Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
    TT unfortunatly to stay at BLORA you have to have a military ID. I am not sure where the close cilvian place is to camp but I thank there is a place down 439 which is right out the east gate. Once you get to the front gate of the post go to the vistor center on the right and get a vistors pass so you can go to the sportsman center. While at the vistor center you can register you weapons there. (dont take them in). Go to the sportsman center and purchase all of your permits you will need a hunter safety course. While you are there ask them for a permit to get in the gate and they will hook you up so you won't have to go through the vistor center each time.
    Hope this helps

If you can't find any other place, the Corps of Eng. has camp grounds on both Belton Lake and Still House Hollow. Just looked up the fees for Still House (Belton is probably the same) .....

Camping Fees:

Campsites with 20-30-50 amp electrical service and water. - $20.00 per night.

Double sites with 20-30-50 amp electrical service and water. - $36.00 per night.

Dana Peak Park Tent Only (Primitive) Campsites. - $10.00 per night

Dana Peak & Union Grove Park Tent Only (Electric/water) Campsites. - $16.00 per night

Union Grove Screen Shelters. - $30.00 per night.

Comment

Thanks Ed I forgot about them.

Comment

Some of you more experienced guys might appreciate this..

My dad took me to the Hood about 38 yrs. Ago to hunt. Never killed a deer,but for a 12 yr. Kid,riding in an Army truck was the best thing. Was told not to walk around( unexploded ord.),and that just added to the fun.

The best part I remember,was getting to eat in the mess hall with the soldier's, I can still taste the S.O.S today. Love that stuff. Just being that close to everything that was Ft. Hood made a lifelong impression on me,I could have cared less about a deer.

I have said it before,and I will say it again... To ALL who have served,and currently serving, thank you for your service.

Comment

Did anyone see any deer today. Not me. Got to my blind this moring and the top and 1 wall were collapsed. Some of my mesh was missing from 3 or 4 of the windows. I thought someone may be messing with it but when I got out this morning I found the camo net that I had on top about 10 yds from the stand so, I'm thinking maybe it was cows.

Comment

The cows were all over me last night, even with the rain and wind. Didn't see anything last night. Didn't go out this am. I will be in the blind this evening though.

Comment

Originally posted by Regalrod View Post
              The cows were all over me last night, even with the rain and wind. Didn't see anything last night. Didn't go out this am. I will be in the blind this evening though.
              Same here I woke up heard all of the little pats of rain on the roof looked outside and looked like a huricane so I went back to bed. If the rain and wind stops then I will go out this evening if anyone is out there this morning GOOD LUCK.
              And since I am home I might as well watch the race so well hit the woods after the race or take a portable with me. I hate ESPEN cant pick them up on my 7 inch tv so I have to listen to the radio. Go #99

Comment

Amen was a great morning to sleep in might take Chris out this evening if its not a down pore...If it is tomorrow will be a great evening to hunt

Comment

We need the rain but why when you plan to hunt?

Comment

So if area access says your area is open but when you call in it says closed and off limits, that means it's shot out?

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                      Some of you more experienced guys might appreciate this..

My dad took me to the Hood about 38 yrs. Ago to hunt. Never killed a deer,but for a 12 yr. Kid,riding in an Army truck was the best thing. Was told not to walk around( unexploded ord.),and that just added to the fun.

The best part I remember,was getting to eat in the mess hall with the soldier's, I can still taste the S.O.S today. Love that stuff. Just being that close to everything that was Ft. Hood made a lifelong impression on me,I could have cared less about a deer.

I have said it before,and I will say it again... To ALL who have served,and currently serving, thank you for your service.
                      Ah the good old days. I can rember when I started hunting showing up at 0:dark 30 and puting my permit number in a hopper then standing out in the cold hoping your number was called. Back then even when the lower enlisted were called 3-1 there were times I still did not get out. When I made E-5 I went home a lot a cold mornings after a hot breakfast and a lot of good old stories.But if your # was called then you would go out back then get on the back of an old dodge M880 most of the time without a top and head to the woods. The good old times.

Comment

Originally posted by twobanger View Post
                        So if area access says your area is open but when you call in it says closed and off limits, that means it's shot out?
                        Call the sportsman center to clear it up

Comment

Only slow Elk!!

Anybody do any good this weekend? I was out Sat evening and Sunday evening. Saw nothing but slow elk. As they say " that's why it's called hunting, not killing"

Comment

I've got a question for ya'll. I plan to do some hog hunting. First off, I've never been, but, would like to start. Ive read a lot of different ideas on how to hunt, but, they weren't specific for any given area. What advice can you give me for fort hood probably area 30's. Is it better to night hunt? If so, do you use lights or wait for a full moon?

Comment

Did anyone do any good this weekend?
                              The cows keep getting into my blind in 1 spot and then my other area is always closed. I feel like it is too late to put up a stand and I don't have another area picked out. dilemmas dilemmas dilemmas

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
                                Did anyone do any good this weekend?
                                The cows keep getting into my blind in 1 spot and then my other area is always closed. I feel like it is too late to put up a stand and I don't have another area picked out. dilemmas dilemmas dilemmas
                                Never too late for a new spot Lance To your question about doing good the wife shot a 4 1/2 year old doe this morning Good shootin Babe

Comment

Working...
                                X