Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank Ya sir for the info.

Comment

I would take my 25-06 to hunt anything on the continent except a grizzly (for whatever reason I'd take a bow for that). While yes those are big deer, and I wouldn't take a 22 cal rifle to hunt them, you don't need a magnum. If I was forced to suggest, I'd say no lighter than a .270 if you are buying for the job. Something with a heavy bullet that holds together well, I'd use Sierra's. Make a good shot, and make sure its something you can handle the recoil to. The biggest disease in hunting is thinking you need a magnum rifle, and shooting it to where the recoil scares you, and thus needing a magnum rifle because of inability to have proper shot placement because you're scared of your rifle.

All things said, the 30-06 is the most versatile caliber ever made. If I had to buy one off the self gun to be able to hunt the world with minus africa, it would be a 30-06.

Comment

I shot a 325 lb. Manitoba buck with a .50 muzzleloader. Took out both lungs and he still ran a couple hundred yards while bulldozing trees. Tough suckers.

Comment

Chew thats a Bruiser for sure!

Comment

While I wouldn't hesitate to shoot ANY deer with my 22-250, it wouldn't be my first choice on this trip. I would take my old 30-06, simply because it is something I have always wanted to do with that particular rifle.

And dropping one where he stands is a matter of shot placement, not caliber. Just take whatever you can shoot well.

Comment

Thanks. The sabot stopped just under the hide on the off shoulder. He took it like a champ.

Comment

That is a bruiser for sure

Comment

7mm Rem Mag would get my vote.

Comment

If you are buying a rifle especially for this trip....I'd get a 300 Win Mag....and shoot 180 gr bullets....acubond or similar....you will get full penetration and will certainly leave a blood trail...

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                      .270 gets my vote.
                      X2

Comment

I grew up in Maine hunting big bodied whitetails, Shot my first deer with a .243, then switched to a .270 and my dad has always hunted with a .30-06. None of them have ever let us down. A guy my dad works with shoots big bodied deer ever year up there with a .223, but my suggestion would a .270 or .30-06 (or bigger).

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                          While I wouldn't hesitate to shoot ANY deer with my 22-250, it wouldn't be my first choice on this trip. I would take my old 30-06, simply because it is something I have always wanted to do with that particular rifle.

And dropping one where he stands is a matter of shot placement, not caliber. Just take whatever you can shoot well.
                          correct

Comment

How bout a 270 WSM?

Comment

So what did you decide on?

Comment

6.5x.284

Comment

Working...
                                X