No announcement yet.

The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is if they don’t have it over priced!

Comment

Double post
      Last edited by Dc78; 12-12-2020, 07:55 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
          Is Blantons really THAT good? Just curious. I know there is a lot of Hype behind the Buffalo Trace lineup. Don’t get me wrong, I like most everything they put out but I can’t find Blantons anywhere for over a year close to me in Sherman or there about. Is it worth finding? Thanks In advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          I can get you a bottle of Blantons. Yes, it’s good. Depends on your taste in bourbon though. I prefer Colonel Taylor. I’ve tried them side by side and thought C.T was better, but I prefer a smoother finish. I thought Blantons had a bite at the end that many prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
            I can get you a bottle of Blantons. Yes, it’s good. Depends on your taste in bourbon though. I prefer Colonel Taylor. I’ve tried them side by side and thought C.T was better, but I prefer a smoother finish. I thought Blantons had a bite at the end that many prefer.

I’m a Woodford/Weller kinda guy. Woodford is my go to. Don’t know how it compares to that. I do like some Buffalo Trace too. Shoot me a pm about the Blantons and then scare me with the Pappy.[emoji6]

Comment

Is Blantons really THAT good? Just curious. I know there is a lot of Hype behind the Buffalo Trace lineup. Don’t get me wrong, I like most everything they put out but I can’t find Blantons anywhere for over a year close to me in Sherman or there about. Is it worth finding? Thanks In advance.

Blanton's is good but not for >$50/bottle. It comes down to the type of bourbon you like. What do you normally drink/love?

Getting close to Blanton's without the hassle or secondary prices: Ancient Age is pretty readily available (and cheap!) and will come close. EH Taylor if you like less Rye in the mix. I like the Old Forrester line, 1920 Prohibition is their best.

Have a look at the HH mash bills to find bourbons in similar veins:

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                This bourbon year is definitely starting better than last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**** I would love to get my hands on one of those bottles!!!!
                Congrats!!!

Comment

To be honest, it's not THAT good.

It is good, I like it just fine. I prefer the Eagle Rare over it hands down, but I also enjoy the hunt for good/hard to find bourbons, so hunting and finding Blantons after 2 years was the fun for me.

I had found it a few times before at some stupid prices, some guy in Katy has it on the shelf for $275/bottle, also had Eagle Rare for $90/bottle -- I'm not interested in those prices for these bourbons.

I waited until I found Blantons at MSRP ($58.99 at Specs) before I bought one.

All in all, it is good, not worth more than MSRP, and for my tastes, Eagle Rare is better at $28.99/bottle
                  Last edited by JTRichardson; 12-14-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPun View Post
                    Blanton's is good but not for >$50/bottle. It comes down to the type of bourbon you like. What do you normally drink/love?

Getting close to Blanton's without the hassle or secondary prices: Ancient Age is pretty readily available (and cheap!) and will come close. EH Taylor if you like less Rye in the mix. I like the Old Forrester line, 1920 Prohibition is their best.

Have a look at the HH mash bills to find bourbons in similar veins:
                    http://bourbonr.com/blog/updated-buf...ry-mash-bills/
                    I agree. I liked EH Taylor and Old Forrester. My son wasn't crazy about the Taylor. But that's ok too.

Another one I like is the New Southern Revival. They have one with red corn that I haven't tried yet. But bet it is unique. Also over $100/btl

Comment

Horse Soldier

I got a bottle for my birthday. Pretty good stuff at around $45.00. Awesome
                      Back story. The Green Berets that were the first guys into Northern Afghanistan after 9/11 are some how involved with it. They had to go in on horseback. Hence the name of the bourbon Horse Soldier.

Comment

I’m a huge Saint Arnold beer fan. I missed the French Press release last year, but was able to find some this year. I also snagged some that’s been aged in a bourbon barrel. The can version is delicious. The bottle is in the fridge and I’ll be drinking it this weekend.

Comment

If anyone knows where I can my hands on a bottle of smoke wagon unfiltered I’d be happy to buy it off of them, and make it worth it. I think I’ve gone in every liquor store north of I-10 looking for it and can’t find it

Comment

Would someone mind posting a cheat sheet of “must buys if you see them at retail price”?

I go to the liquor store a bunch but never know if I’m looking at something that is hard to come by or not besides the typical eagle rare and weller 12, antique etc. it would help if there was a cheat sheet so I’d know to pick it up if I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                              Would someone mind posting a cheat sheet of “must buys if you see them at retail price”?

I go to the liquor store a bunch but never know if I’m looking at something that is hard to come by or not besides the typical eagle rare and weller 12, antique etc. it would help if there was a cheat sheet so I’d know to pick it up if I see it.
                              I haven't read the rest of this thread so I'm sure some of these have already been mentioned but here's some off the top of my head:

Anything from the Buffalo Trace Antique collection (odds are almost zero but just in case you are one of the worlds luckiest and find a unicorn) - George T Stagg, Sazerac, William Larue Weller, Thomas H Handy, Eagle Rare 17

Any EH Taylor other than the small batch (which I will still grab if I see)

Blantons (obviously)

Eagle Rare

Elmer T Lee

Rock Hill Farms

All Wellers other than special reserve (another one I will still grab when I see depending on how much I currently have)

Henry McKenna

Four Roses single barrel

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Bookers

Old Forester birthday, Old Forester 1920

Stagg Jr

Russell's Reserve Store Pick

I will try and think of more later. Since I am about out of eagle rare my favorite cheap drinkers currently are Weller Special Reserve & Evan Williams Single Barrel.

Comment

Retail prices on those would be helpful as well!

Comment

Working...
                                X