No announcement yet.

favorite broadhead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ace Super Express 200gr w/43gr screw in insert.

Comment

Originally posted by lesson 101 View Post
      [ATTACH]557083 I can't remember the names of them for the life of me but these are great heads also they are 135gr

Magnus stingers

Comment

Those Magnus Stingers will have a lot better penetration for you out of a trad bow than the Slick Tricks. STs are hard to beat from a compound bow but you're only shooting about half the speed of your compound out of a trad bow.

Comment

I shoot razor sharp Pearson Deadheads. Never had a problem

Comment

I was very happy with the flight and penetration I got out of the single bevel two blade 125 grain rfa razor hawk, not happy so much with the lack luster blood trails they left on two different occasions.

I have since gone back to slick trick magnums and get the same results everybody else does.

I mean look at that hole!
            Attached Files

Comment

IMHO if your shooting a trad bow you obviously don't have the velocity that a wheely bow delivers. The short ferrule broadheads such as the slicktricks where designed to minimize two things: weight and lenght to avoid wobble from a poorly mounted insert (most pro shops just mount insert with ca glue which dries too fast for anyone to do any tuning!). The weight is minimized to increase arrow speed and create a flatter trajectory. These are good things when you have the speed to make up for the loss in mass. Since trad bows shoot slower what broadhead/ arrow combo should we optimally use? As others have said above a heavier arrow with above 10% foc (more weight forward) and a 3-1 (3 long by one wide) cut on contact broadhead is the perfect design. There are volumes of great matierial on this topic. as a future engineer I find the mathematics behind this age old question very satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                Zwickey Black Diamond Deltas, 4 blade
                With the different broad heads I jack with. I have a soft spot for Mr. Jack Zwickey. They are still my all time fave. The sun never sets on a Zwickey Broadhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  While the Ramcats might be fine for compounds, I doubt they would be the broadhead of choice for a trad bow.

It is a good thing there are so many different broadheads made these days! As you can see from all the posts everybody likes differnt stuff. As long as they are razor sharp, put in the right place on the animal, and your bow/arrow setup is tuned well, most any of them will work well. It is really a personal preference and confidence thing at that point.

Bisch
                  It's crossed my mind. But I have to agree with you. Too much abrupt angle for me to be comfortable coming off a trad bow.

Comment

Originally posted by lesson 101 View Post
                    Does slick trick not shoot out of a recurve? Before I waist money I would rather ask than spend a ton of money and find out the hard way.
                    They will shoot yes. But the penetration will suffer do to the abrupt angles. They are designed for higher energy compounds. You need a head that has a more layed back angle. Just think about the physics of it pushing thru.

Ugh!, freakin Tapatalk is killin me. That was all a multi quote!

Comment

VPA's, you can get them in just about any grain weight you want. Very durable, and get the job done when you do your part.

Comment

X2

Originally posted by tomcat8910 View Post
                        VPA 3 blade 175 gr.
                        x2

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                          Magnus Stinger 4- blade.
                          I have had good luck with the four blade. And. The life time replacement is sweet! I have returned 6 and they sent me brand new ones! I think as long as it is sharp and you put it in the right spot it will do the job.

Comment

Magnus Mag I, Ribtek, ACE all 160 grains.

Comment

Originally posted by Wudstix View Post
                              Magnus Mag I, Ribtek, ACE all 160 grains.
                              Its hard to argue against those. :thumbup:

Comment

Tuffhead Meathead BH. 3 to 1 width to length, advantage on penetration, single bevel. Tough! Great BH. http://www.tuffhead.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X