Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Caliber reccomendation for hunting Canadian Whitetails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank Ya sir for the info.

Comment

I would take my 25-06 to hunt anything on the continent except a grizzly (for whatever reason I'd take a bow for that). While yes those are big deer, and I wouldn't take a 22 cal rifle to hunt them, you don't need a magnum. If I was forced to suggest, I'd say no lighter than a .270 if you are buying for the job. Something with a heavy bullet that holds together well, I'd use Sierra's. Make a good shot, and make sure its something you can handle the recoil to. The biggest disease in hunting is thinking you need a magnum rifle, and shooting it to where the recoil scares you, and thus needing a magnum rifle because of inability to have proper shot placement because you're scared of your rifle.

All things said, the 30-06 is the most versatile caliber ever made. If I had to buy one off the self gun to be able to hunt the world with minus africa, it would be a 30-06.

Comment

I shot a 325 lb. Manitoba buck with a .50 muzzleloader. Took out both lungs and he still ran a couple hundred yards while bulldozing trees. Tough suckers.

Comment

Chew thats a Bruiser for sure!

Comment

While I wouldn't hesitate to shoot ANY deer with my 22-250, it wouldn't be my first choice on this trip. I would take my old 30-06, simply because it is something I have always wanted to do with that particular rifle.

And dropping one where he stands is a matter of shot placement, not caliber. Just take whatever you can shoot well.

Comment

Thanks. The sabot stopped just under the hide on the off shoulder. He took it like a champ.

Comment

That is a bruiser for sure

Comment

7mm Rem Mag would get my vote.

Comment

If you are buying a rifle especially for this trip....I'd get a 300 Win Mag....and shoot 180 gr bullets....acubond or similar....you will get full penetration and will certainly leave a blood trail...

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                      .270 gets my vote.
                      X2

Comment

I grew up in Maine hunting big bodied whitetails, Shot my first deer with a .243, then switched to a .270 and my dad has always hunted with a .30-06. None of them have ever let us down. A guy my dad works with shoots big bodied deer ever year up there with a .223, but my suggestion would a .270 or .30-06 (or bigger).

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                          While I wouldn't hesitate to shoot ANY deer with my 22-250, it wouldn't be my first choice on this trip. I would take my old 30-06, simply because it is something I have always wanted to do with that particular rifle.

And dropping one where he stands is a matter of shot placement, not caliber. Just take whatever you can shoot well.
                          correct

Comment

How bout a 270 WSM?

Comment

So what did you decide on?

Comment

6.5x.284

Comment

Working...
                                X