"Official" Sam Houston National Forest 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roguecraft101 View Post
    Has anyone tried one of those "buck bombs" arisol can that sprays scent and supposedly try come running... I don't think it's baiting because its not edible
    I tried a can of buck bomb once 2 years ago and don't recall it bringing anything in. My routine is using wicks or tampons with golden estrus handing near my shooting lanes. Seems to bring the spikes in quite well (most of my experience is gun season though). Never had it do much for a shooter buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown View Post
      Had an interesting thing happen to me Saturday afternoon in the woods, thought I'd run it by you guys. A buddy and I are hunting the backside of a pond, below the dam about 200 yards apart. I can see him, he is tucked up almost under the dam. I thought I heard a vehicle and looked over his head and there was a white Ford Expedition, green stripe down the side and said law enforement on it in green.

I hear two guys talking, mind you I cant see theme being below the dam, all of the sudden they open fire and shoot off at least 2 dozen rounds, maybe closer to 4 dozen rounds, firing at the same time at what seemed to be nothing.

What do you think about this, after shooting they got back in their trucks and left ruining any opportunities we would have had for the afternoon.

Location, locked gate FS road, turning off the FS road about a mile in and then down another dirt type road/ path. The area they are firing is a designated camping area (not during hunt season.)

I have debated if I make a phone call about this or simply let it be?
      Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
      Make the call. It was the Federal Law Enforcement officers that patrol the forest. If it was them and they are going around shooting like that they need to forced to go find another job. Also call TP&W. They work together and the higher-ups would like to know if there are some bad apples out there.
      TPW said there is nothing they can do about it. They said to call the forest service who is closed for Columbus day. Will make the call tomorrow.
      Definitely do not let this go! That same law enforcement group, not necessarily those officers, gave me a ticket for target shooting in the forest. The D.A. couldn't tell me what law I was in violation of, and told me it wasn't his job to know. They called the officer and the law he used basically said that if the list of legal activities didn't say you could do it, it was illegal. If it is illegal for me to target shoot in the SHNF, it's illegal for them as well. Not to mention the foolishness of random shooting out there during hunting season.
      Dave

Comment

Good luck to everyone out there tomorrow. I will be watching from the desk blind!

Comment

I had plans or a morning sit tomorrow but now I find myself driving to Eagle Pass for a funeral. Hopefully i can get to the forest this weekend. Good luck to everyone tomorrow

Comment

If I come into work early and get off at 230-3 I can be in the forest by 430-5 wonder if thats early enough! =P

Comment

If I come into work early and get off at 230-3 I can be in the forest by 430-5 wonder if thats early enough! =P
              No I think you're better off letting me check out that area for you tonight and report back with my findings. You sound like you need an early night of sleep to get your head on straight.

Comment

I'v never hunted public land before and im feeling a little lost .where is a good place to start , and if you guys have any tips on scouting or stand placement that would greatly appreciated. Thanks .

Comment

Originally posted by Coon View Post
                  Definitely do not let this go! That same law enforcement group, not necessarily those officers, gave me a ticket for target shooting in the forest. The D.A. couldn't tell me what law I was in violation of, and told me it wasn't his job to know. They called the officer and the law he used basically said that if the list of legal activities didn't say you could do it, it was illegal. If it is illegal for me to target shoot in the SHNF, it's illegal for them as well. Not to mention the foolishness of random shooting out there during hunting season.
                  Dave

Made the call, spoke with the director, his response was it sounded unusual and he would investigate. Hopefully I dont become the target of some rogue officer......

Comment

Nubbin Buck

Sure wish I could shed this nubbin buck title so I can use PM's. Someone mentioned you needed 30 posts, does that mean 30 new topics started within the forum or do replies to others messages count. It seems like I should be well over 30 between this year and last.

Comment

Just take me with you... Ill set up 100 yards upwind and either push them to you or take them out myself... Either way we avoid the tragic event of them dieing of old age!
                      thats where Norskman has his stand, if he would have been there sunday morning he would have had a shot, deer all over his game cam

Comment

Sure wish I could shed this nubbin buck title so I can use PM's. Someone mentioned you needed 30 posts, does that mean 30 new topics started within the forum or do replies to others messages count. It seems like I should be well over 30 between this year and last.
                        Ask 30 questions on here and I'll send you a PM with all the answers

Comment

You have 29 posts, one more post and you will be nubbin no more

Comment

lmao you have 29 exactly... reply to this and your set. =P

Comment

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
                              You have 29 posts, one more post and you will be nubbin no more
                              Beat me to it. =(

Comment

Not seeing deer

Originally posted by Buck-Chaser View Post
                                Hey guys!! Looks like we are going to have a good year. I went to scout this weekend and so far things are looking good, looks like we are going to have a mass crop. all the oak trees are loaded with acorns. I did not see any deer but did see alot of pig rooting most off it along creeks.
                                I not seeing deer in my old spots that I narmaly do well in or at lest see deer. Is anyone have any luck at lest seeing deer?

Comment

Working...
                                X