"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info David.

Do you have your boat going yet? If so, when are going to get on some crappie? I need some fiah to fry.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
      just to give u guys an update for out here at the lake, I have been seeing a lot of bobwhite quail(never before have I saw this many) all or most have chicks, tons of doves(morning and Eurasian collared) lots of does with fawns, and I have seen 3 trophy bucks with about 75% velvet growth, lots of young bucks. Just fyi for any of you bird hunters, and I still haven't heard from the tpwd biologist derrick walters, I quess we will find out at the last minute if there will be a post card hunt out here, I don't think trey carpenter has anything to do with granger but I am going to send him a pm and see if he can have derrick call me. I am going to try to square away the tpwd check station, i.e. getting it cleaned up and grass cut it looks bad over there.
      Thank you for your updates and work.

Comment

them hogs are here Chris, but with all this standing corn around the lake they are just laying around in the most thickest cover which is all over and hitting the corn at night, the deer are making there way to the corn late in the evenings around 8:30 pm I am just excited to be out here and to be able to see what we will be able to kill and eat in the fall lol, starting on sept 1..........if anyone needs a dove report shoot me a pm towards august and I will put u on a limit of doves opening morning, I may be hunting with you. me and my yellow lab.......we won't lose any birds....

Comment

crappie not good in river

Originally posted by LemmeOut View Post
          Thanks for the info David.

Do you have your boat going yet? If so, when are going to get on some crappie? I need some fiah to fry.
          Tidwell is catching a few, but his last clients went out in the heat and I think they kept 15 all day..............I went up in the river last weekend and caught 85 white bass on shad rap style crankbaits in between primitive boat launch and primitive camp, there's still a ton of baby shad in the river swimming close to the surface, they wouldn't hit my jigs only crankbaits or rattle traps that look exactly like a shad......we only had 35 keepers out of the 85, some were 17 inchers though....and we caught 2 legal largemouth bass that got fillet as well.....

Comment

them hogs are here Chris, but with all this standing corn around the lake they are just laying around in the most thickest cover which is all over and hitting the corn at night, the deer are making there way to the corn late in the evenings around 8:30 pm I am just excited to be out here and to be able to see what we will be able to kill and eat in the fall lol, starting on sept 1..........if anyone needs a dove report shoot me a pm towards august and I will put u on a limit of doves opening morning, I may be hunting with you. me and my yellow lab.......we won't lose any birds....
            I can't wait for cooler weather. Hopefully ill get blessed this year and get drawn to hunt out there.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
              I can't wait for cooler weather. Hopefully ill get blessed this year and get drawn to hunt out there.
              X2

Comment

just to give u guys an update for out here at the lake, I have been seeing a lot of bobwhite quail(never before have I saw this many) all or most have chicks, tons of doves(morning and Eurasian collared) lots of does with fawns, and I have seen 3 trophy bucks with about 75% velvet growth, lots of young bucks. Just fyi for any of you bird hunters, and I still haven't heard from the tpwd biologist derrick walters, I quess we will find out at the last minute if there will be a post card hunt out here, I don't think trey carpenter has anything to do with granger but I am going to send him a pm and see if he can have derrick call me. I am going to try to square away the tpwd check station, i.e. getting it cleaned up and grass cut it looks bad over there.
                Very interesting about the quail!!

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
                  Very interesting about the quail!!
                  Yep. I have seen them out there but very few

Comment

Big hogs

Comment

Love to hear the quail news. Granger always had good quail habitat and I was puzzled by their absence. Wondered if it was fire ants or hogs causing it.

Comment

fire ants have disappeared out here since june, I haven't seen a mound one, maybe too hot and they all died......but I am puzzled that the quail are on a comeback.........I am very happy to see them.......all over the lake and external out behind the dam off the co road headed towards san Gabriel/thorndale....also been seeing alot of cottontails and jackrabbits......I think we all will have an abundance to hunt in the fall as long as we can get some more rain, on a negative note the lake has gone down a couple of feet....pray for more and more rain....oh I forgot to tell yall there are a million big grasshoppers out here anywhere you see Johnson grass.......if anyone likes to eat grasshoppers lol....protein

Comment

any news on postcard hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by bigbowman91 View Post
                            any news on postcard hunt?
                            No post card hunt this year. Stay home lol

Hope your doing well bud.

Comment

don't worry I'll call them lol doing great ready for it to cool down

Comment

This weather is giving me the itch to head out bad!

Comment

Working...
                                X