POWDERHORN 2022 hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powderhorn 12/5 - 12/8 Update

Ended up with a 300 lb hind and Hog / Russian Boar cross from the 4 days of hunting. The weather was not optimal and I think a lot of animals we laying low during the day. I was the last one out and if I remember right, there were only 4 Sambar taken and 1 Axis. I saw a handful of stags but was waiting for something with size. Ended up taking the hind at 350 yards with literally 8 mins left in the hunt.

Thoughts for others that get drawn. Some of this I picked up from other threads and reaching out to those that hunted previously.

The Sambar numbers are down – hearing from over 1800 to now less than 400. Unfortunately, they are trying to eradicate them as they are impacting the wetlands. Very few axis left as well. I am certain there are still some sizable ones there, they are just going to be harder to hunt.

Weather was hot so I never sat in the stands. My area was 19 / 20 so I scouted all the wet areas and setup in many for a few hours at a time. I have a lot of the stands marked on OnX now for those that are going in the near future.
    If you have a UTV – it can be an advantage – they put in me in a spot that was not accessible by vehicles for safety reasons. I used the roof to stand and scout.
    Think about the recovery. My hind was in the middle of a tidal flat. Was able to get to her fine but was worried about it right after the shot. I was solo but the TPWD staff came to assist – they were great!
    Mosquitos – yea – ThermaCell did not work for me but once you got still – they were not that bad.
    Pack light so you can be mobile if they are not moving and hunt all day. It goes by really fast.
    Brings lots of knives or replaceable blades.
    Stayed at the Poco Loco based on previous recommendations. Clean and comfortable – perfect for me. The only pain was unloading the truck each night. I did not want to chance any type of break in.

Again – the TPWD staff was great – very well managed and they helped as much as possible. Best drawn hunt I have been on to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

congrats, its a beautiful place

Comment

Good luck to all who drew, still waiting for the notification one day.

Comment

Good hunt

Comment

Looking forward to bringing my 12 year old daughter down there for this hunt (Jan 7th and 8th). She drew a youth tag with 5 points.

Hoping she can handle the 7mm mag recoil. (She's only shot the 22-500 up until now.)
            Headed to the range soon to find out.

Comment

Nice write up Keith. Congrats on the animals. We were in the compartment next to you. 13/14. It was really slow for us. I passed a hind on the second day of the hunt. Only other Sambar I saw was a very large stag for about 2 seconds as it crossed the road. My buddy that was with me only saw 2 as well, both hinds and neither provided a shot. He spent more time in the blinds and I did more driving/walking and glassing.

Comment

Great write ups. I’m headed down solo Monday for 12th-15th hunt and I’m excited. It crept up fast.

Comment

Running up to the deer lease now to shoot a few more rounds as I haven’t shot in a few weeks. Very comfortable with this gun but practice is a good thing. Closest public range is 30 minutes and it’s only 100 yards. Deer lease is a little over an hour and I can shoot as far as I want off sticks. Will any other TBH’rs be there tomorrow?

Comment

Planning on going as a standby.

Comment

I’ll be there with my son in January. He loves shooting his 25-06. Is that enough gun or do we need to step up to my .270 or 30-06?

Comment

Sb. Maroon f 250.

Comment

If your son is comfortable with the 25, I’d let him use it.

Put it in the right spot, and it’ll kill anything on that property.

Comment

Oh man these things are big. Glasses what I thought was a male and female at about 600 yards at a watering hole. Stalked towards them losing them in the brush. The chocolate color blends in real wel in the shadows. Found the doe. Got closer could see the big male in the brush he steps out and it’s a female. It was a mom and baby. The baby was probably 200 pounds. Chocolate color made the neck of the mom look like a small horse lol. Really cool to see. Had about 150 yard shot and backed out after sitting there a bit. Saw one whitetail doe and a coyote. Videod the coyote. He wasn’t worried about me at all. No shots fired. Just in the stand. Very cool place but rough to hike through very tall and thick.

Comment

go get'em!

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                                go get'em!
                                my sons stag field dressed around 350 if i remember rught, they are huge

Comment

Working...
                                X