"OFFICIAL" 2014 Aransas Wildlife Refuge Hunt Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RickyS View Post
    I have to agree. Imagine your worst mosquito nightmare and triple that. I hunted it in the early '80s when all you had to do was show up. Tents would line the road on both sides for a mile up to the entrance.
    i was one of those tent campers back in the day. first trip back since 1988 best as i can figure. when i left that time i said never again, kind of like blind dates i guess. after a while you forget why you swore never again. NEVER AGAIN i'm too old and have better options. thats two things i've sworn off and not even new years yet. no more aransas heat humidity and skeeters, no plane rides to South Africa. done them both more than once and its someone else's turn.

thats it for my whining i will finish this hunt honorably, hopefully successfully and go in search of easier country while celebrating sixty years. good luck and carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by hogdaddy View Post
      i was one of those tent campers back in the day. first trip back since 1988 best as i can figure. when i left that time i said never again, kind of like blind dates i guess. after a while you forget why you swore never again. NEVER AGAIN i'm too old and have better options. thats two things i've sworn off and not even new years yet. no more aransas heat humidity and skeeters, no plane rides to South Africa. done them both more than once and its someone else's turn.

thats it for my whining i will finish this hunt honorably, hopefully successfully and go in search of easier country while celebrating sixty years. good luck and carry on.
      I'm guessing we're going to add an old folks home there on the refuge for you ....1

Only one hog was brought in yesterday. Something they are doing different on the hog contest is everyone that gets a hog has their name put in for the drawing, $100.

Today one spike, a six point, and a doe were brought in today. JJ'a son kill the 6pt and doe, I killed the spike.

This morning I didn't see anything, then moved my stand back into the brush line another 10'. On the way in this afternoon I jumped a hog out of a hog waller then when I sat into my tripod I spooked a turkey hen and gobbler, this is out at the end of point pasture rd. About 5:45 pm out about 500yrds I saw a buck chasing a doe, then I looked to my left and saw the spike coming. Easiest shoot I've ever had on a deer. Moving my stand back 10' into the brush did the trick. Had another buck run out of the brush to see who was dragging my spike out, I thought about passing on the spike but the shear beauty of how well my new stand placement was working didn't let it happen..

JJ reported his group had observed several bucks breeding doe out on the salt flats.
      Last edited by Thumper; 10-07-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Didn't hunt this morning so only 1 buck was brought in, a 3pt. It was reported they only sold around 125 permits and so far only 85 of them have checked in to hunt. Not very many hunters this year.
        Attached Files

Comment

Settled in about 200yds from a pond over looking an old fire brake/deer trail. Grass is pretty talk, easy for deer and hogs to around unseen.

Sorry my pictures are turned wrong, ??????.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Thumper; 10-08-2014, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Back in the same set this morning, didn't see anything yesterday. This morning I had a hog at less than 5yds before shooting time. If I had known for 100% sure it was a hog and not a javi before it busted out this story would read, right at shooting time...just saying...

Two groups of hogs crossed the fire break right before sunrise, 6 or 8 small hogs with 2-3 sows in each group. On the way out I'm going to move over by the pond. The tall grass here is killing me. I'm in a 5' tripod and if a deer walks by at 20yds I'll never see it unless it walks down the fire-break.

This morning on the way in I had a 60 hog run out and hit the right side of my bumper and knocked the cowling loose. I had moved over to the right to go around 3 hogs standing in the left side of the road when the one hit ran out, only going about 20mph so no road kill bacon.

Comment

Just screwed the pouch, missed a hog at 10yds laying in a mud hole. Snuck up on where I jumped a hog on the way to the stand and sure enough one was in there sleeping. I missed judged the configuration of the mud hole lip and rushed the shot because he was waking up. I could only see about 3" of the hog so i shot low, to low and hit the lip of the hole. Never touched the hog, didn't spook much and almost got off another shot as he left.

Sure would like that shot over...
              Attached Files

Comment

Didn't move my stand this morning. The Doug pond had good water in it but there wasn't any tracks/sign deer and hogs were using it. The fire-break has fresh tracks so I left the tripod there. Pond had a 6' gator, I named him boots. Didn't spook and followed behind me at 10yds the whole length of the pond and back ????.
                Attached Files

Comment

After missing the hog in his mud hole yesterday I hit a doe high right at dark and didn't find her. Checked this morning and
                  saw where I pushed her up last night looking for her. Then this morning I shot just over the back of a nice 8pt. I'm having trouble getting the arrow down where it needs to be in this tall grass.

Then adding insult to injury, on the way back in this morning I jumped another hog out of a mud hole. Truck says 93* so maybe.....

Comment

"OFFICIAL" 2014 Aransas Wildlife Refuge Hunt Information

I had a great hunt this year at the wildlife refuge. Sunday morning, I shot a big hog a little high, trailed blood for about 400 yards before losing the trail. The rest of the week I came up empty without seeing anything at all. Thursday evening, I was able to connect with a small doe, which ducked my arrow. I ended up catching her in the spine. Then this morning, I had a 4 point come by and made a perfect double lung shot. He only ran 50 yards before pilling up. I'm a firm believer in the 2" swhacker broadhead. I figured 2 deer was enough, so until next year!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by khunter; 10-10-2014, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Are the Mosquitos still as bad as they used to be???

Tongue and cheek........

Comment

Love me some Swackers

Comment

Originally posted by RLB View Post
                          Are the Mosquitos still as bad as they used to be???

Tongue and cheek........
                          Skeeters really bad this morning, very little wind. Just Had tawo small groups of hogs crossing the fire-break.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
                            Skeeters really bad this morning, very little wind. Just Had tawo small groups of hogs crossing the fire-break.
                            help is on the way, front came through castroville this morning. tomorrow might be epic. good luck.

Comment

Sitting on a water hole off Burgentine Road and the wind just switched from out of the NE. Hope this cooler wind holds. I've already pulled my stands on the point to hunt a burned area with short grass, might need to rethink this.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Well it wasn't much of a front, more like T-Storms. It rain on the south and north parts of the refuge but not the middle. Had some hogs growling at me because the wind was swirling, didn't see anything. Stepped on a cover of quail on the way back in, thought for sure it was rattlesnake. Good size covet, about 35 birds. Saw two dink bucks with does on they out, also a spotted fawn.

Something I've noticed on the refuge is when there is a rain shower the bucks move around a little right afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X