The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
    5 day trip with (6days worth of meals) my total pack is weight is 34lbs(w/o water)

I could probably cut 5-7 pounds if I changed out some of my creature comfort items(lighter sleeping pad, smaller battery pack, 30degree bag instead of 15 degree, lighter water filter, etc.) I could get to 20 lbs but that means 16lbs of gear. Very doable but not very comfortable(for me atleast)

I switched from an EXO 3500 to 2000 this year.
    You can fit 5 days into the 2000????

Comment

I'm going to be fully fat adapted and just run off of my body fat and hoka one one cushioning! ha ha ha ha My buddy just got the hiking boot version for his AZ elk hunt, they look pretty dam comfy.

In all seriousness, I have a hard **** time eating up there. I have to force myself to eat, like it want to puke just thinking about eating at night after chasing elk all day.

Also, if I crash and burn going ultra light this year I'm going to buy a travel trailer, eat garbage all year and buy NM landowner tags every three years and sit on water. Watch my college football at night, eat steaks and play pokemon through the forest.

Originally posted by G Posik View Post
      20#, how much food are you taking 3 days? Or are planning on eating pine needles? Cloths I do not take much besides what I wear.

The Phelps big tube is awesome, that is the one I use. I use his diaphragms and they are great. I use the single reeds as they tend to not stick.

I would suggest binos. Even with trad bows they save you some walking and spooking elk. When you can sit up high and glass it pays off.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
        I'm going to be fully fat adapted and just run off of my body fat and hoka one one cushioning! ha ha ha ha My buddy just got the hiking boot version for his AZ elk hunt, they look pretty dam comfy.

In all seriousness, I have a hard **** time eating up there. I have to force myself to eat, like it want to puke just thinking about eating at night after chasing elk all day.

Also, if I crash and burn going ultra light this year I'm going to buy a travel trailer, eat garbage all year and buy NM landowner tags every three years and sit on water. Watch my college football at night, eat steaks and play pokemon through the forest.

Lmao! You drinking? If not, check your house for a CO leak. You're on a roll tonight.

Comment

So glad I don't pack my trip on my back. I'll be thinking of y'all in my wall tent, eating steaks and sipping whiskey at 11,000'. We went light on our horses last year and it sucked. Learned to bring more horses and haul more goodies. I'll give y'all props on packing an elk out on your back.

Comment

Wow!! Under 30lbs for 5-6 days is amazing. Sure wish I knew this 4 years ago. I humped a 60# pack that trip. Since then Ive been dealing with knee problems.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post
              Wow!! Under 30lbs for 5-6 days is amazing. Sure wish I knew this 4 years ago. I humped a 60# pack that trip. Since then Ive been dealing with knee problems.

Ray

My goal is to keep mine under 40 for the trip. But that will be with camera gear and everything.

Comment

You can fit 5 days into the 2000????
                Yelp. I'm only saving 6 ounces over the 3500 bag but it forces me to only pack the necessary. The 2k EXO bag is closer to 3k with roll top and front stretch pocket.

I've got to have a good pillow though.
                Last edited by Texans42; 07-18-2016, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post

Ray

It's expensive I won't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
                    Lmao! You drinking? If not, check your house for a CO leak. You're on a roll tonight.
                    Danggit, you caught me! My little brother and his wife just moved back and I had a few Coors and should have stayed off my own dang thread. ha ha ha I don't ever drink anymore, good thing too.

Comment

Danggit, you caught me! My little brother and his wife just moved back and I had a few Coors and should have stayed off my own dang thread. ha ha ha I don't ever drink anymore, good thing too.

It's all good brother. You had me rolling.

Comment

Anyone ever hunt unit 83? My first year elk hunting. LOT of good advice here

Comment

Had a guy tell me this weekend that 851 was a great unit. Also said that the Bosque Del Oso has some outstanding elk hunting.

I'll be in Unit 43 3rd season this year. Anyone ever hunted that unit?
                          Last edited by Grizz83; 07-18-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Be up high in 5 weeks building camp.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              My goal is to keep mine under 40 for the trip. But that will be with camera gear and everything.
                              My hat is off to you guys with all the camera gear! I sure like seeing great pictures and video though. How you feeling about your hunt? I know that any elk within 80 yards is toast, what about the training? (Maybe 100 yards! ha ha)

Comment

Those bugle tubes/little kid baseball bats are HUGE, if I run out of arrows I'm gonna beat one to death with my bugle.

Good luck on your hunts amigo! I LOVED Idaho last year and I will most definitely be back, just not this year.

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post

Needed some new calls so I stocked up. The tubes are sold out online and I was able to pick one up at my work.

Comment

Working...
                                X