2017 TBH cyclists thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 TBH cyclists thread

Anybody putting in any miles these days? I have yet to turn a crank this year. I am not much on cold weather riding but will start hitting the roads on any warm weekend afternoons. Any special goals for this year? I plan to compete in a few sprint triathlons, and do my normal 5-6 charity rides. If we go back to Colorado this summer (that trip is still up in the air) I will take my bike and do that circuit between Breckenridge-Frisco-Vail Pass.
    What cycling adventures - road or trail - do you have planned for this year? Anyone have a new bike to show off?

(For those new to this thread, we have a TBH group on Strava you need to join.)
    Last edited by jerp; 01-24-2017, 11:38 AM.

I ride my ******off at the gym..spin/cycle

Comment

Ditto for me - no rides yet in 2017 but as Spring approaches will start to train for (hopefully) 2-3 sprint Tri's and 2-3 50 mile charity races. The Real Ale ride in Blanco is a must for me - lotsa hills/challenging but a beautiful course.

Comment

BTW how do I find the TBH group on Strava? Just sent u a request John.

Comment

I went out the other day for the first time in a couple months (other than riding my mountain bike at the lease). First major intersection I came to, I didn't get un-clipped fast enough and went down. Super humiliating! I turned around at mile 10 with my tail between my legs. Busted bloody knee.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXBowhunter View Post
            BTW how do I find the TBH group on Strava? Just sent u a request John.
            PM me your email and I will send you a club invite through Strava

Comment

At age 50 and 20 years of Ironmans and bike racing I took a year and a half off (burned out) and put on over 20lbs. The wife told me either I was back on bike or she was selling it. I took my single speed out yesterday which felt good and may stay on that the next 30 days before getting serious again. May sign up for some small races here and there.

Comment

let's connect ATX I'm here in Austin myself.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                  I went out the other day for the first time in a couple months (other than riding my mountain bike at the lease). First major intersection I came to, I didn't get un-clipped fast enough and went down. Super humiliating! I turned around at mile 10 with my tail between my legs. Busted bloody knee.
                  Been there myself - sometimes those "slow-motion fall over" crashes are the worst. (I think pain is compounded by embarrassment)!

Comment

Been getting some short rides in lately, has been about 2 years since I sold my race bike and finally got something to replace it. My buddy talked me in to a sprint tri in March so been making myself run more than anything but with good weather on the horizon I'm excited to get the bike back out

Comment

I bought a Novara Strada at REI earlier this month. Got a killer deal on last year's model. It has carbon forks, disc brakes and paddle shifters. I'm in training for a sprint tri in May, a lifelong bucket list item. I'm doing intense spin class for 60 minutes on Tue and Thursday targeting a resistance/speed combo that keeps my heart above 120 bpm followed by a 5K. So far I've ridden outside twice, once 9 miles from Enchanted Rock to our ranch entrance at FM965/Hwy 16, that was brutal and a 19 miler here on the flat ground in and around Pearland. The plan is to ride on Saturdays but the weather hasn't cooperated. I'm thinking about biking 15 miles over to a open water swim lake, then swimming and biking back. That would be an exercise filled day.

Comment

I need to get back on my bike, haven't rode since end of October! Mostly been running to keep the holiday weight off. I am hoping to do a couple of long rides/races this year and a couple of sprint/intermediate tri's.

Comment

What spring tri are you doing in May? Is it the Beginner' Tri in Austin at Decker Lake? It's a 'super-sprint' Tri but I usually use it to kick off my season.

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                          I bought a Novara Strada at REI earlier this month. Got a killer deal on last year's model. It has carbon forks, disc brakes and paddle shifters. I'm in training for a sprint tri in May, a lifelong bucket list item. I'm doing intense spin class for 60 minutes on Tue and Thursday targeting a resistance/speed combo that keeps my heart above 120 bpm followed by a 5K. So far I've ridden outside twice, once 9 miles from Enchanted Rock to our ranch entrance at FM965/Hwy 16, that was brutal and a 19 miler here on the flat ground in and around Pearland. The plan is to ride on Saturdays but the weather hasn't cooperated. I'm thinking about biking 15 miles over to a open water swim lake, then swimming and biking back. That would be an exercise filled day.

Comment

Interesting that this would be up today. I literally just got back from a 30 miler, the first ride in two months and first roadie in longer than that. I am eyeing a new ride this year(felt z5) and I need to start turning miles to remind myself how to do it.

After my break I have learned that it is easier to lose cardio capacity than gain it back, and those hills didn't seem to be as steep last year! My ride plan for the year was to include the Houston and Dallas MS150 and of course HHH. Might sprinkle a couple more in there just to keep myself honest. And I a, targeting the Rough Rider 200 for next year. Two days of 100+ miles with thousands of feet of elevation riding in the mountains of New Mexico! That will be pretty cool.

Ride safe everyone and remember rule 5!!

Comment

Well well well. it is past time for me to get on my bike.....I have some nasty races on the schedule this year. I didn't get into Leadville and I am kinda glad lol. Doing the Maah Daah Hey 100, Tatanka 100, and the Dakota Five oh on the mountain bike, and a handful of gravel races up here in MT, WY, and ND/SD on the gravel bike.
                              I highly recommend the Dakota Five Oh in Spearfish, SD.....it is the most fun you can have in fifty miles while gaining a smooth 11k in elevation over that distance.
                              Too bad I haven't touched my bike since the Dakota Five oh last year except for one hunt I rode one day until it rained and the mud was ridiculous. The weather isn't as favorable up here for winter rides, so I will have to resort to mornings on the spin bike until all this white stuff melts off for good. Plus, all I care about until May is sliding down snowy hills on slick things really fast....
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X