No announcement yet.

Caliber reccomendation for hunting Canadian Whitetails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go with anything .30 cal or larger. Just think a .30 cal is an all around winner. Don't let anyone tell you that a .300 mag is too much for deer. Dead is dead.

I would find a .30 caliber (or larger) cartridge you like and are comfortable with and use it.

It all comes down to what your confident in and comfortable with.

I have shot many, many whitetails with a .300 RUM, mainly because I bought that rifle to elk hunt with and fell in love with it while working up reloads and I was comfortable with it. I shoot a 6.5x55 Swede now.

The terminal damage has more to do with the bullets performance than the actual caliber IMO.

If I were going where you're going, I'd take my .300 RUM loaded down with 180 Nosler Partitions. And maybe a back up ballistic tip load for longer ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Seacoal View Post
      If I was forced to suggest, I'd say no lighter than a .270 if you are buying for the job. Something with a heavy bullet that holds together well, I'd use Sierra's. Make a good shot, and make sure its something you can handle the recoil to. The biggest disease in hunting is thinking you need a magnum rifle, and shooting it to where the recoil scares you, and thus needing a magnum rifle because of inability to have proper shot placement because you're scared of your rifle.

All things said, the 30-06 is the most versatile caliber ever made. If I had to buy one off the self gun to be able to hunt the world with minus africa, it would be a 30-06.
      My thoughts exactly.

Comment

If you're going to chamber a 30-06, why be afraid of 7mag?

Comment

Take what you are confident with shooting. Something with some bump might be better, but it has to be on the mark first. IMO

Comment

Working...
          X