to the bike. That helped me a lot.

Comment

Good stuff! Did it last year after taking time off but only did the metric century ~63 miles with minimal training. Bike really did most of the work. You may find yourself want to upgrade and be fitted to the bike. That helped me a lot.

That may be helpful. Currently I only have 2 gears. Best I can tell the rear derailleur isn't set right. Just haven't made it over to the shop yet. Here is the bike I have. https://chrisgrrr.wordpress.com/the-roadie/

Comment

Not my bike but the same one.

Comment

By this late in the Spring I am usually riding 3-4 times a week but I got a late start this year. I broke out the bike this morning for the first time since August. I rode neither far nor fast but it felt great to be back in the saddle. Now that it is getting light earlier I can get back into my routine of riding before work.

Comment

Again this year I have failed at making riding into a routine . Yesterday, I rode a bit and it felt really good other than my burning legs and lungs but what else should I expect when I don't ride much. Here is a pic from the ride. I am glad I ran out of road and had to turn back or I might still be out there passed out somewhere Bad pic but the park road ends in Lake Amistad.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Pedernal; 05-21-2017, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X