The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
    Just got 3 trail cams set up in a area I am hoping to be hunting. Found lots of promising sign and water. Will post pictures if I have anything decent when I head back over to check them in about 3 weeks. Salt blocks are out and alfalfa. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yall can bait? And they already grown enough to really tell anything yet? Been debating on whether or not to hang a few yet but thought it was a little early but if it would be worth hanging this early I will get down and hang em up.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
      Yall can bait? And they already grown enough to really tell anything yet? Been debating on whether or not to hang a few yet but thought it was a little early but if it would be worth hanging this early I will get down and hang em up.

Yes we can bait. I have a couple Roosevelt bulls that are 4 points at least from the trail cam photos. The big Bulls will be up pretty far in their growth with awhile still to go. It would be worth it I think to get some cams out if your wanting to. I am hoping for decent Rocky Mountain sign and mule deer in my other spot.

Comment

I need to get in on these out of state Elk hunts. Sub'd and will be following along.

Comment

Here is a picture of a small Roosevelt bull I just got on cam not long ago.

Comment

Hey guys,
            Moving to Hickory Creek, Texas soon from Ga. Anyone know of any places near there that might have a little elevation to hike? I've been hunting Colorado for 11 years and try to maintain fitness year round. I like being outside and not in a gym.

Comment

Looks like I'll be in Unit 54 for first rifle.

Anybody hunted there and have a good place to trailhead from?

Comment

Anybody familiar with Walt Isenhour of Lone Star Outfitters? He is out of McDade, Texas. Archery Hunts in Unit 851 in Colorado and additional Private Ranch Lands opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                  Anybody familiar with Walt Isenhour of Lone Star Outfitters? He is out of McDade, Texas. Archery Hunts in Unit 851 in Colorado and additional Private Ranch Lands opportunity.
                  Not familiar with him in particular but familiar with unit 851 and not sure how he is going to be letting you hunt on public in 851 successfully considering 95+% or more is private excluding the bosque del osso which is a draw only hunt for that chunk of land. Only way I would be looking at that unit would be if he was 100% taking you on private ground.

Comment

The Elk Thread

I didn't draw Montana again this year. Area I hunt is special archery bull elk draw and it's about once every 3 years to draw. I thought about Colorado but I'm clueless about hunting there. All my western hunting has been Wyoming and Montana. Also I have all the gear DIY hunting out west if anyone is hunting an area I can get a tag still and is looking for an extra hunter to tag along.
                    Last edited by LuBowhunter; 06-27-2016, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Not familiar with him in particular but familiar with unit 851 and not sure how he is going to be letting you hunt on public in 851 successfully considering 95+% or more is private excluding the bosque del osso which is a draw only hunt for that chunk of land. Only way I would be looking at that unit would be if he was 100% taking you on private ground.
                      Gotcha! Good info on the 95%+ private lands info..........as this appears to be a private lands archery hunt. Website says they have access to 1 million acres in the unit.
                      The downside is the date right now. It is the final week of archery only season, but there is a Archery/Muzzleloader season the week before.

Comment

Don't know the outfitter but do know the unit.
                        It's a big bull unit as with its northern and western unit. As far as public it's limited but you get 3-5 miles off the road and it's a new world. Some of the best public is blocked by private. I would image he has the ability to trespass or has the animals to go around.

Comment

Hey guys I recorded a podcast tonight with Jake Saenz. Jake owns Atomic Athlete strength and conditioning gym in Austin. Jake has an awesome endurance workout program called The Ultimate Predator that is geared completely to getting in mountain shape for elk season. It was a great podcast and I thought you guys might like it.

Comment

JT, the video isn't working properly. At least for me its not. Its got sound but no picture.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Poco View Post
                              JT, the video isn't working properly. At least for me its not. Its got sound but no picture.

Ray

That's all it is, it's like a radio show

Comment

Interesting. Thanks bud.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                X