Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

25-06 vs .270

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATI View Post
    folks who own or owned both of these calibers, please school me on 25.06 capabilities, pros/cons.

I own a .270, but I've always wondered about a 25.06

Biggest game a 25.06 can drop.
    accuracy
    shooting/range/power
    recoil
    ammo
    I've never owned a .270 but I've shot them many times. I did, however, own a 25/06 for 15 years or so. Great, accurate and low recoil gun - melted deer out to 400 yds with 100 gr ballistic tips. The .270 is a little bit more versatile for heavier bullets and elk sized game, but you can kill an elk with a 25.

I noticed that the once .5" groups started opening up to 1"-1.25" after who knows how many rounds...I bought it used..so I traded it and another gun with a guy for a nice shotgun. Basically gave it to him a bonus gun as the trade wasn't even-steven, so I threw in a shot out, but still huntable 25.

I shoot a 6.5 creed now. Ballistically very similar to the 25 but in a short action and can shoot up to 147 gr pills.

Compare the BCs and muzzle velocities of the 100 and 120 grain of both and you'll see that you get roughly the same performance. Edge to creed - barrel life and lighter gun.

Explore the world of Nosler, renowned for crafting the finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, and brass. Discover our extensive lineup, including Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition, and more. Experience superior quality and performance with Nosler products.

Explore the world of Nosler, renowned for crafting the finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, and brass. Discover our extensive lineup, including Partition, AccuBond, E-Tip, Ballistic Tip, Custom Competition, and more. Experience superior quality and performance with Nosler products.

Comment

Comment

I'll make it easy. For 99.99% of shooters they are the exact same round. So buy both

Comment

Geez, there are about 4 or 5 of you on this thread that have a Ruger #1s in these calibers.. i want one!

Ive used a 270 for over 25 years and it's taken a bunch of game from pigs, to whitetail and axis. All with 130gr. This year in going to work up some nosler partitions in 150gr for a few Audad stalks and possibly seeing an elk.

Ive not used a 25-06 but a hunting buddy shot a trophy axis at 40yds with one and it went down just as quick as a similar size axis i got with my 270 at 80 yds.

I guess that brings me to another point.. we can take some long long shots at our place but 99% of what we actually shoot is within 150yds. Patience is a virtue i guess

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
            The main difference between the two is recoil. There is less in a .25-06.
            Since both have the same parent case and use about the same amount of powder I'd think there would not be much difference in felt recoil between a .25 @ 120 gr than .277 @ 130 grains. But then you have to take into consideration the rifles used etc. also. And I don't have a 25-06 so I'm just guessing here. And I didn't stay @ Holiday Inn last night either.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
              Since both have the same parent case and use about the same amount of powder I'd think there would not be much difference in felt recoil between a .25 @ 120 gr than .277 @ 130 grains. But then you have to take into consideration the rifles used etc. also. And I don't have a 25-06 so I'm just guessing here. And I didn't stay @ Holiday Inn last night either.
              Here ya go

Comment

Working...
              X