Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

25-06 vs .270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25-06 vs .270

folks who own or owned both of these calibers, please school me on 25.06 capabilities, pros/cons.

I own a .270, but I've always wondered about a 25.06

Biggest game a 25.06 can drop.
    accuracy
    shooting/range/power
    recoil
    ammo

Exact same case with different bullet selections. 270 will carry a much larger bullet while you are capped off at 120 grain in the 25 cal. I personally shoot a 257 weatherby and love it, but I do miss my trusty 270 from back in the day.

Comment

I have owned and shot both for close to 40 years. My 25/06 killed better than 100 deer, the 270 pretty close to that.

My 25 was a Rem 700 shooting 100gr Hornady SPs at 3400. It killed like a laser beam, very few made a step after hit. I hit two bucks too far back on long running shots, both buck stopped and stood head down till I finished them with another hit. I quit using it after a couple of explosive hits and little penetration. I feared it would cost me a big deer one day. If that gun had shot 100grNosler Partitions good I would still be using it.

My 270 is a Rem 700 Classic shooting 130 gr Nosler Partitions at 3200fps. It is my go to deer killer. Any size deer, any range, any angle, even walking straight away..it will kill.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post

accuracy
        shooting/range/power
        recoil
        ammo
        There are only about 1.7 million different factors at play here....

Comment

You're going to get 20 different responses from 20 different people.

What I do know, is that a .25-06 is the preferred rifle of a veteran Elk hunter in Montana that's killed more elk in his lifetime than many vetrran hunters here have shot whitetail.

Bullet type, shot selection, etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
            folks who own or owned both of these calibers, please school me on 25.06 capabilities, pros/cons.

I own a .270, but I've always wondered about a 25.06

accuracy
            shooting/range/power
            recoil
            ammo
            Biggest game a 25.06 can drop-According to most on here, it is all about shot placement, so I imagine you would be able to drop a Cape Buffalo with it. I have both and personally would not use my .25-06 on anything larger than axis, but that is me. I like to use the cartridge that fits the game I am hunting. I know a lot of people use their .25-06 for elk, but I think there are better choices. It is up to you to choose what you want to shoot with the .25-06.

accuracy-Mine is super accurate (Remington 700 Sendero SFI), but I dont know of a gun that is not accurate, when combined with the correct ammo, scope, and shooter ability. IMO there are so many factors that come into play when talking about accuracy. I have never seen a .270 or .25-06 that was not accurate. Now, the cheaper guns are not going to be as accurate as a higher end or higher priced gun or even a custom gun, but to me, they are both the same and that is based on my ability.

shooting/range/power-Again, to me, this is all about the ability of the shooter. If you want to lob bullets at an animal, I am sure you can do it with both calibers. For longer shots, I tend to grab the .270, especially if it is a little windy. That smaller .25 caliber bullet tends to get blown around more for me.

recoil-They are the same cartridge, with pretty much the same amount of powder, so I believe they are about the same. The felt recoil of both of my guns is miniscule in difference, if there is even a difference. Also depends on the weight of the rifle. My Sendero feels like a .223 when shooting and the .270 is a little lighter (Ruger No. 1) so the felt recoil is a little more.

ammo-You are limited in the .25-06 to a 120 grain bullet. You can shoot all the way from 85 grain to 120 grain. To me, that puts a limit on what animal I choose to hunt with the .25-06. The .270 is able to go to a 150 grain bullet. Gives you a little more weight and variety in bullet choices. Both are found on the shelf in most stores, so the availability of ammo is not a concern. .270 would be more common, but I have not been to a store and not been able to find either caliber. Both can be reloaded and the components can be found pretty much anywhere as well.

This is just my opinion and personal experience with the two calibers. I am sure some will agree and some will disagree and have other opinions, so take them, including mine, with a grain of salt. Everyone is going to have differing ideas and opinions on both. Good luck with your choice.

Comment

I have had both and I sold the .270 and kept the 25-06 because I like saying "25-06" better than "270"

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                Exact same case with different bullet selections. 270 will carry a much larger bullet while you are capped off at 120 grain in the 25 cal. I personally shoot a 257 weatherby and love it, but I do miss my trusty 270 from back in the day.
                So if I am already shooting 110 grain bullets out of my .270 then there is really no reason for me to add a .25-06?

Comment

Me personally, nope. But I would push you to look at 257 weatherby...

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                  So if I am already shooting 110 grain bullets out of my .270 then there is really no reason for me to add a .25-06?

Comment

I will say I have shot 4 deer with my 25-06. 2 of them drooped in their tracks. The other 2 ran 40-50 yards with obliterated lungs with hardly any blood trail. No pass through. I was used to my 30-06 leaving a big hole on the exit side.

That being said. We had a 500 yard shooting contest at the lease. My Ruger M77 25-06 won the pot.

Comment

There is big price difference between 257 and 25-06 ammo. I have both the 25-06 and the 270. I like to shoot the 25-06 more.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                        I have had both and I sold the .270 and kept the 25-06 because I like saying "25-06" better than "270"

Best honest answer. Cause I liked it better.

Comment

well no one said it soooooo just buy a 6.5 Cm and your done BWHHAHAHA let the flaming start

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                            The other 2 ran 40-50 yards with obliterated lungs with hardly any blood trail. No pass through. I was used to my 30-06 leaving a big hole on the exit side.
                            What bullet?

Comment

The Hornady 117sst works best for me. Dropped many white tail and axis in their tracks.

Comment

Working...
                              X