No announcement yet.

2023/24 TP&W Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son (11 y.o.) and I drew the National Refuge Muzzleloader Deer for the Trinity River - Hirsch Unit in January. Has anyone hunted this unit or a nearby unit? I'd love some tips/advice on what to expect. I'm used to hunting open land here in N.TX with bow/rifle.​

Comment

I went 1 for 30 or so this year. Drew Archery Exotic LANWR

Comment

My last draws are Gemsbok and Oryx. And I'm pending 2nd draw. Only expected as much . Oh Well, come on 2024-2025 season!

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
          My son (11 y.o.) and I drew the National Refuge Muzzleloader Deer for the Trinity River - Hirsch Unit in January. Has anyone hunted this unit or a nearby unit? I'd love some tips/advice on what to expect. I'm used to hunting open land here in N.TX with bow/rifle.​
          I've hunted the Hirsch Unit before. Search for it and you'll see my thoughts. Long story short, it sucks and I'm sorry that you burned any points on it. Stray dogs running all over the property. I saw 3 packs of feral dogs. like 8+ dogs in each group. These weren't someone's huntin dogs either. it was all breeds from chihuahua all the way to labs and bulls and everything in between. Void of wildlife. Meth squatters camps all over down there. I didn't have any issues with breakins but I was worried constantly. Looks like a lot of "Wrong Turn Folks" down there.

But... there is sign everywhere of animals. I put up a camera and saw some deer, no monsters and not as much hogs as some of the other units seem to suggest. all at night. Not sure if they are on the adjacent private lands during daylight hours or what... They seem to be very smart or very weary of human presence.

Comment

I too drew the Hagerman Hog tag. Still undecided if I'm going to take it.

I've had the opposite problem as a lot of y'all.

Between my daughters, my buddy and myself, I've drawn 8 permits this year!!! It's unbelievable.

Antlerless/Spike that I had to pass on due to conflicting with another draw... That stung because I had to eat 7 years worth of points.
            NWR General (The conflicting hunt)
            E-post Multi Species
            E-post Waterfowl
            NWR Muzzleloader
            NWR Feral Hog
            Youth Either Sex
            Youth Feral Hog

Having said all that, I just don't know if I can swing that Hagerman trip. Still 1 day left to decide.

Comment

0 for 33 for me again this year. Where’s that Senior division.

Comment

Originally posted by Static1968 View Post
                Finally drew adult Hog. Mad Island with 5 PP's.
                Have 4 PP's in youth hoping the boy can draw Hog also.
                (4 points was not enough. Waiting on second draw) This is his last year, hate to see those points go to waste.
                2nd draw came through so points were not wasted.

Comment

Got a surprise this morning drawing Mason mountain spring turkey on the 2nd draw. Had 9 points

Will be 2nd time I've hunted Mason as I got drawn 20 years ago for their Waterbuck hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post

what would the difference be?
                    Bigchief pretty much nailed it.

Say there are 10 spots for a hunt.

With (true) preference points:
                    Nine applicants have the most points of all applicants (20 points). All nine get the tag/permit. 15 applicants have 19 points and they do a random draw amongst these 15 applicants to see who gets the last tag/permit. Anyone applying with 18 points or less is basically never considered/has no chance to do anything except build more points.

With Bonus/Loyalty points:
                    Those same nine applicants get their 'name in the hat' 20 times, the 15 folks with 19 get 19 chances, and so on down the list for all applicants. The drawing is random and first-time applicants have a chance to draw while the 20-point people have no guarantee (though they will have better odds). Squaring or cubing points will increase the odds of high point holders, but still doesn't guarantee anything.

No matter the system the biggest issue with 'point creep' is the law of supply and demand. Not enough opportunities and high levels of interest in those opportunities will result in high point totals.

Comment

Anyone else gonna be down at Black Gap 12/4?

Comment

Originally posted by jordan View Post
                        Anyone else gonna be down at Black Gap 12/4?
                        What did you draw? I hunted it last year GDE.

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
                          Nice to wake up to an email saying we drew the chap.
                          Anyone else draw Chap on 2nd draw?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                            I haven't been able to message lately either. I do not have a map as I've never hunted there. You drew the either sex category? My plan is to hunt it for ducks. If they don't have water I may opt out of going altogether. I'll definitely be calling leading up to that one to check on the status of things. Still waiting on that Gus Waterfowl to draw. Hope it has some water come winter time. Would be cool to hunt those areas of the state as I've really only ever hunted down in the coastal marshes.
                            How's Keechi been? Do they have water? Many ducks using it?

I drew the waterfowl hunting January.

Please keep me posted on how you do.

Send me a PM if you'd like.

TIA​
                            Last edited by CTR0022; 12-06-2023, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X