Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Want to get an all purpose rifle. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
    These threads are always fascinating the way all the little camps come out.
    He says he wants a highly available caliber for CXP1-CXP2 game (coyotes to deer).

Ideally it could shoot 90/100gn (coyotes) as well as 120-140gn (deer) bullets, and the heavy ones would still be moving at 1800+ fps when they reached an "all-purpose" of 200 yds for good expansion. From there it's just balancing recoil and ammo availability to pick the best caliber.

The 6.5 CM and 7mm-08 are simply perfect.

25-06 and 6.5 Grendel have a bit less ammo availability but are otherwise great. 243, 270, 308, and the magnums (?!) are a bit over or under the sweet spot. The rest are less desirable for ammo selection.

I recommend a Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM or 7mm-08, then spend the rest of your budget on glass.

You said it much better than I did in post #16

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
      375 H&H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      X2

Comment

you're choices for what you mentioned and available in most sporting goods stores and ammo available everywhere.. 243, 25.06 and 6.5 creedmoore would all be excellent choices.. the 6.5 creed being the winner with lighter bullets available but then you can shoot 140 grs and even up to 160s if you need to for deer or a possible big game animal but that's far from what you mentioned, look for ruger American, ruger american predator, savage axis or rem 700 will all be good hunting shooters right outta the box for a value price, I know the tikka t3 is one of the best out of the box but I'm not sure on the affordability for tikkas?

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
          30.06..... multiple bullet weights from 125 to over 200 grains will get you varmits up to elk. Factory ammo is readily available. Remington 700 is a classic.
          Yep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rafter S View Post
            7mm08
            x2

Comment

Working...
            X