The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old killer View Post
    Pay attention to the times on the cameras.
    Yeah I saw those. Not the typical time of day I think of when they should be coming in to water.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
      Gotcha! Good info on the 95%+ private lands info..........as this appears to be a private lands archery hunt. Website says they have access to 1 million acres in the unit.
      The downside is the date right now. It is the final week of archery only season, but there is a Archery/Muzzleloader season the week before.
      I hunted 851 years ago. Awesome unit. I hunted the muzzleloader season. Always wished it would last another week because the Bulls were more vocal at the end of the muzzleloader season. We hunted private land around Stonewall. The land owner passed, land was split and sold.

Comment

Originally posted by ACook View Post
        Yeah I saw those. Not the typical time of day I think of when they should be coming in to water.

Go here if you can. I have hundreds of pictures and hundreds of minutes of video, almost none before 9am. We hunt till 9am and then go to wallows.

Comment

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nveO2T2eWmM/h...GD10o9rZaLMXQE

Go here if you can. I have hundreds of pictures and hundreds of minutes of video, almost none before 9am. We hunt till 9am and then go to wallows.
          Old Killer,

Good to know! I'm headed back out in a couple weeks to pull cards again and hang a couple more cameras on some different wallows.

Comment

Old Killer,

Good to know! I'm headed back out in a couple weeks to pull cards again and hang a couple more cameras on some different wallows.

Comment

I put out cameras in May in 5 different areas, we will see on August 27th. Been hot and dry. Be here before we know it. Got all clothes and pack packed, just shooting bow now. Got to get bear tag and I'll be set.

Comment

Hey New Mex. hunters....does anyone know for certain whether or not lighted nocks and/or sight lights are legal/illegal in NM? Found conflicting info and the statute posted elsewhere seems vague. I have watched a few videos from outfitters that show lighted nocks being used. Just want to plan out my setup before September.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  Hey New Mex. hunters....does anyone know for certain whether or not lighted nocks and/or sight lights are legal/illegal in NM? Found conflicting info and the statute posted elsewhere seems vague. I have watched a few videos from outfitters that show lighted nocks being used. Just want to plan out my setup before September.

Not really much help but I recently was searching for the same thing and the feedback I got was that it was fine to use lighted nocks. Just something I read online. Pretty sure it's ok but interested in your findings too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I emailed my Outfitter yesterday but haven't heard back yet. I'll let you know what I find out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Nothing in the proclimation so I would assume it's legal. I've been using them for three years in New Mexico and have never received any backlash.

Comment

The regs only say no projected light such as a lazer and no magnification on the sight. No regs about lighted nocks.

Comment

Old Killer,

I have made a number of wallows. I find trails with a water source used only once and a while and dig it out to two or three feet in diameter and dam it till it holds 3 to 4 inches of water. The more water the more often they will use it and the longer they will stay.
                          You often see the elk stomping in the water, they are mixing the minerals from the bottom with the water before they drink.
                          I have had bulls lay in the water up to 45 minutes cooling off.
                          As I have aged I have had to do things differently in order to be able to stay in the elk woods.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The regs only say no projected light such as a lazer and no magnification on the sight. No regs about lighted nocks.
                            Thanks. That projected light was cinfusing. Seems light a sight light projects light.

"Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!"

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                              Gotcha! Good info on the 95%+ private lands info..........as this appears to be a private lands archery hunt. Website says they have access to 1 million acres in the unit.
                              The downside is the date right now. It is the final week of archery only season, but there is a Archery/Muzzleloader season the week before.
                              Landrover, I have hunted 851 many times and I always hunted the last week of the archery season. Always had a crazy amount of bugling and rut activity.
                              You should have a great hunt. I have hunted Elk for 30 plus years and I have never had more Elk encounters and rut activity than in 851.
                              Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                                Landrover, I have hunted 851 many times and I always hunted the last week of the archery season. Always had a crazy amount of bugling and rut activity.
                                You should have a great hunt. I have hunted Elk for 30 plus years and I have never had more Elk encounters and rut activity than in 851.
                                Best of luck to you.
                                Yes sir! Looks like everything is looking good per the outfitter as we finally had a chance to talk. I am quite excited that I may get this 0-3 record off my back for elk. The outfitter is even going to let me hunt a waterhole the evening before if I can meet at Exit 11 by noon the day before...........works for me!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X