Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

25-06 vs .270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
    That's fantastic! I didn't say it couldn't. I just want more....bullet weight and diameter. Please understand I have killed hogs with .22LR. And deer with a .223 and 22-250. They all died I just feel more comfortable with a heavier round.

But then again....! I also think a 70 poind hog is best shot with a .30 caliber bullet.

Most men won't admit when they're wrong that easily

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      I'd pick the .25-06.
      It will take any game you want.
      I get a kick out of the guys who think you need a .300 Win Mag for anything bigger than a rabbit.
      Splitting hairs between a .277-06 and a .25-06 to make the same argument is a whole new level.

It would take a 60 mph crosswind to push that much drift in 300 yards. The need for a wind hold didn't occur to you as you tried to steady yourself in that gale and somehow you were surprised by the result? Here's your sign...
      I gotta admit that I'm impressed with your ability to soak up the recoil and get your scope back on the animal well enough to see the impact in just 1/3 of a second.
      Someone is in a bad mood!

270 is what I like

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
        folks who own or owned both of these calibers, please school me on 25.06 capabilities, pros/cons.

I own a .270, but I've always wondered about a 25.06

Biggest game a 25.06 can drop.
        accuracy
        shooting/range/power
        recoil
        ammo
        Not much difference in recoil between 120 grain 25-06 and 130 grain 270. I have a couple of both. If it can be killed with a stick and string then it can be killed with either of those 2 rifle calibers. (Shot placement so practice real life shooting situations not from a lead sled.)

My dad has always shot a Ruger M77V in 25-06 and I have witnessed him take whitetails out to 500 yards. He has also killed mule deer and antelope with it. My wife has killed three 60-75 pound pigs in one shot using 25-06 and federal 117 grain Sierra game king bullet, the shot was right at 130 yards and she hit the 1st one through the skull. So with the right bullet you will get pass through. With the 270 I have taken deer to 550 yards and several one shot multiple pig kills. So they are very similar. Which ever one I pick up that day doesnt really matter the results will be the same.

Ammo availability is not a problem, I usually pick up a couple of boxes a year. I will say the 270 ammo you can find just about everywhere ammo is sold. The 25-06 I usually find at a local gun shop.

Comment

They’re both great. I have a 25-06 now and shot a 270 for 30 years prior to that. Either is great.

Comment

Browning BBR .25-06 has been my primary rifle for going on 40 years. Back in the early 80's went rifle shopping at a store in Midland having a blow-out sale. Was looking for a .270, but they were out of them. Was talked into a caliber I'd never heard of before, the .25-06, and I've been content ever since.

It's a very capable medium game (including mule deer) rifle. Flat shooting, accurate, limited kick. Ammo is plentiful. Love my .25-06.

Comment

accuracy in field

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
              They’re both great. I have a 25-06 now and shot a 270 for 30 years prior to that. Either is great.
              X2
              What it boils down to (How well do you Shoot in FIELD at Game) ya can kill them with a 22lr within its range...if ya hit them where ya supposed to..

Comment

I love my 25-06 with 117gr. Hornady factory ammo on whitetail. I think it's just about the perfect round for whitetails. Has never let me down. I do at times take out the 270, but more often that is when I think I may see some pigs at my feeder. I like the extra gr. and power when trying to put down those tough suckers.

Comment

I’ve killed a bunch a deer with both as well, very close to each other in all categories. The .06 can b loaded to reach a speed of 3350 FPS , and man that’s smokin.

Comment

Originally posted by phoneman View Post
                    Someone is in a bad mood!

270 is what I like
                    lol
                    A swing and a miss... just some perspective. ;

Comment

The little known 25-06 Remington can outperform the 270 Winchester and 6.5 Creedmoor, and with better bullets could do even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                        Took the 25-06 on an antelope hunt and watched a bullet land 2.5 feet to the right of my goat at 300 yards.
                        Come on man. You have sight it in first. Do you realize how hard the wind had to be blowing.

I've had both in many different rifles. My screen name on THF is 25-06. No matter how much of a quarter bore whore I am, it has limits. I killed deer and exotics with it most of the time with factory ammo. Lots of dead stuff with a 50% exit. I did handload 80 gr barnes TSX 3600 fps with a 26" barrel that always made an exit.

270 seemed like it was more forgiving as far as shot placement went. Tons of great writers can vouch for that.
                        Just plain kills.

Look into the mirror and say "it's a 25-06"
                        Then say "its a 270". You'll look 10 years younger mentioning the 25.

Comment

I’ve killed a bunch a deer with both as well, very close to each other in all categories. The .06 can b loaded to reach a speed of 3350 FPS , and man that’s smokin.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteZ28Bow View Post
                            There is big price difference between 257 and 25-06 ammo. I have both the 25-06 and the 270. I like to shoot the 25-06 more.
                            Not really. In my .257 wby mag I mostly use the 100 grain Spitzers which are very accurate and in expensive (for Weatherby ammo). My neighbor uses it and when bullet is placed right it does a real good job.
                            Hornady and Norma makes ammo for the .257 also that is comparable price as the .25-06 if that helps you. Also Weatherby now makes the Vanguard S2 with a 26” tube which makes my a carbine since it has a 24” barrel The S2 rifles are a hell of a value also.

Comment

Lots of good information, thanks y'all!

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                                You're going to get 20 different responses from 20 different people.

What I do know, is that a .25-06 is the preferred rifle of a veteran Elk hunter in Montana that's killed more elk in his lifetime than many vetrran hunters here have shot whitetail.

Bullet type, shot selection, etc.....
                                Wonder if anyone has ever done that with a 270.

I have a 25-06 that only likes Accubonds and is very accurate. If I’m hunting pigs or deer I will take it along. It’s my backup to my 280ai

Comment

Working...
                                X