Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

25-06 vs .270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
    I will say I have shot 4 deer with my 25-06. 2 of them drooped in their tracks. The other 2 ran 40-50 yards with obliterated lungs with hardly any blood trail. No pass through. I was used to my 30-06 leaving a big hole on the exit side.

That being said. We had a 500 yard shooting contest at the lease. My Ruger M77 25-06 won the pot.
    Simply bullet selection, I've seen a 85 gr barnes, at 3500+, blow straight through a elk.
    With a crappy bullet at those speeds, you might not get a pass through on coyote.

Comment

At this point, just buy every caliber from .17 HMR through Bazooka.

Comment

Just get one of each then you can flip a coin when you walk out the door in the morning on what gets taken. .270 will have more power but more recoil as well. .25-06 will be a little more flat shooting and is just about the perfect deer sized animal cartridge. I am running a .270 now but have always wanted a .25-06 to supplement the arsenal.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
          I have had both and I sold the .270 and kept the 25-06 because I like saying "25-06" better than "270"
          Hehe...25-06 does sound exotic!
          Love my 25-06.. there I typed it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
            I will say I have shot 4 deer with my 25-06. 2 of them drooped in their tracks. The other 2 ran 40-50 yards with obliterated lungs with hardly any blood trail. No pass through. I was used to my 30-06 leaving a big hole on the exit side.

That being said. We had a 500 yard shooting contest at the lease. My Ruger M77 25-06 won the pot.
            The only time I didn’t have a good blood trail with the 25-06 is when I used the wrong bullet. When I switched to Gamekings or Nosler Partition they have performed very well with good blood trails. I have seen a Nosler Partion kill a Mule deer at 400 yards head-on with complete pass through and DRT.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteZ28Bow View Post
              There is big price difference between 257 and 25-06 ammo. I have both the 25-06 and the 270. I like to shoot the 25-06 more.
              Not necessarily.....Hornady make the 110gr eld-x for the .257 mag and is only around $35 a box. Buddy of mine shoots them and they are an awesome round that performs as advertised. I will make the switch when I am out of the $80 a box 110gr nosler accubonds that I still have
              Last edited by K. Lane; 11-28-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

There is big price difference between 257 and 25-06 ammo. I have both the 25-06 and the 270. I like to shoot the 25-06 more.
                Exactly what I was thinking. I shoot a 257 and am pleased with its performance, but the ammo I shoot is $84 a box and I have to order it.
                I have always said buy the rifle that you can find ammo for in any store you go into.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  What bullet?
                  Remington 100 grain Corelokt. Switched to a 117 Horniday and dropped the one deer I shot last year in it's tracks but it did not pass through.

Comment

The Hornady 117sst works best for me. Dropped many white tail and axis in their tracks.
                    Same here.

Comment

The main difference between the two is recoil. There is less in a .25-06.

Comment

I have both and find we shoot the 25-06 more, mainly because the browning rifle has less recoil than the winchester rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
                          I have had both and I sold the .270 and kept the 25-06 because I like saying "25-06" better than "270"

Comment

I have both in the Browning A-Bolt platform. Both with the muzzle brake. Never lost a deer with either rifle. I think I prefer the 25-06 as it's just less recoil. I started using it for "base of the neck" shots for Axis and it's a beast.

I will say that I shot an Axis buck with my .270 and never got an exit wound. Can't imagine a .25-06 would have faired any better.

Comment

My BOL just got the Savage hunter 110 in .270 says the recoil pad it came with really took the kick out.

Comment

I have both, if I could only have 1 it would be the 270 because it is more versatile. It’s a Ruger M77. I wanted a Ruger number 1 and didn’t want 2 rifles the same caliber so I got a 25-06. I like both and both shoot well. I use the 25-06 more because I just love the #1. So I would say stay with the 270 unless you need a reason to buy a new rifle.

Comment

Working...
                                X