Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to get an all purpose rifle. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

243 25-06 or my favorite 6.5 creed

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I really appreciate all the input! It's very interesting to see the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
        This^^^^^

The .243win is to light for elk hunting.
        Not at all.

Comment

Granted a 243 can get it done on Mule deer, I have personally had to pump many 140 bullets from my 280 into several big mulies to bring them down. I would want a little more than the 243, but thats me. I would say 2506 would give you that little bump, but I would go with the 6.5

Comment

I vote 25-06 also.

Comment

25-06

Comment

Go look at the Thompson Center Rifles that Academy has on sale. I picked up a bolt action 6.5 Creedmoor for about 225$ after the mail in rebate that is good till the end of the year I believe. They have a lifetime warranty, guaranteed to shoot a 1 inch grouping out of the box, and from all the reviews online seem to be a decent weapon.

You can also pick you caliber here. The only complaint that I had on the weapon so far before firing it was that the bolt is a little sloppy on the ejection. Other than that I can't complain much for a 200$ gun.

Comment

My Ruger M77 MkII in 243 is one of my favorite rifles. Great shooter and have dropped more than enough WT/pigs to count. Shot Win ballistic silvers. Synthetic "paddle" stock is great. Light/sturdy. Great gun.

Comment

30-06 is hard to beat. I have an old Remington 760 pump that is a tack driver. For some reason that model still is pretty cheap dollar wise.
                    270 would be my next choice.

Comment

6.5 prc

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                        After my research I went with the 7mm 08. I would also think about ammo availability as you never know when you will need to pick up some shells. So far every place (small town type stores) I have looked has had 7mm 08.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        my vote as well. great round.

Comment

In my mind all purpose says 308. 7mm-08 would be a good choice too.

Comment

Another 25-06

Comment

If you live in Colorado, sooner or later you'll get to shoot an elk.

.270 Sounds perfect for your situation.

Comment

in order 25-06,270, 6.5 creedmoor, 7mm08, 257 roberts,

1 gun is never going to be perfect for everything, but 1 gun can be marginal on many things, the 243 is marginal on bigger game as are all the 6mm rounds
                                sure it is a good round but should never be considered a good choice for elk or even mule deer, although it has done it and will again it is not a good choice.

25-06 because of bullet design it is much better than a 6mm for elk, but not to brutal for varmints to shoot a lot of rounds it has plenty of range and if you hand load or ever get into it brass is easy to form from 30-06 or 270 with ease.

the 270 a bit better for elk still, but becomes a bit more than needed for varmints increasing recoil a bit.
                                6.5 creedmoor, a good round but still not nearly as easy to come by as the other 2,

7mm08 would be a good choice except the bullets that are preferred for varmints tend to be light weight and big game bullets are heavier,, the rifling twist becomes more important because it might not stabilize one weight well enough..which one is best for you?

257 roberts for all the same reasons as the 25-06, except bullets are harder to find and you loose some effective range

Comment

Working...
                                X