Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to get an all purpose rifle. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can kill something with a rock if you hit it enough times in the right place. Personally I wouldn't own a .243. There are so many, much better mid-range calibers available. If I were living in CO, and could only have one rifle I would probably take the very versatile 7mm Mag. It can be loaded with 140gr. to 180gr. ammo that will be light enough for anything deer-sized and heavy enough for long range elk or moose. Not to mention the possibility of a bear encounter.

Comment

I love my .243 now my 13 year old daughter hunts with it. It will kill all you listed, shot placement is the key.

Comment

I don't know why anyone would choose a short action as their only rifle in Colorado, that doesn't make sense.

Comment

Ruger American or Tikka chambered in 243. If you plan to take an elk, I'd step up to a .270

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I don't know why anyone would choose a short action as their only rifle in Colorado, that doesn't make sense.
            Like I said in a previous post, I know a rancher that uses .243 exclusively for elk, and has for more years than some on here have been alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
              Like I said in a previous post, I know a rancher that uses .243 exclusively for elk, and has for more years than some on here have been alive.
              I recognize that it's possible, it's just not the best option.

Comment

I recognize that it's possible, it's just not the best option.
                Conversely, people use 7mm mag and 300mag for Texas whitetail. Considering he wants to hunt predators, not to mention the gazillion Prairie Dogs to be shot, a .243 would be quite versatile in Colorado.

Comment

I'm building a short action rifle for all around now. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything short of a coastal brown bear with it

If it was a 300wsm I'd even use it for them

Comment

Originally posted by Redraider View Post
                    270. I have had mine since I was 16 and now I'm 46. I have killed about everything with it and now my son hints with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                    X2, I have had mine since 15 and now Im 41. I also have passed mine to my son.

Comment

243 will do what you are wanting it to do. I have a 243 and use it for the same things you are looking at. You can find ammo pretty easily, even varmint loads.

Comment

I have a Remington 7400 semi auto 30-06. Tuned by a gunsmith with maybe 3 boxes thru. I can let it go cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                          I'm building a short action rifle for all around now. Wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything short of a coastal brown bear with it

If it was a 300wsm I'd even use it for them
                          If you were going to live and hunt in Colorado, and could only own one rifle...would it be a short action?

I'm assuming our OP doesn't reload, and he mentioned ammo availability as an issue.

Comment

If you were going to live and hunt in Colorado, and could only own one rifle...would it be a short action?

I'm assuming our OP doesn't reload, and he mentioned ammo availability as an issue.
                            Yes

300wsm is available all over and saves weight in most cases with a factory rifle. Mine is literally being built for my hunting out west and is a 6.5saum. Nothing in Colorado either of those is borderline for.

Comment

I don't think you could go wrong with a 30-06, a .270, a 300 win mag

Comment

I don't think some people are reading what your wanting to do with it. A 243 will be perfect, light and fast for coyotes, I've even used mine for prairie dogs, and plenty for deer or antelope. Lots of options.

Comment

Working...
                                X