No announcement yet.

The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Son just gave us a bottle of Garrison Brothers Single Barrel, bottle #1 of the barrel from Total Wine. Betting it will be just fine with a cube or 2.

Comment

Wife scored this for me. She also found a bottle of Family Reserve, but the guy wanted $1600, so she hard passed l.
      Attached Files

Comment

Just got the EHT today. The bulleit is my favorite out of this group. The yellow rose comes in 2nd. Waiting to open the EHT until New Year’s Eve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A new liquor store opened up near the house a couple weeks ago. I finally made it in and found a couple bottles to take home.

Comment

I received this as a gift today. I've never tried this one, but I'm always up for something new.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bfuqua99 View Post
              I received this as a gift today. I've never tried this one, but I'm always up for something new.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
              I was pretty surprised at how good it was.

Comment

Without reading the entire thread what are some good sipping bourbon/whiskey’s for a newbie.

I’ve always just drank Jack and Coke if I wanted whiskey and never really appreciated them until recently.

Comment

The brown water kind

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                    Without reading the entire thread what are some good sipping bourbon/whiskey’s for a newbie.

I’ve always just drank Jack and Coke if I wanted whiskey and never really appreciated them until recently.

I had whistle pig last night and really enjoyed it. Woodford, yellow rose are also good. I used to be the guy that always needed a mixer but, I’ve made the switch to just some ice and whiskey to sip on and I really enjoy it.

Comment

I think some of the higher end Irish's like Greenspot, Redbreast, etc. are a good jumping in point for "easy drinking" whiskeys. Powers 3 swallows is a great one at a good price-point. It's one of the first bottles to go empty around here Some of the blended stuff is also a good starting point as well. Haven't seen too many folks not like TX whiskey as an intro. Texas Ranger by Rebecca Creek is also an easy drinker to start with. As your palette develops, you'll probably start gravitating towards higher proofs and bolder flavor profiles. It's a journey, and your tastes will change as you progress.

Comment

We recently discovered the Chestnut Farms BIB on the left. It's quickly becoming a favorite around here. It will stand up to most of the stuff that is much harder to find in the $100ish price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                          We recently discovered the Chestnut Farms BIB on the left. It's quickly becoming a favorite around here. It will stand up to most of the stuff that is much harder to find in the $100ish price range.

I almost bought a bottle of that the other day and held off. I may have to go back

Comment

Some of these are a little harder to get a hold of than others depending on your location... but a short list I'd recommend would be Buffalo Trace, Weller Special Reserve, Eagle Rare, Evan Williams Single Barrel, 4 Roses Single Barrel. Start with 100 proof or lower. Maybe add a little ice or a splash of water to start off and work your way out of it. It's all gonna boil down to personal taste, no matter what anyone says. The few I listed are pretty easy drinkers though.

*Actually, considering you like Jack in your coke, Jack Daniels Single Barrel or Gentlemans Jack may be a familiar start for you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by feralswine; 12-30-2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by feralswine View Post
                              Some of these are a little harder to get a hold of than others depending on your location... but a short list I'd recommend would be Buffalo Trace, Weller Special Reserve, Eagle Rare, Evan Williams Single Barrel, 4 Roses Single Barrel. Start with 100 proof or lower. Maybe add a little ice or a splash of water to start off and work your way out of it. It's all gonna boil down to personal taste, no matter what anyone says. The few I listed are pretty easy drinkers though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks! I went and bought a few the other day to start off with but will be stopping in Houston Tomrrow to grab a bottle or two probably of the Texas brands.

Any good stuff made in Texas?

Comment

The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                                I think some of the higher end Irish's like Greenspot, Redbreast, etc. are a good jumping in point for "easy drinking" whiskeys. Powers 3 swallows is a great one at a good price-point. It's one of the first bottles to go empty around here Some of the blended stuff is also a good starting point as well. Haven't seen too many folks not like TX whiskey as an intro. Texas Ranger by Rebecca Creek is also an easy drinker to start with. As your palette develops, you'll probably start gravitating towards higher proofs and bolder flavor profiles. It's a journey, and your tastes will change as you progress.

I forgot about Rebbeca Creek and have drank my fair share of it but always mixed just like my Jack or Crown. I’ve had the TX whiskey also and liked it but it was mixed.

Last edited by Black Ice; 12-30-2020, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X