No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" 2014 Aransas Wildlife Refuge Hunt Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, that's a pretty big chunk of the refuge closed just for one family group of cranes. I can see closing the area South along bay side of East Shore Rd, be nice to have access to the North side. I think their home range is only 1k acres.

What happens if more cranes show up before/during the hunt? There's more and more cranes each year, eventually they're going to have to adapt to friendly human contact, besides, there's no restrictions placed on fishing and tour boats inside the crane's home range.

Comment

headed out from houston now...see you guys in about 3.5-4 hours

Comment

Hope the class went well; wish I could have attended. Can somebody tell me the prevailing wind dirction on the NWR? I would assume it is usually coming in off the coast but I've never been there so just wondering

Comment

Primary wind is SSE. Lots and lots of skeeters this weekend. We had a great class. We had 18 in the class this year. Thanks to all that attended enjoyed it.

Comment

Yup, was a good time. Great people. And more mosquitos than ive seen in Canada, Alaska, an Lousianna combined.

Comment

How was the water on the hunting area? is there a lot of standing water?

Comment

Well Back doctor said NO to the hunt so I didn't make the class.
                Hope all had a good time Good Luck on the hunt.
                Don't hunt my special spot OKAY.

Comment

Saddle Tramp,
                  If you'll share you're special spot I'm sure somebody will be glad to "keep it warm" for you.

Comment

How many permits have been sold, any standing water other than the dugout ponds, how tall and thick is the grass, any ticks?

Comment

Permits as of this weekend was about 120. Dont know about water in hunt area, grass height , or ticks. I did not scout.

Comment

Well guys they are calling for around 3 inches of rain possible here in Rockport between now and Saturday so be ready.
                        If it gets bad and there is a good Hold'em game somewhere let me know.

GOOD LUCK on the hunt. Wish I could make it.

Comment

There is a big open Right of Way 40 yards wide and runs about 3/4 of a mile then bottle necks down to a big grass flat, just north of Conoco on the west side of the road.
                          It's about a 1/4 mile off the road, nice big Oak at the bottleneck on east side of right of way,
                          Wind out of the SE will blown scent to the flat, Deer come down R O W from the south so no problems there.
                          Good spot I have taken deer there in both seasons.

Comment

Has anyone used game cameras at the refuge, I was thinking of using one this year

Comment

I'm bringing a couple as well

Comment

I enjoyed meeting everyone at the class. Thanks to , Danny and J.J. for putting it together. Scouting was a chore due to the size, heat, and mosquitoes. And don't forget about the rain washing the tracks out. Anyway, dont forget your water.

Comment

Working...
                                X