No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" 2014 Aransas Wildlife Refuge Hunt Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weather is good here today, cool, light breeze out of the southeast.
    No rain in Rockport or ANWR on the radar.

Comment

I was hoping for some scouting reports?

Comment

From what i noticed roads were still a little wet however with my 2 wheel drive I had no problem, I do not hunt over ponds but don't think I would focus on them so much since all the rain I'm sure there is standing water. I saw 1 big sow and a spike where I'm hunting, both were seen mid afternoon. Mosquitos are bad but with the head net I had it wasn't too bad at all.

Comment

Just in case no one realizes, we are about three days away from hunting time!!!

Comment

Will be headed out by this time tomorrow.

Comment

less than 48 hours to go!!!!

Comment

How did the first morning go?

Comment

Good luck, I hope you didn't forget your thermacell.

Comment

ANWR harvest report:

Saturday: 1 doe, 4 buck
                    Great weather, low humidity, skeeters BAD along with ticks....I only got 2 hours of stand time...had to drive back to Houston for work meeting...ugh

Sunday: O doe, O buck, as of dark last night.
                    Crappy weather...hot/humid, nothing moving...hit 92 on my truck temp.

I was told 120 bow hunters but I seriously doubt half were there Saturday. Sunday was a ghost town.

I came home with nuthin, JFTR...

Thanks to Jason and Richard for the hospitality.

Was gonna hunt there today but had to come back to Houston...again.

I doubt I'll bow hunt ANWR again. It's too freakin hot...sweated through 4 pairs of understuff, soaked my scentgear. Plus even a deer on a 50 yard death run can be unbelievable...it's so thick everywhere.

Rifle for sure since they drop and it's deeper into the fall...just TOO hot

Comment

Thumper where you at?
                      I didn't see you out there.
                      I missed a trotting hog saturday, saw 2 bucks too far to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by SLICE & DICE View Post
                        Thumper where you at?
                        I didn't see you out there.
                        I missed a trotting hog saturday, saw 2 bucks too far to shoot.
                        Hunting Camp Bullis...

Got to the refuge about 1030hrs today, 85 degrees. Scouted and placed a couple stands 94 degrees. Not very many hunters this year, but by the looks of the flagging there's a lot hunters. Most of it looks like its just to block access.

Skeeters are bad during the mid-day. Grass is medium tall and only thick to about knee high. Acorns are hard to find then you stumble into an area where they look like grapes clusters ????. Water is spread out right now but it looks like new water, the ponds that have had water for a while should still have deer using them. Saw one dead rattle snake killed at a new oilfield pad site most likely run by the road grater. Red fish working the point pasture shore line.

Comment

Originally posted by GulfCoastRaider View Post
                          Bring Thermacell's, plenty of refills, and 100% DEET, the 'squitors will be horrible, especially if frequent rains continue. Usually about get carried off by swarms without plenty of spray and thermacells burning.
                          I have to agree. Imagine your worst mosquito nightmare and triple that. I hunted it in the early '80s when all you had to do was show up. Tents would line the road on both sides for a mile up to the entrance.

Comment

Yep, I sat down in my ground blind and quitewas waiting for them to go away. Realized real quick my thermacell was back at the truck, All is good now though....
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Thumper; 10-06-2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I was only able to hunt all saturday and half sunday, I scared a doe walking to my tripod sunday morning and other than seeing a few animals in the distance I didn't see anything at my stands. I look forward to hunting the rifle weekends and will for sure be back next year for the bow season. It is for sure a very hard hunt especially with the full moon but for those of us who don't have leases its a great option. One of these days I want to be able to hunt for 4 days straight but its hard with school and work. I was able to set up my game cam at one of my spots and saw two does and one 6 pt. but all activity was between 11p-2a. Hope everyone has a good time at the refuge and stay safe.

Comment

Any new news?

Comment

Working...
                                X