Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Trad Hog Hunt with TBH'ers April 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have a crawfish boiler, but can bring something else.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
      I don't have a crawfish boiler, but can bring something else.
      I'll keep you in mind, unless someone has done one before and has the pot and basket I think it would be a safe decision to change the menu for supper Sat.?

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
        I'll keep you in mind, unless someone has done one before and has the pot and basket I think it would be a safe decision to change the menu for supper Sat.?
        Agree with this, just let me know if I need to bring anything else.

Since I'll be traveling, if anything comes up, contact Matt. I'll stay in communication with him.

Comment

Great! Will you have enough or do you need some of us to bring a little more?
          I'll have enough. 10 guys right?

Comment

Originally posted by Featherflinger View Post
            I'll have enough. 10 guys right?
            Yes I think right now we have 10 hunters. I was also thinking we would invite Donnie and the skinner to eat meals with us if they wanted, so that would bump it back up to 12.

Comment

[quote=bassmatt72;8413872]
              Everyone will be responsible for their own drinks and mid day snacks through out the weekend. Sharing is acceptable!
              Lunch Friday: everyone on their own
              Supper Friday: Bassmatt72- Pinto beans with sausage and rice, and chocolate dessert
              Chackworth3 - approximately 30 bowls and spoons, paper towels

Breakfast Saturday: Phillip- scrambled eggs, onion, peppers, potatoes, cheddar cheese
              Featherflinger - tortillas
              Chackworth3- plates, forks, napkins/paper towels

Lunch Saturday: Featherflinger- burgers
              Doc- Ketchup, mustard, mayo and chips
              Chuncky-chips and buns
              Chackworth3- plates, paper towels

Supper Saturday:???????- main course????
              Bassmatt72- corn on the cob and spray butter
              Need- other vegetables to grill
              Featherflinger- zucchini
              Chackworth3- plates, forks?, paper towels

Breakfast Sunday: Hunter Todd- burritos

Lunch Sunday: Late breakfast after morning hunt, each person on there own for food after morning breakfast.
              Need something for Saturday supper, I can pick up crawfish if someone has the cooker and has done a boil before?

Comment

How about we have some wild hog for supper on Saturday? Anyone know where we could get some to eat that night?????

Comment

I have a smoker and wood if some one is good at cooking on a smoker. We can take a gun and kill 2 or 3 small ones to cook. I have some 25-30 pounders that are running around that didn't cost me anything.

Comment

Originally posted by dhays View Post
                    I have a smoker and wood if some one is good at cooking on a smoker. We can take a gun and kill 2 or 3 small ones to cook. I have some 25-30 pounders that are running around that didn't cost me anything.
                    Winner!! I'm not very good on a wood smoker, but surely someone in the group is.

Comment

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have smoked about a dozen hogs. I hate to be a downer on the idea, but when I do it, I first leave the hog on ice for 4 or 5 days, then marinate over night, then smoke it at a low temp for 6 to 8 hours while tending the fire, to make sure it is tender.

I am not sure how it would work on a weekend hunt. I know someone would have to devote a bunch of time to keeping the temp right.

I would suggest, if the crawfish thing is out. Just let me buy some kind of meat that is already aged are ready to throw on a hot grill....but if someone can smoke a hog and make it eatable that fast, that would be great, it's behond my skill level.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                        I don't claim to be an expert, but I have smoked about a dozen hogs. I hate to be a downer on the idea, but when I do it, I first leave the hog on ice for 4 or 5 days, then marinate over night, then smoke it at a low temp for 6 to 8 hours while tending the fire, to make sure it is tender.

I am not sure how it would work on a weekend hunt. I know someone would have to devote a bunch of time to keeping the temp right.

I would suggest, if the crawfish thing is out. Just let me buy some kind of meat that is already aged are ready to throw on a hot grill....but if someone can smoke a hog and make it eatable that fast, that would be great, it's behond my skill level.
                        After thinking it over, you're right. Whatever the group decides is good with me.

Comment

Chunky, I'll give it till later tonight to decide, might be some guys getting home that could do the crawfish. If not we will go to plan B, C, or D....

Comment

If the crawfish ain't going to happen... Here's what I'm thinking...

I should get home from work around 4:00 pm tomorrow (Tuesday), I'll pick up 6 - 8 racks of baby back pork ribs, and I'll pre-cook / smoke them, then refrigerate or freeze, and then they can be heated in foil on the grill on Saturday. (I've done them this way before for a hunt we did in Colorado and they were real good.)

I come in from out of town tomorrow afternoon then head out again on Wednesday around noon and I won't get back home till late Thursday night. But I think I'll have enough time to get them cooked and refrigerated tomorrow evening.

Once I get off work tomorrow I'll check this forum and make a post regarding whether I'm going to be able to get 'em done, or not.

Post your thoughts and see if this works for everyone. I'll check in again tomorrow around 4:00 pm.

Comment

If somebody else wants to be responsible for hamburger meat for Saturday lunch, I have some hog and ram I can pre-cook Thursday and we can just re-heat and eat as chopped BBQ for Saturday night. It will be tasty and all we'll have to do is grill the veggies! I'm sure everyone else will want to chill instead of spending the evening cooking on Saturday as well.
                              Last edited by Featherflinger; 03-31-2014, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Featherflinger View Post
                                If somebody else wants to be responsible for hamburger meat for Saturday lunch, I have some hog and ram I can pre-cook Thursday and we can just re-heat and eat as chopped BBQ for Saturday night. It will be tasty and all we'll have to do is grill the veggies!
                                Whatever works for me. I can pick up 1/3 lb hamburger patties at Costco and I'll cook 'em Saturday, or I'll try and get the ribs going tomorrow. Let me know your thoughts.

Andrew

Comment

Working...
                                X