Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

AR/Tacticool Thread of Awesome! (AR Info here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post
    yuppers!

so I can go buy a stripped lower, go to my class 3 guy, fill out the ppwk, send in the $200 and after the stamp comes back....rock it out?

now in the mean time....can I use it as a REGULAR lower and put a REGULAR upper on it (while the ppwk is out)? As long as I don't have an SBR upper on it?

or once I fill out the ppwk, do I have to leave it at the dealer?

I don't have a lower yet, but there's a show coming up in a couple weeks...
    You do the paperwork, your dealer unless he's just wanting to help you out has nothing to do with a Form 1 build. Unless he is the manufacturer.

It is my understanding that yes you can do that. You can also place a pistol buffer tube that does not accept a stock on there and utilize your SBR length upper in the mean time until your form 1 comes back approved.

Once your Form 1 is approved, have it engraved with the manufacturer name (you or your trust, and city of manufacture) and do it by someone reputable. There is a place in Dallas, cant remember the name at the moment.

Then assemble your weapon. Remember, don't buy your SBR length upper unless you have the pistol buffer tube on your weapon. As having a pistol length upper and a receiver that is freely able to be easily made into an SBR is a felony.

When in doubt always err to the side of caution as the ATF doesn't really go for I'm sorry I didn't know the law.
    Last edited by mesquitecountry; 05-17-2011, 10:25 PM.

Comment

ahhhh...I see

so, in looking at the Form 1
      If I'm registering the lower...what do I put for bbl length if I don't have an upper yet.
      Or do I need to get the lower w/pistol buffer and an SBR upper, then register the lower...wait for approval, then add the stock?

AND...looking at all the CLEO stuff on the form1...I can still bypass all that with an NFA Trust, yes? and check individual and list the trust? and reason for buying...cuz it's cool? I know that's not gonna fly

eek...sorry for playing 20 questions

Comment

Travis since I see your up at at it, I have a question.
        Whats the deal with the trust?
        I would eventually like to build a AR and was wondering, I know its not required for a 16 inch barrel and up but it is for a 12 or 14, right!
        What is the trust and whats the need?
        Thanks

Comment

Legally Own NFA Firearms Do you want to legally own NFA firearms, such as suppressors / silencers, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, or fully-automatic weapons / machine guns? We can help you. Are you looking for an experienced Texas NFA gun trust attorney to answer your questions an

Comment

Found the answer to the Form 1 CLEO/Trust stuff

Thanks for the links bily! I knew about Sean's site...did not know about the other one.

Comment

How much does it usually cost to have a trust done?

Comment

Originally posted by park5115 View Post
                Looking at a sling for my rig.

I like the magpul multi mission. Any of you guys have an idea when the MS3 is coming out???

Don't want to get an MS2 if I can wait a few weeks for the MS3
                I talked to my industry insider guy and he laughed and said Magpul has been saying its coming out for the past year. He had no clue when we would see them

Comment

Bily how long does it take Sean to respond to emails? I've sent him 2 emails over the past week and 1/2 and no response as of yet. I even threw your name around and that hasn't helped so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Bily how long does it take Sean to respond to emails? I've sent him 2 emails over the past week and 1/2 and no response as of yet. I even threw your name around and that hasn't helped so far.
                    why do you think youre not getting responses?

Comment

Bily, thanks for the info and links.
                      Are folks having that much trouble getting a cleo to sign off?

Comment

Originally posted by thor View Post
                        Bily, thanks for the info and links.
                        Are folks having that much trouble getting a cleo to sign off?
                        I don't know that there are lots of folks having trouble with CLEO except for Harris and Dallas counties for sure but there are many other advantages to going the trust route vs CLEO sign off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

what name are you throwing around

this is the contacti info i have for him.
                          281-451-4175
                          sjccody@gmail.com
                          primary - seancody@houstonattorney.org

pm me your info and i'll send it to him, or if you're on facebook, he's got two or three sites there also...

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
                            what name are you throwing around

this is the contacti info i have for him.
                            281-451-4175
                            sjccody@gmail.com
                            primary - seancody@houstonattorney.org

pm me your info and i'll send it to him, or if you're on facebook, he's got two or three sites there also...
                            Just kidding on the name throwing.

I've sent emails to both emails on his website including the houston attorney one listed above. I haven't tried calling him.

PM coming.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
                              You do the paperwork, your dealer unless he's just wanting to help you out has nothing to do with a Form 1 build. Unless he is the manufacturer.

It is my understanding that yes you can do that. You can also place a pistol buffer tube that does not accept a stock on there and utilize your SBR length upper in the mean time until your form 1 comes back approved.

Once your Form 1 is approved, have it engraved with the manufacturer name (you or your trust, and city of manufacture) and do it by someone reputable. There is a place in Dallas, cant remember the name at the moment.

Then assemble your weapon. Remember, don't buy your SBR length upper unless you have the pistol buffer tube on your weapon. As having a pistol length upper and a receiver that is freely able to be easily made into an SBR is a felony.

When in doubt always err to the side of caution as the ATF doesn't really go for I'm sorry I didn't know the law.
                              Another option to the form one would be to buy a stripped registered SBR lower .. so you don't have to jack with form 1's or having your name engraved on it... some people say it can't be done that way.. well I have 2 of them that were done that way.. my dealer had 10 of them.. all went through the form 3 and form 4 processes .. all delivered to happy customers ....

Mesquite is right though .. if you want to play in the mean time , just make a pistol lower before you buy that upper ... and you'll be golden...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                                Another option to the form one would be to buy a stripped registered SBR lower .. so you don't have to jack with form 1's or having your name engraved on it... some people say it can't be done that way.. well I have 2 of them that were done that way.. my dealer had 10 of them.. all went through the form 3 and form 4 processes .. all delivered to happy customers ....

Mesquite is right though .. if you want to play in the mean time , just make a pistol lower before you buy that upper ... and you'll be golden...
                                You can definitely buy stripped SBR lowers from a manufacturer.

Did all of the SBR and trust questions get answered? Sean Cody did my trust as well as my brothers. I have some NFA items in a trust, and I have some items that are LEO.

Best thing about trusts, they are undoubtedly your separate property and are lined out just like a will, that tells you where your items go once you expire. If you pass away you still have to have the items transferred to your designated recipient, which is a simple form 3 transfer (I think?) to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X