Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Caliber reccomendation for hunting Canadian Whitetails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used my 300 WSM when I went. Outfitters rules stated 243 or bigger but I personally wouldn't use anything less than a 270.

Comment

?

Originally posted by locknload View Post
      So what did you decide on?
      Still havent decided which direction to go. But I still have some bullet research to do. The reccomends a 30 caliber pill but says definitely not smaller than a 270.

Comment

I thinking about a Remington 700 XCR Tactical 20" .308 in 1:12 twist. I think a short barrel would be alot easier manuvering around in a blind. I see Nosler has some pretty heavy grain accubonds but not sure what twist rate it will take to stabilize them.

Comment

.270 with a 150 grain bullet is what i shoot big mule deer with. or 300 win mag with 180 grain nosler partition is what i use for elk. both of these are plenty

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty View Post
            I have been looking at a 280 AI but having a hard time making a decision.
            Well since you mentioned my favorite.....

If I were going on your hunt tomorrow I would take my 280 AI and my 300 RUM for back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacoal View Post
              I would take my 25-06 to hunt anything on the continent except a grizzly (for whatever reason I'd take a bow for that). While yes those are big deer, and I wouldn't take a 22 cal rifle to hunt them, you don't need a magnum. If I was forced to suggest, I'd say no lighter than a .270 if you are buying for the job. Something with a heavy bullet that holds together well, I'd use Sierra's. Make a good shot, and make sure its something you can handle the recoil to. The biggest disease in hunting is thinking you need a magnum rifle, and shooting it to where the recoil scares you, and thus needing a magnum rifle because of inability to have proper shot placement because you're scared of your rifle.

All things said, the 30-06 is the most versatile caliber ever made. If I had to buy one off the self gun to be able to hunt the world with minus africa, it would be a 30-06.
              You forgot the Atlatl and the moose

Nobody NEEDS a magnum to kill anything. My dad has told me many times that bears have been killed with a .22LR...
              That being said, I still think that having some extra thump would be nice so that you have a little forgiveness (buck fever and whatnot messing up the "perfect" shot). But a .300 win mag on white tails? I would say that it is too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                270, 280, 308, 7mm rem mag would be my choice for the bigger bod died Whitetails. Only reason I wouldn't go smaller is due to chance of crossing path with bear or wolf.
                if it is cold enough to freeze the grease in your gun then the black bears will be hibernating for some time by the time you head to the woods, even if not...black bears??....wolf is an easy kill with a 22-250 so any decent gun that you will have will wear them out.

Comment

7 mag, or .270 Wby.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyl View Post
                    7mm Rem Mag would get my vote.
                    Yup

Comment

Also need to consider ammo replacement if something happens to your super wildcat reloads. Use something like 30-06, 7mm mag, etc. which you can get locally. If you show up with the same round the guide uses, might give him some respect which he would appreciate (while also assuring you would have ammo in an emergency).

Comment

Originally posted by TxNurse View Post
                        Also need to consider ammo replacement if something happens to your super wildcat reloads. Use something like 30-06, 7mm mag, etc. which you can get locally. If you show up with the same round the guide uses, might give him some respect which he would appreciate (while also assuring you would have ammo in an emergency).
                        This is a good point. Ammo and rifle are in separate places. Always a good thing to fly with a gun you can walk into a store and find ammo for.

Comment

Originally posted by TxNurse View Post
                          Well... there goes the argument for the 7mm Allen mag...

Comment

Comment

I don't care if its 400lbs it's still a whitetail that will drop like a rock with a high shoulder shot from a 25-06.. I use the 300s because I already have them but 25-06 and .270 are perfect whitetail calibers from down here to up there.

I don't vote for the bullets that are all about penetration for whitetails. IMO a quick expander is best for thin skinned game to do the most internal damage.
                              Last edited by bphillips; 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I'm not a fan of .22 caliber bullets for whitetails at all. Sure it can be done with good shot placement. I'd definitely do NOT recommend using a .22 caliber for the Northern brutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X