The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phelps Game Calls

Got my Phelps game calls in on Thursday. Got his external reed, since I kept jamming up my double reed primos last year during the moment of truth. I also got two of his elk commander single reeds and big arse bugle tube. I spoke with him on the phone and he suggested I get the "kid sized reed" and what do you know! The small frame works like a charm, was able to bugle like a champ after years of having to use the blue reed Primos because my mouth was too narrow for the calls. I'll take it!

Will have in my Jimmy Tarps Skyline tomorrow and will have my gear for making a couple synthetic quilts this week also. I am going ultra light, aka ultra stupid, this year. With my recurve, gear and food I should be below 20lbs all in. Yep, no spotter, no binos, just ability to climb and crash wherever I am when it gets dark. Shawn and I should have a good time.

This will be my first full on weigh everything backpack hunt, I started 10 years ago with about 55# and enough clothes to keep an orphanage warm in winter. But I have realized that I don't use half of it and I usually hunt dark timber when I'm in Colorado. We'll see how it goes. Will be taking a long scouting weekend in a couple weeks as a trial run.

Comment

I'm interested to see your review of that skyline tarp bud! Good luck. I kinda want to go on a hunt for elk with a recurve now since I got drawn for a recurve hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by rhendrix View Post
        I'm interested to see your review of that skyline tarp bud! Good luck. I kinda want to go on a hunt for elk with a recurve now since I got drawn for a recurve hunt!
        Got it in, it is the size of a grapefruit in it's stuff sack and weighs dang near nothing. I will have to get some treking poles and seam seal it. Going to be fun!

Comment

You mind posting up some pics later?

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
            Got my Phelps game calls in on Thursday. Got his external reed, since I kept jamming up my double reed primos last year during the moment of truth. I also got two of his elk commander single reeds and big arse bugle tube. I spoke with him on the phone and he suggested I get the "kid sized reed" and what do you know! The small frame works like a charm, was able to bugle like a champ after years of having to use the blue reed Primos because my mouth was too narrow for the calls. I'll take it!

Will have in my Jimmy Tarps Skyline tomorrow and will have my gear for making a couple synthetic quilts this week also. I am going ultra light, aka ultra stupid, this year. With my recurve, gear and food I should be below 20lbs all in. Yep, no spotter, no binos, just ability to climb and crash wherever I am when it gets dark. Shawn and I should have a good time.

This will be my first full on weigh everything backpack hunt, I started 10 years ago with about 55# and enough clothes to keep an orphanage warm in winter. But I have realized that I don't use half of it and I usually hunt dark timber when I'm in Colorado. We'll see how it goes. Will be taking a long scouting weekend in a couple weeks as a trial run.

20#, how much food are you taking 3 days? Or are planning on eating pine needles? Cloths I do not take much besides what I wear.

The Phelps big tube is awesome, that is the one I use. I use his diaphragms and they are great. I use the single reeds as they tend to not stick.

I would suggest binos. Even with trad bows they save you some walking and spooking elk. When you can sit up high and glass it pays off.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Elk Thread

If you go in 5 days at a time, 7.5 pounds of food, 6 ounces for a bivy, 13 for the tarp, 2 pounds or less for a sleeping bag, lightweight rain shell and decent puffy should only run you a couple pounds, water filter could be 6 ounces or less, extra pair of socks isn't much, neither is a base layer, bare bones emergency kit and no gps or something like a Dakota 20 could get you to close to 20 pounds excluding water and weapon.

I second bringing binos by the way, glass can save you a lot of miles of unnecessary walking.

Comment

I packed up everything except for food and water and camera yesterday and I'm at 26# def a few things I can cull out tho.

Comment

The Elk Thread

Are these weights contents only or is that including the pack? What packs are you guys using?

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post
                    Are these weights contents only or is that including the pack? What packs are you guys using?

Ray

Contents only for what I listed above. My base weight without food and water including my pack is 21-24 pounds depending on the sleeping bag and bivy combo I use.

I can't speak for everyone...but kifaru puts out a hell of a pack. It took me several years to figure out that it's better to buy once and cry once instead trying something new at a lower price point every year.

Comment

Needed some new calls so I stocked up. The tubes are sold out online and I was able to pick one up at my work.

Comment

Ray

Mine is with pack!

Comment

Your ideas on binos are duly noted....and ignored! Don't need them where I am hunting. It is dog hair timber, we all make choices in gear, this year is going to be run and gun fun!

I am bringing no rain gear, no extra clothes of any kind besides a pair of socks. I don't use a filter, and bring 10 iodine tabs total. Where I hunt there is water everywhere!

No pillow, no rain gear, lightweight quilt, and little air pad. Will it suck? Probably, but I'm going to kill an elk with my recurve this year or kill myself doing it!

Believe me, I've spent 13 hours a day behind binos and spotting scopes. It can be very rewarding and effective, just not this trip. We'll see how it goes. I will be up there Labor Day weekend and the last 10 days of season. Either way, it will be a blast!

Comment

Ray

5 day trip with (6days worth of meals) my total pack is weight is 34lbs(w/o water)

I could probably cut 5-7 pounds if I changed out some of my creature comfort items(lighter sleeping pad, smaller battery pack, 30degree bag instead of 15 degree, lighter water filter, etc.) I could get to 20 lbs but that means 16lbs of gear. Very doable but not very comfortable(for me atleast)

I switched from an EXO 3500 to 2000 this year.
                            Last edited by Texans42; 07-17-2016, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                              Your ideas on binos are duly noted....and ignored! Don't need them where I am hunting. It is dog hair timber, we all make choices in gear, this year is going to be run and gun fun!

I am bringing no rain gear, no extra clothes of any kind besides a pair of socks. I don't use a filter, and bring 10 iodine tabs total. Where I hunt there is water everywhere!

No pillow, no rain gear, lightweight quilt, and little air pad. Will it suck? Probably, but I'm going to kill an elk with my recurve this year or kill myself doing it!

Believe me, I've spent 13 hours a day behind binos and spotting scopes. It can be very rewarding and effective, just not this trip. We'll see how it goes. I will be up there Labor Day weekend and the last 10 days of season. Either way, it will be a blast!
                              Dude not the pillow!!! That's going to far. It's like 4 ounces for sea to summit large pillow.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                                Dude not the pillow!!! That's going to far. It's like 4 ounces for sea to summit large pillow.
                                Ha ha ha ha I use my first lite puffy in it's stuff sack, or maybe a rock. Kidding kidding.

Believe me, I've done the 50+ lb pack with more gear than REI and trying to find elk and then hike back to camp in the pitch arse dark and trying to fight the **** GPS signal, etc. I've just got way better gear now.

Comment

Working...
                                X