No announcement yet.

POWDERHORN 2022 hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sat in the same stand this morning and saw nothing. Got out early am and stared hiking watering holes and glassing as much as I could. These things are hard to see in the open with the tall vegetation . Saw handful of hinds and a few whitetail. Sat in a new stand in my section that was over a tank saw a nice whitetail buck I thought about shooting but told myself it here for a stag. One hind that came into bow range. And one whitetail doe. Showed the staff the pic of the hind and they said that was a good size one. It was by itself and I thought it was small. So looking back at yesterday and talking to them it seems the first pair I saw was a stag and hind. They can lose their horns any time of year. And what I thought was a baby was the same size as this hind. Beautiful place around the watering holes
    with some harsh vegetation.

Comment

Ever seen an 80lb gut pile? I’ve never taken a picture of one before my Sambar Stag. Reminded me of Empire Strikes Back.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
        Ever seen an 80lb gut pile? I’ve never taken a picture of one before my Sambar Stag. Reminded me of Empire Strikes Back.
        Id love to see a stag. Instead of striking out I may engage meat hunt tomorrow. Thoughts from those that have been here before? And for reference, not a single sambar brought in yet. I have all day tomorrow and Thursday AM to hunt

Comment

We were there for the youth hunt in November - weather was cold and wet. The Sambar seemed to move more in the afternoon/evening.
          My son got his Sambar between blind 6 & 17 where the brush was thicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I stalked up on three of them when I was there earlier this year. I would not be sitting in a stand. I got the advice from someone who hunted there a couple times. It worked for them and for me. Even if you have to drive around and stand on top of your truck to glass. Find them and go after them. I stalked this one to 30 yards.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
              I stalked up on three of them when I was there earlier this year. I would not be sitting in a stand. I got the advice from someone who hunted there a couple times. It worked for them and for me. Even if you have to drive around and stand on top of your truck to glass. Find them and go after them. I stalked this one to 30 yards.
              I’ve done stands about 2 hrs from sun up and 2 hrs before dark then walking the watering holes. Also been doing a lot of standing on my truck lol.I’m solo so have a smaller compartment but been hitting all of it.

Comment

I think you are doing it right, just need to get lucky and run across one. Doesn't sound like anyone is having luck but you may look into switching compartments at lunch today to shake it up a bit for your last 2 hunts...

Comment

Shot fired

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                    Shot fired
                    No two greater words when hunting!

Congrats.

Rwc

Comment

In for an update.

Comment

What stands are u at